OM-140 Pickup Options

Reaction score
Hello all. First, let me say how nice it is to finally join your ranks. After a very long time after Guild worked its magic on me, and after a bit of saving, I rolled the dice and ordered an OM-140. It's, for me at least, absolutely perfect but now I have to face the next hurtle- what to put in it for a pickup.

I'm sure someone will point out that the OM-140E comes with a Fishman system, however the deal I got going without the Sonitone was far too good to pass up (there was a model specific price match) and also- based on the reviews I could find on YouTube at least- I wasn't sure the stock system was what I was after. I figure what I saved by going this route will be spent on getting a system better suited to my tastes, so I'm happy with this.

In terms of sound, I personally have never enjoyed piezos and prefer (at least the idea of) having an on-board mic instead, although I'm not married to it.
I'd like to take it out the open mics, or house jams (so, into the board), and I don't see me using it in a full band setting (it could happen, but it's not something I envision.

My initial thought was something along the lines of the LR Baggs Lyric, or the iBeam (which I understand to be sort of a mic-y kissing cousin to a piezo) but in creeping this forum a little I've seen mention of a K & K system.

Budget wise I'd be hoping to come in around $200USD/$250CND/several pounds.

So, with all that in place, what do you folks suggest for an OM-140 or even just an OM body shape?
I can do a lot repairs and such myself, but I also have access to a great luthier if I get in too deep.
Thanks.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI Rigel, welcome aboard!
Although I'm not a good source for suggestions for that, a little friendly bump will help it get back up into ready visibility in time for the weekend, when there's a little more "action".

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Rigel7 and Welcome to LTG! If you are considering a pickup and your qualifications are not liking a piezo and wanting to have a mic I would suggest the DTAR Multi-source Wavelength 18 Volt pickup. It is the pickup that Guild used on their High end models throughout New Hartford Connecticut production and they are Awesome. You can find the pickup system for between $159 and $195 new with all the components online. It has an undersaddle pickup that runs off of an internal mount 18 volt preamp with a built in condenser mic attached to the sound hole controls. The 18 volts instead of 9 volts eliminates the Quack associated with normal piezo pickups when they are pushed too hard so you have almost unlimited headroom and never get that quack no matter how hard or soft you play. Then you have the condenser mic on the sound hole controls that you can dial in how much signal from the mic you want mixed in with the undersaddle pickup signal. This system works great whether you are using the softest touch for fingerstyle or really driving your guitar strumming or flatpicking with a pick. It runs off of 2 AA batteries and everything is mounted inside the guitar so there is no cutting into the side or anything like that, Just drilling a larger end piece hole for the 1/4" cable connector. This system is the most accurate reproduction of the actual guitars acoustic signal that I have ever heard. Here is a link to a shop that has them.

http://shorelinemusic.com/products/...t=1171990100&gclid=CJK6j4G-9dECFRc2gQodUgwL-w

There are members here who have them and absolutely love them for solo performances or Full band. This pickup is just a suggestion and advise you to check out multiple pickups to see what is right for you. Best of luck and let us know how things turn out and once again, Welcome to LTG!

TX

Last edited:

rwmct

Reaction score
I have the USA built equivalent, the F-30 standard. The original owner put a K&K mini in it. I don't use it, but it seems like a good match for the guitar.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....something along the lines of the LR Baggs Lyric, or the iBeam (which I understand to be sort of a mic-y kissing cousin to a piezo) but in creeping this forum a little I've seen mention of a K & K system....

I'd expect any of those to be excellent, and the DTAR mentioned by TX is probably the ultimate. I sure love it in my F50R.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To derail a bit... I've been wondering what it would take to put a pickup in either my F47 or D55. That would be a good choice, but I would be paranoid about taking a drill to the end of the guitar.

Reaction score
Test test... having trouble getting my replies to work. I hadn't thought about the D-TAR, I know it used to be stock. I like the hybrid idea... still not sure about the piezo side of things though. But I like the idea. Very tempting.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
If you want the best acoustic tone get a mic.
A Shure SM57 BeatA can be purchased for $150.00 including stand and chord at Guitar Center.

Where you are playing solo or small group it will sound great.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I imagine a Shure SM57 would get the job done. I'd have to convert the XLR to mono 1/4" to plug it into something. But in a louder group setting, feedback would be a problem.

Big-Al

Reaction score
The D-TAR multi-source solution sure sounds intriguing. I had the OEM UST/internal mic systems in a couple of Alvarez guitars that sounded quite good . . . very natural. I imagine that the D-TAR unit would be at least as good.

I currently have Baggs Lyric systems in my two Guild dreads but I seldom use them. One of those has been in three different guitars. My opinion is that the Lyric doesn’t quite live up to the hype. I’ve moved the mic to different spots in the guitars and tried various EQ settings to make it work . . . and it’s sort of OK . . . but still sort of boxy and hollow and lacking in bass. I've also used the Ibeam in a couple of guitars. It was also OK, but far from 100% natural. I also had a Baggs Element(UST)/Ibeam blend system in a Larrivee guitar. It was pretty OK, but again not 100% natural.

For the last couple of years, I’ve almost exclusively used the K&K Meridian Pro microphone/preamp system. It’s an external condenser mic with a padded bracket that clips to the guitar. The preamp can power the mic with a 9 volt battery when hooked up with a ¼” cable to a guitar amp or with external phantom power if it’s hooked up to an XLR equipped system. I use mine mostly plugged into the guitar channel of a Fishman Loudbox Mini. It sounds very natural. I play in a mostly folksy-rootsy oriented group at a fairly large church and feedback hasn’t been a problem. Having the mic mounted so close to the guitar probably helps with that. Playing with a full-on band in a smaller venue might be a different story.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello all. First, let me say how nice it is to finally join your ranks. After a very long time after Guild worked its magic on me, and after a bit of saving, I rolled the dice and ordered an OM-140. It's, for me at least, absolutely perfect but now I have to face the next hurtle- what to put in it for a pickup.

I'm sure someone will point out that the OM-140E comes with a Fishman system, however the deal I got going without the Sonitone was far too good to pass up (there was a model specific price match) and also- based on the reviews I could find on YouTube at least- I wasn't sure the stock system was what I was after. I figure what I saved by going this route will be spent on getting a system better suited to my tastes, so I'm happy with this.

In terms of sound, I personally have never enjoyed piezos and prefer (at least the idea of) having an on-board mic instead, although I'm not married to it.
I'd like to take it out the open mics, or house jams (so, into the board), and I don't see me using it in a full band setting (it could happen, but it's not something I envision.

My initial thought was something along the lines of the LR Baggs Lyric, or the iBeam (which I understand to be sort of a mic-y kissing cousin to a piezo) but in creeping this forum a little I've seen mention of a K & K system.

Budget wise I'd be hoping to come in around $200USD/$250CND/several pounds.

So, with all that in place, what do you folks suggest for an OM-140 or even just an OM body shape?
I can do a lot repairs and such myself, but I also have access to a great luthier if I get in too deep.
Thanks.

Welcome aboard sir. As you have seen quickly this is a great community. It looks like you've gotten some good interaction here, but let me say I played the OM-140e yesterday at Sam Ash and damn it was nice. I have owned a few MIC's / GADs etc., but this thing felt really good. I found the fishman system that came with it to be really nice. However, I run my D-30 with a k&k and a body rez pedal for gigs and it has always treated my well.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Test test... having trouble getting my replies to work. I hadn't thought about the D-TAR, I know it used to be stock. I like the hybrid idea... still not sure about the piezo side of things though. But I like the idea. Very tempting.

Hey Rigel7, The cool thing about the DTAR is with the 18 volt preamp the Under saddle transducer part of the pickup doesn't sound anything like a 9 volt UST does. Honestly it is amazing the range that you have with just the 18 volt UST without the mic dialed in. I play and write all styles of music from Hard Driving heavy pick strumming styles all the way to the other end of the spectrum like very soft and delicate finger picking where subtle nuances and dynamics need to be heard. Just the 18 volt UST does an Amazing job of staying crystal clear when you are really driving your acoustic and then without changing anything I can go straight into a finger picked song without losing any of the small details and note inflections. Add the On board Mic into the mix and it is pure acoustical Heaven my friend. Even though the low profile condenser mic is mounted to the sound hole control ring it is suspended in a gel substance inside it's housing which lends to it's wonderful ability to project the true sound of the guitar.

As far as your replies not posting right away that is because you are a new member. The first couple of posts by a new member are monitored and approved by an admin so we don't get internet bots trying to pop up on to the site and to make sure you are a real person. It only takes a little while until your responses will post immediately after you submit them.

Hope all is well and have a good one!

TX

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I have on most of my acoustics a pietzo under saddle plus humbucker in soundhole - wired in stereo-jack and connected into two channels of modern digital mixer the possibilities are enormous .

Someone suggested Shure SM57 - now I do not intend to be rude or anything, but in my book they make semidecent doorstops - good for many things, but not for something, where you wish to have clean, clear high frequencies.

Since I happen to have some Shure SM11 lapel-microphones around, I just clipped one inside the soundhole of my F50R on low-e-side. Immediate impression was quite ok - with some experimenting to find best location - and right microphone - there are many fine lapel mics around - I also have some fine german MBHO condensers, that propably yield finer results, but are more expensive - same with Neumann and others
- dynamic if you wish to wire it asymmetrical and connect into guitar amp
- condenser, if high end is more critical, but then phantom-power is required.

Looks like you have interesting test-period coming - please let us know results-

Last but not least - WELCOME