Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to a long time Guild player! :smile-new:

walrus

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I used to watch the show back in the day. Funny stuff. It was before I turned into a Guild addict so I don't remember the guitar he played much. But, good on him. 80 is a fine age to be.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to a guy who always appealed to my weakness for the absurd and goofy side of life. :eagerness:

Joe

He was such a nice boy until he fell in with that hippie crowd.

tommy-smothers-and-john-lennon.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bet TS's D55 put JL's refinned J160E in its place...

snob.jpg
:friendly_wink:
It probably woulda been true, but I think we figured out a coupla years back it's not one of his D55's at the bed-in.
The one photo I can find showing the front looks like no neck inlay, also, no sunburst.
White binding in '69 probably means D40 or D50 (guessing probably a D50 because it's what D55's were derived from.)

Enlarging helps see the fretboard but it's still kinda dark.
Johnny, don't know if you're aware of this but Tommy is actually the father of the D55, when he started ordering D50 Specials: D50's with F50 necks.
When he started using one on the show Guild created a new model number for it in '68, and it was known as the "Television D55" available by special order only for the first several years.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Gotta love Timothy Leary with no shirt, trying to keep time...

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm sure you've seen the video, Al - I'm not sure he knows he has hands...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
:friendly_wink:
It probably woulda been true, but I think we figured out a coupla years back it's not one of his D55's at the bed-in.
The one photo I can find showing the front looks like no neck inlay, also, no sunburst.
White binding in '69 probably means D40 or D50 (guessing probably a D50 because it's what D55's were derived from.)

Enlarging helps see the fretboard but it's still kinda dark.
Johnny, don't know if you're aware of this but Tommy is actually the father of the D55, when he started ordering D50 Specials: D50's with F50 necks.
When he started using one on the show Guild created a new model number for it in '68, and it was known as the "Television D55" available by special order only for the first several years.

I learned something! I used to love watching them.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Tommy and Dick were (are) so talented and funny. What a true revolutionary thing they did with The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. And let's not forget that Glen Campbell gained public fame by being their summer fill in. Happy Birthday Yo-yo man!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tommy and Dick were (are) so talented and funny. What a true revolutionary thing they did with The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. And let's not forget that Glen Campbell gained public fame by being their summer fill in. Happy Birthday Yo-yo man!
I agree, Teej!! Even as a youngster I thought it was funny and even my stoic and serious parents were heard to chuckle a bit! Happy Birthday, Tommy!! :encouragement:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Tommy and Dick were (are) so talented and funny. What a true revolutionary thing they did with The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.
Right.
They had on groups like Buffalo Springfield (bassist busted for pot) and the Doors (who'd manged to get themselves banned from Ed Sullivan for saying "higher"),the Who (amateur explosives experimenters), and Pete Seeger (whose guitar killed fascists);
(from Wiki):
"Seeger's appearance was his first appearance on network television since being blacklisted in the 1950s; it became controversial because of his song choice: "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy", an anti-war song that the network considered to be an insult to Lyndon Johnson and his Vietnam War policy. The song was censored on Seeger's first appearance but permitted on a later appearance."[8]

Perhaps understandably CBS simply couldn't reconcile themselves with sentiments like this:
Censorship-Quotes-10.png

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
...and Pete Seeger (whose guitar killed fascists)
I think that guitar belonged to Woody Guthrie - "This machine kills fascists":

This%252520Machine%252520Kills%252520Fascists%252520-%252520Woody%252520Guthrie%25252C%252520two%252520guitars-8x6.jpg

I know of The Smothers brothers show mainly from this forum & am very thankful for that. I did see the clip of the Who performing on the show in The Kids Are Alright as a teenager in the 70s but not knowing it was the Smother Brothers show & that Tommy was doing the post explosion interview ("and who's the guy playing the sloppy drums").

Great show & Tommy seems like such a great character. Hope he had a wonderful birthday.