Strap Button Placement

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
My 2005 D-55 doesn't have a strap button on the neck.
I'm thinking about adding one.
I do not like the heel placement but Guild necks have a very different shape to them.
I have seen some people put the button on the direct back of the neck but I don't like that any more than on the heel.

I like the traditional placement but I'm not sure where the best spot will be to get the results that I'm looking for.
Any suggestions?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Joe has photos for you. I'm sure he'll post them soon. This is not a Guild, it's my Taylor but it's the right spot as far as I'm concerned.....

strapbutton.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yep, that's the spot!

When Joe posts his photo, I will say "mine's there, too!".

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the New Hartford Factory Strap pin placement on my F512. It is identical to all of My New Hartford Guilds that came factory with a pickup including my F50R, F50, and D55. Only Acoustics with a pickup came from The Factory at New Hartford with an upper strap pin for some reason. Hope this helps TMG!

kyiynr.jpg

TX

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i have 3 or 4 with the strap pin in the same exact spot as Tex and Tom above. total game changer vs. tying/attaching the strap up behind the nut. even without plugging in, or no pickup at all, I prefer to play standing with the strap, just like an electric.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of tying a strap at the nut on an Acoustic either Mav. I know it doesn't exert a lot of force but besides being uncomfortable to me I really don't like using the Headstock as an anchoring point for anymore tension than is absolutely necessary. If for any reason there is an unexpected pressure applied to the guitar you now have one of the weakest points of the guitar (being the neck transition to the headstock) that is already under 150+ pounds of tension from the strings taking the majority of the force. This leads to bad things.

I prefer the same strap button position on all my acoustics (pickups or not) as it allows the strap to still be comfortable while safely securing the guitar. The only instrument I have a strap tied at the neck on is my Breedlove Manodolin. It is ok with the strap tied on the neck as the distance from the bottom pin to the neck on the Mandolin is about the same distance as the bottom to top strap button on my acoustics.

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tex, you make an excellent point, the headstock base is a fragile and delicate area to have that direct pressure. I always figured it was better for the strap to be pulling from the heel of the neck than the headstock, but never really looked at it the way you explained. either way, it is just so much more functional/comfortable- makes me a better player- with the strap pin at the heel, just like an electric.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
When I bought my (2007) Tacoma D55, it came with a strap button on the upper bout, backed by a nice piece of wood. When I bought my 2013 F512, New Hartford did not install a strap button on it (ordered it new but it was "made," as there were none in stock to ship) presuming as there were no electronics. I brought it back during our last LMG, and Kim had one installed...and it was on the upper bout, maybe as I asked for it there (?) When the D55 was replaced under warranty (again, Fall of 2013), the new one had the strap pin on the upper bout, but then she had electronics also...

Both my Huss and Collings have them installed on the neck heel...do not care for them there, seems the strap twists in an odd way...but I am mostly sitting when playing anyway so really no matter...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Only Acoustics with a pickup came from The Factory at New Hartford with an upper strap pin for some reason.

There was definitely a block of wood inside the instrument that could be used to anchor a strap pin on the side, as opposed to the neck, in factory electric instruments from New Hartford. That same piece of wood was not there on pure acoustic instruments. I have a vague recollection that it was deliberately added to the electrics because someone in New Hartford believed that people who needed the electronics were more likely to play standing up, and hence need a strap. I think this was mentioned at an LMG and I'm sure someone, perhaps even me, has told the story before on LTG.

Cold Finger

Reaction score
I have a vague recollection that it was deliberately added to the electrics because someone in New Hartford believed that people who needed the electronics were more likely to play standing up, and hence need a strap.

Whoever that was must have stayed on the East coast after the NH shutdown. Nobody in Oxnard figured it out. My M20e has no front strap button and because it has a copper color pin on the bottom I can't even match it. Guild doesn't offer a matching pin for the front, even as after market.:heart-borken:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a vague recollection that it was deliberately added to the electrics because someone in New Hartford believed that people who needed the electronics were more likely to play standing up, and hence need a strap.
The tradition actually goes back as far as Westerly:
All the DCE-xx's and Fxxce's had 'em, but pure acoustics never did.
My F65ce has it on upper bout but so close to the neck it's about the same as having it on the heel, where I prefer it also.

I know it doesn't exert a lot of force but besides being uncomfortable to me I really don't like using the Headstock as an anchoring point for anymore tension than is absolutely necessary.
I even take that a step further, I never hold a guitar at the nut end of the neck, I always grab it right where it joins the body if I have to grab the neck at all, like taking it out of the case.

Last edited:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
My neck looks a lot like the one in the first picture on the Heel Question post.
There just isn't a good place for a strap button on the neck of my D-55.
If I try to place it in the usual /traditional spot on the side of the neck, it will have to be higher up and closer to the fret board that I want. The strap will be in the way of playing the guitar up the neck.

I may just stay with the neck strap after all.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey TMG,
My (now departed) '74 D-25M and '92 D-55 both came to me with metal strap buttons (the D-55 was a strap lock) mounted on the neck heel I replaced them with nice snakewood buttons that were (then) available from LMI. Tho' not exactly close-ups... you can get the gist of where they were mounted from these pics.

D-25M

89749506.jpg

D-55NT

146364418.jpg

I didn't/don't often play with a strap, but tried them out a few times... they seemed secure and pretty stable. Given that none of my other guitars had heel buttons, and it was a pain re-adjusting my strap all the time, I more often than not just tied the strap with a rawhide lace around the headstock.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, GardMan.
I don't like the looks or the feel of a button in that location.
I may still add a button on the side of the neck after seeing more Guilds with one done that way.

Reaction score
My 2003 JF30:

BlkGldNew2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My 92 JF30 on the left.....my 2012 F-50 on the right:

GuildSizeComp3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And my 1975 G-41:

back1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Of these, the only one that came from the factory with electronics is the 2012 F-50.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I had always heard that placing the strap button on the treble side of the neck heel was to lessen the chance of splitting the wood. On the side, it runs slightly counter to the grain. Again, this may just be more guitar folklore.

Bill

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neotech-Aco...daptor-Loop-/262585710088?hash=item3d2353f608

No need to 'tie off' your strap each time with this. Hanging your guitar from the neck heel throws your guitar out of balance in your hands. Just let go of it and watch the head drop (on some guitars). Attachment at the nut frees up your fret hand to focus more on agility without the extra task of supporting the neck. Detrimental pressure/tension is minimal as you're mostly cradling it while playing. I have these loops attached to all my guitars for quick access, and even have straps on each one ready to go and NEVER play unstrapped sitting or standing, as I like to play with guitar riding high up on my chest to increase wrist comfort while fretting.

No drill, no spill.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neotech-Aco...daptor-Loop-/262585710088?hash=item3d2353f608

No need to 'tie off' your strap each time with this. Hanging your guitar from the neck heel throws your guitar out of balance in your hands. Just let go of it and watch the head drop (on some guitars). Attachment at the nut frees up your fret hand to focus more on agility without the extra task of supporting the neck. Detrimental pressure/tension is minimal as you're mostly cradling it while playing. I have these loops attached to all my guitars for quick access, and even have straps on each one ready to go and NEVER play unstrapped sitting or standing, as I like to play with guitar riding high up on my chest to increase wrist comfort while fretting.

No drill, no spill.
With my wide, soft leather strap I never have a problem with the head dropping, and I like to keep my head (guitar) a little on the higher side. Take away my hands and the guitar stays put. Works for me. :smile-new:

Joe

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hanging your guitar from the neck heel throws your guitar out of balance in your hands. Just let go of it and watch the head drop (on some guitars).
The answer to that is a proper strap, like Joe explained.
Attachment at the nut frees up your fret hand to focus more on agility without the extra task of supporting the neck.
I have exactly the opposite problem: that tie string coming off the nut angles over the fretboard at an angle that interferes with my free motion at the first and second frets: first and second fret barre chords in particular or scales on the first couple of strings.
And I still don't like the idea of any additional stress on the neck.
It's like applying torque at the end of the neck, it turns the neck into a lever.
And mounting a button on the underside of the heel helps counteract neck diving tendencies as well.
I do agree with you on keeping the guitar kind of high on your chest, but I have to compromise with keeping it low enough to rest my forearm on the lower bout.
So a given player's build might well be something to consider as well.
I'm only about 5'8'' and 170 lbs.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

No drill, no spill.

Each to their own and I am not saying there is a correct way or a wrong way. I agree with the proper strap that Joe and Al both speak of. Been playing live for years both standing and sitting with the strap button on the heel and never had a neck dive problem. The strap at the nut gets in my way as well and you won't find anything wrapped or tied around the string nut on my $3500 and higher value guitars. I have seen damage to necks done on stage with folks who tie off their strap at the nut. Not for me!

TX