Ngd: S-275

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We've got lots of nerve endings in those fingertips.
Why butter feels so good.... aside from that, I agree as to how amazing one millimeter here or there can completely change the overall feel of a neck, be it on profile, width or depth.
(And why I love the Gibson necks so much) <running for cover> :shocked:

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ran into this with my Corona D40, after getting used to my D25 and F65ce's "Modern Flat Oval" necks.
It always felt "stiffer" up and down the fretboard, I figured it had what I called the "Fender set-up", being from Corona, and it felt like the '80's Fender MIK flattop I'd had before.
Checked the action height: spot on Guild's specs where I like it, nut gap at first fret was fine, so it was a head-scratcher until one night while I was trying to "bond" with it, I noticed the neck had this very slight "thickening" at about the 5th fret, you wouldn't notice it normally, but it was an inconsistency in the tapering towards the heel, a slight "bump".
So I started looking at it more closely and realized it actually had a "D" profile (actually what Fender calls an "oval C", and almost what they call a full blown "U" higher up the neck.
Don't know if Fender was hand-shaping 'em in Corona like they did in Westerly but the "chunky" profile seems to be the most commonly mentioned from there, even in electrics.

After a couple of years I got used to it, after dedicating a lot of time to it in while the D25 was getting a refret, and afterwards too.
Now with 10-years older hands it's actually more comfortable for some things like scales higher up the neck, above the 7th fret, in fact....
The whole geometry of the hand varies from person to person but I think it's also related to what the relationship is between your thumb's ability to apply leverage at the back of the neck and what that forces your fingers to do on the fretboard.
So the thickness affects the thumb leverage.

CarvedNeck3.jpg

I also first saw this in Fender's "Frontline"catalog from '01:
guitar-neck-contours.jpg

Note the importance they place of fretboard radius as well, that's another part of the equation.
And while looking up those photos even found there's demand for asymmetric profiles, yeesh!,who'da thunk?:
Asymmetric-neck-shapes-3.png

I have Jacksons with asymmetric neck profiles and they're fantastic! They also have varying neck radii where they're more curved on the first few frets and flatter up the neck. When it's done right it's completely unnoticeable, at least to me, but they're very playable.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why butter feels so good.... aside from that, I agree as to how amazing one millimeter here or there can completely change the overall feel of a neck, be it on profile, width or depth.
(And why I love the Gibson necks so much) <running for cover> :shocked:

Mmm.... butter...

I like a big Gibson neck, too. I can admit that, though I'll also admit to thinking spandex was cool...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I think much of why I've never been particular about neck width or shape has to do with my first two guitars: one had a chunky neck while the other was fairly thin. Both necks were probably 1 5/8". I liked both guitars so I played 'em pretty much equally.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think much of why I've never been particular about neck width or shape has to do with my first two guitars: one had a chunky neck while the other was fairly thin. Both necks were probably 1 5/8". I liked both guitars so I played 'em pretty much equally.

-Dave-

As much as I constantly whine about neck width, my only guitar for 20 years was an S300A-D with a 1 5/8" neck so I can also adapt fairly easily. With the luxury of choice, however, I'll go wide and fat every time. You know, when it comes to guitar necks.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Renuncia, that is a beauty! Looks like the one Chris has - love that finish!

If you ever feel like posting a photo of your CR-01, I'd love to see it!

walrus

Renuncia701

Reaction score
20170202_162620_zpsv03po6bl.jpg

The guitar in great shape overall, but had not had routine maintenance. Pots were bad and emg pick up not really my preference. Hope to finish in next couple of weeks

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So does Superman.
I rest my case.

NO, Superman's costume was crafted from the blanket the Kents found him wrapped in, in the rocket from Krypton.
No explanation abut how Ma Kent was able to sew him a costume from indestructible fabric, though.
Waitamminit, are you saying Spandex is indestructible because it comes from Krypton?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
NO, Superman's costume was crafted from the blanket the Kents found him wrapped in, in the rocket from Krypton.
No explanation abut how Ma Kent was able to sew him a costume from indestructible fabric, though.
Waitamminit, are you saying Spandex is indestructible because it comes from Krypton?

Spandex is indestructibly AWESOME!

55a7f4d0c95b9355949febc97252608c.jpg

Renuncia701

Reaction score
I believe thats right, Nuts on both guitars look original, Not any indication of replacement. Usually I see some disruption of the finish, glue, or indications of removal. I assume you specifically mean the 275?
I am open to being wrong. Check the pis of 275 nut and see what you think
275%20nut_zps1keaobbe.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I believe thats right, Nuts on both guitars look original, Not any indication of replacement. Usually I see some disruption of the finish, glue, or indications of removal. I assume you specifically mean the 275?
Right, due to comments about stock brass nuts.

I am open to being wrong. Check the pis of 275 nut and see what you think
275%20nut_zps1keaobbe.jpg
Tough call, it does look good, and I'm strictly amateur about Guild electrics myself, but the thing that immediately pops out at me is "black"?!?!?
And that truss rod cover's upside down (standing joke around here, meant in good humor)
I had the nut replaced on my D25 and it's seamless so assumed there wouldn't be finish problems if done by a pro..

Last edited:

Renuncia701

Reaction score
I don't know enough about the guitar to know, Looked at some pics on internet looks like most brass and some others that are other material. I agree that nuts can be replaced without obvious sign
though its rare not to see some indication.My speculation was thickness diff would show, could be completely wrong. Would be interesting to know

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Spandex is indestructibly AWESOME!

55a7f4d0c95b9355949febc97252608c.jpg

I wish I could post Grace Slick's Boy Howdy Beer profile pic, but it'd just get "moderated".
A Google Images search for "Grace Slick Boy Howdy Beer" 'll bring it right up, though.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Say what you will, looks like spandex to me....

11w7qjn.png