Ngd: S-275

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wish I could post Grace Slick's Boy Howdy Beer profile pic, but it'd just get moderated.
A Google Images search for "Grace Slick Boy Howdy Beer" 'll bring it right up, though.

Got it. Didn't see any spandex, though. :friendly_wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't know enough about the guitar to know, Looked at some pics on internet looks like most brass and some others that are other material. I agree that nuts can be replaced without obvious sign
though its rare not to see some indication.My speculation was thickness diff would show, could be completely wrong. Would be interesting to know

Right, it was more curiosity than anything else on my part.
An since nut material can be had in varying thicknesses it'd be easy start with one slightly over-wide and sand it down to exact width of empty slot.
One thing we know is that Guild seemed to change specs on a whim, especially on electrics, for what was probably some valid reason or another.
In fact I'm beginning to think they did it just to create some variety in production of a given model, so they weren't all "cookie cutter" copies of each other.
And if you'd been looking for one with "such and such" a variation, you'd probably snatch it right up.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Say what you will, looks like spandex to me....

11w7qjn.png

All right then, now we know.
Spandex comes from Krypton.

Smitch

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
My 1982 S275 is just over 7 pounds, so it's actually one of the lighter guitars I own. My 1981 M80, by comparison, is thinner but weighs a whopping 9.5 pounds. Every time I pick it up I wonder if it's made out of ironwood.

It just goes to show how each guitar is different. I was surprised at how light the S275 was, especially since I've kind of grown to expect heavy guitars when it comes to Guild solid bodies.

My bad, I was confusing it with the M80, which is a whopper!!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Guitar GAD! Can't believe I missed this thread. As far as neck width and shape it is a funny thing what feels comfortable and what doesn't to different people. I can say that after my many surgeries on my left arm I found my left hand was extremely sensitive to Neck Shape. I found that regardless of nut width, if I played a neck that had a sharp angle from at the edge of the fretboard transitioning from the side of the neck to the fretboard itself that my hand would start to go numb and fall asleep. If I played a neck that had a rounded or sloping transition from the edge of the neck into the fretboard I had no issues with the hand going numb. Granted the difference in terms of actual measurements is extremely small, it is amazing how much difference that small amount makes! Once again, Beautiful S275 and I hope you enjoy it!

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whaaaaaaaaat?????!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya mean to tell me ya don't have the word "spandex" in yer search alert?

Nope, My search alert has the words, "Lycra", "Aquanet", and "Parachute Pants". LOL!:shocked:

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I was thinking more of this kind of thing when I fondly recall the scent of Aquanet.

a2d26e40261fced623e224982f9bcdc0.jpg

Oh, who am I kidding...

hair-bands-80s-90s-then-now-23.jpg

It's both, sadly.

matsickma

Reaction score
That goodness I kept into the Blues, Hendrix, SRV and "classic rock" in the 80's. My "hair band" was Van Halen.
I did wear Levi's 901 jeans with the buttons in lieu of a zipper. What a pain!
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've added a schematic to the S-275 review page. I may try to do this moving forward, though it's kind of a PITA. Looks nice, though, and it's a good reference that seems to be lacking for some models.

Guild-S275-Wiring.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. It's actually not that bad. The only complicated bit is the phase switch.

Check it out - signal originate from a pickup. Let's look at the neck (top) pickup. The signal follows the red wire and goes to the volume pot. From the volume pot follow the dotted yellow line to the pickup selector switch. If that switch is in the wrong position, the signal stops there. With the switch in the correct position, the signal then follows the dotted blue wire to the tone pot. The tone pot "bleeds" treble off by shunting some of the signal through a capacitor which acts as a filter (it's actually way more complicated than that, but the visual works). Once we're through the tone pot, the signal follows the dotted blue line to the output jack and not it's on the cable and the amp, pedal, or whatever is on the end of the cable's problem.

In some ways it's really that simple. In other ways it's not, but that's the basics of how it works.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, now that you've walked me through it, it's making sense to me. Thank you.
Now of course, my S-100 has a phase switch and I just can't seem to get a grip on that thing.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, now that you've walked me through it, it's making sense to me. Thank you.
Now of course, my S-100 has a phase switch and I just can't seem to get a grip on that thing.

Phase is actually a cool thing. I have an article coming on that re: pickups, but check this out.

This is the output from my oscilloscope. The yellow line is signal one, and the blue line is signal 2. There are two signals and they are in phase. In phase means that the humps and valleys in the signal are lined up at the exact same place. The purple line is the two signals added together. When two signals are in phase and added together the signal is doubled which is why the humps and valleys are larger in the purple signal.

Two-AC-Doubled-Math.png

Now consider the same signal but 180 degrees out of phase. What that means is that where there's a hump on signal A, there will be a valley on signal B. It looks like this. If you look, they are completely opposite signals. The purple line is the two signals added together, only this time instead of there being a doubling of the signal, the signals each cancel each other out. This is the fundamental way that a humbucker works and the way that noise-cancelling headphones work - by inverting and cancelling unwanted signals.

Two-AC-Inverted-Math.png

So what happens when you use the phase switch in your guitar? Imagine in the images above that the yellow line is the neck pickup and the blue line is the bridge. When you flick the phase switch, you reverse the phase of the bridge pickup (at least on a Guild) which makes the blue line flip over - it inverts the phase. So why doesn't the sound go away completely? Good question!

The two pickups never have exactly the same signal for a variety of reasons, but they are close - close enough that reversing the phase on one of them makes the end result sound thin - like some of the signal has been sort of... canceled out.

Additionally, it's a bit more complicated than this because reversing the magnetic polarity is one way to reverse phase while reversing the coil orientation is another and they can have different effects. Additionally a pickup does not make pretty pure sine waves like the ones shown not to mention frequency response and more math than anyone wants to read, but in a nutshell that's what's happening.

If you listen to any of my review sound recordings where the guitar has a phase switch, you can hear how thin and tinny the sound gets. You may also notice a lack of volume.
It's easy - it's physics! :cool:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful, GAD, Thanks again. Finally I'm able to wrap my head around this phase thing (Well, kind of anyway).

By the way, I don't care what you say in your other current thread, you make perfect sense to me, my friend!

Looking forward to your up coming article on this, and I'll go back and see if I can find your recordings with the phase switch.

:loyal::adoration:

Thanks,

Terry

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's one - 1975 M80 guitar: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2016/11/02/guild-1975-m80/

In all the recordings I go through the following settings, in order:

Neck pickup
Both pickups - in phase
Both pickups - out of phase
Bridge pickup

If you pay attention to the 2nd and third examples in each recording, you'll hear the difference between the two phase settings, and since you now know that the phase switch involves the adding of two signals, you now also know why it only works in the middle position - it needs two signals!