Putting humbuckers in an M-75 Aristocrat?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has changed the pickups in an M-75 Aristocrat? I like the guitar but it hums like a son of a gun, and I was thinking of putting humbuckers in it. I don't know if it's possible, though, since there aren't the usual access panels like on other electric guitars. If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful.

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know very little about pickups and I haven't been able to find any info about changing pickups on this particular guitar.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've toyed with the idea of throwing a set of minibuckers in mine, but haven't done it. You would have to rout the top for regular sized humbuckers. I would guess that p90 sized humbuckers would be the least intrusive. Alternatively, you could pick up an E-H Hum Debugger, and that would help.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was wondering if anyone has changed the pickups in an M-75 Aristocrat? I like the guitar but it hums like a son of a gun, and I was thinking of putting humbuckers in it. I don't know if it's possible, though, since there aren't the usual access panels like on other electric guitars. If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful.

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I know very little about pickups and I haven't been able to find any info about changing pickups on this particular guitar.

As far as to how; like most hollowbody archtops, the pickups and wiring are all done through the pickup routs and the f-holes on the top. You'll need to fish wires through. Google and youtube are your friends. e.g. https://youtu.be/mq28680rmh4

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Like Default says - humbuckers in a P90 form factor would probably be your best bet. Not a direct straight swap, but the guitar would need only minor modifications to make that work. I've heard good things about Fralin's noiseless P90's.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I assume the tops of these are parallel-braced, so humbucker cutouts may or may not cut into the bracing, which you'd want to avoid. Some sort of stacked P-90s would be a reasonable retrofit, as others have suggested. Least invasive and cheapest option might be to get the stock pickups wax potted and see if that helps. It should cut down a bit on microphonic feedback, etc. and might make them a little quieter, but could also dull some of the sparkle and responsiveness.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Though wax potting can be a great solution for squealing and microphonics, wax potting won't stop hum. You need the phase inversion of the second coil for hum cancellation. I agree with the idea of stacked P90s as a possible alternative, though I think you'll lose a bit of the magic in the guitar. Personally, I'll deal with P90 hum in order to get that sweet P90 tone.

You can get noiseless P90s from Fralin or Kinman, both of which seem to be highly rated, though I have no direct experience with either. I do have Fralin pickups in my Strat that are fantastic, but they're regular single coils.

Links:

Kinman: http://kinman.com/model-products.php?pid=6&products=P-90

Fralin: http://www.fralinpickups.com/product/p90-hum-cancelling/

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Electro-Harmonix/Hum-Debugger-Effect-Pedal-112545369.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWMWXGP&gclid=CIb4tLWo6tECFYiLswodszIMnw&kwid=productads-adid^78244844802-device^m-plaid^143212097322-sku^112545369@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
I'd try an EHX Hum Debugger first. It's the least invasive option and you get to keep those great sounding Franz repros. Worked for me. If you don't like it you can always return it.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Another option would be to reverse the magnets in one of the pickups so that they are humbucking in the middle position. That's the simplest and least expensive option.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
You'd have to reverse the winding in one of the pickups too if you want hum cancelling. OTOH a dual P-90 guitar with the pickups magnetically out of phase (but still "noisy") can sound terrific. Should be equally so with a pair of repro Franzes.

I have a Peterson tuner pedal that can double as a kill switch, and have used it this way with hum-prone guitars. The Hum Debugger does work well too.

-Dave-

Brown-Recluse

Reaction score
Here is one that I found years ago on ebay:

a2c67a0b-f332-4df9-8b11-b4d50cea14c0_zps1570c6c3.jpg

IMG_1587_zps078a903f.jpg

It had already been converted to humbucking pickups when I got it. They are a pair of early 60's PAF style patent number pickups and surrounds. The braces were cut to accommodate the pickups. I subsequently had them cleaned up and reinforced. Even with the additional work, I've got less than $700 into it. I sold my blonde '60 Aristocrat in 2015 and kept this one.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Thought they were humbucking with both on.

Mine (2013 NS Aristocrat) aren't, but I don't know if that's the norm. Mine could have two neck or bridge pickups instead of a matched pair. I recently played a lovely LP goldtop with P-90s that came from the factory both magnetically out of phase and humbucking. Stuff happens. :)

-Dave-