D55 & D40 New Cordoba Production

idealassets

Reaction score
p.s. After 2 years of no US made guitars, I think the US production of the D40 & D55 is a great idea, since they are being used so much by those Indy groups and others.

I owned a D40 for a short while, but was not wild about it since it lacked the bling and didn't have any top binding deco, just a dark brown strip there. The bling is what I do like about the D55 and a few admirers have also complimented the look when they see it.

krugjr

Reaction score
do we know if Ren is still "over seeing" the production...was he at winter namm.....is he still a part of Guild moving forward?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
do we know if Ren is still "over seeing" the production...was he at winter namm.....is he still a part of Guild moving forward?

My understanding is that he retired last year and that was the end of his association with Guild and Cordoba. There is a post here somewhere on the forum about it. Haven't heard if he was at NAMM 2017 with Guild or not but I don't see why he would be since they were the ones who announced his retirement.

TX

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I owned a D40 for a short while, but was not wild about it since it lacked the bling and didn't have any top binding deco, just a dark brown strip there. The bling is what I do like about the D55 and a few admirers have also complimented the look when they see it.

I am just the opposite! I like the plainer ornamentation of the early Martin guitars. Acoustic Guitar magazine recently had a very positive review of the new Guild D-40 (February 2017). One of the things that impressed me from the photos with the article, was that Cordoba/Guild decided to go with a very "stripped-down" aesthetic, emphasizing the tonewoods themselves.

Differences in taste and flavors are what make the world an interesting place! :smile-new:

Bill

griehund

Reaction score
I am just the opposite! I like the plainer ornamentation of the early Martin guitars. Acoustic Guitar magazine recently had a very positive review of the new Guild D-40 (February 2017). One of the things that impressed me from the photos with the article, was that Cordoba/Guild decided to go with a very "stripped-down" aesthetic, emphasizing the tonewoods themselves.

Differences in taste and flavors are what make the world an interesting place! :smile-new:

Bill

+1
classic understatement.

idealassets

Reaction score
My understanding is that he retired last year and that was the end of his association with Guild and Cordoba. There is a post here somewhere on the forum about it. Haven't heard if he was at NAMM 2017 with Guild or not but I don't see why he would be since they were the ones who announced his retirement.

TX
That's a bummer, all the less likely that Guild/ Cordoba would do my suggestion open a custom shop and offer remakes of the F312 and F612.

idealassets

Reaction score

Bill
I do admit that the 2007 D40 (New Old Stock) that I owned was of a much different sound than my D55, even with the difference in the cost and the tone woods taken into consideration. I bought the D55 used from Elderly Instruments as soon as I played it due to the sound, but I bought the D40 long distance from a shop, and when I played it just didn't care for the sound. In the long run it was no problem to sell the D40 on ebay, and I even made just a few dollars on the resale back then. Wish they all worked out that way!