Ngd: S-275

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for my answer, gentlemen! It's what I also do, just double checking with the experts!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I also think a certain Paul McCartney "borrowed" it for "Sun King" on Abbey Road.....

Yep! I think that song is in its entirety a blooze pastiche. The Beatles do a similar thing with the harder-edged version of that style with "Yer Blues."

-Dave-

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
There's an alternate way of setting up a guitar & amp that I like and often use when "playing with others": dial up the treble pot on your amp a notch or two from your preferred setting, then use the guitar's tone pot(s) to dial it back again. When you want some extra kick to your sound, just dime the tone knob. I often do the same thing with volume too.

-Dave-

DThomasC

Reaction score
With high gain the upper harmonics are super important. Dialing back either the tone or volume just seems to flatten those harmonics (though sometimes dialing back the volume just a hair is a good way to take off a sharp edge when you want to.) When I was learning to play I plugged my S300 into some no-name boost/fuzz pedal and then into my Princeton Reverb which I had modified to use the 'vibrato' tubes for more gain. It sounded like it was about to explode and I was always reaching for the volume and tone knobs to make sure they up all the way.

But, in recent years I've been wiring more guitars "50's style" and find that there are a lot of good (not muddy) sounds with both knobs rolled back. I think this is especially true with P-90s where a light and airy - but still bright - sound can be found. Interestingly, I usually find that sound with both knobs at about the same place: both on 7, or both on 6...

Different people feel differently about 50's wiring, but I know I always left all the knobs on 10 before I started wiring guitars that way. Now I use them all. Could be coincidence. Could be the style of music I play has changed (less gain.)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I like '50s wiring when playing a guitar that already has it. Otherwise I prefer to add a treble bleed cap/resistor combo to a "modern wiring" setup when I think the guitar will benefit. With some pickups the sound kinda goes dead with volume reduction via modern wiring. But with others it just mellows out nicely. My SG Jr. is a '67 with modern wiring…rolling off the volume to 6–7 gives me a great "neck" pickup sound, which I use a lot.

Re. Sun King: it is a Lennon song but IMO folks tend to over-emphasize the writer in latter period Beatles songs and undervalue the band as a still-functioning collaborative unit.

-Dave-