Typical costs for luthier services

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, mavuser. Will do on both.

Right, point was, ya gotta ask any given guy what goes into his re-set.
But judging by those prices on bone nut and saddle, and set-up, he'd be high even out here.
And another point for Fixit is that he's actually a Guild authorized repair center now.
And is probably closer to you (shipping) than another guy, Chris, up in New England, who was also a Guild employee and is authorized.
I'm embarrassed I can't remember his handle (moderator Chaz probably would) at the moment, but he deserves a mention as well.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chris, up in New England, who was also a Guild employee and is authorized.
I'm embarrassed I can't remember his handle (moderator Chaz probably would) at the moment, but he deserves a mention as well.

"Acornhouse" ?

And yes, Chris' work is outstanding too. I got a chance to see one of his build (for one of our mods actually) and was impressed by the craftsmanship quality.

Sorry to have left you out Chris! ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Acornhouse" ?
Sorry to have left you out Chris! ;)
No, Acornhouse isn't an ex-employee, I'm thinking of the guy whose wife posted a few months back to remind us he was "open for business".
He was a New Hartford "closure casualty" who did repairs at a Guitar Center for a while before "going independant".

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhh.... ok. Well Acorn got his plug anyway (now I hope he does repair... do you Chris?).
So much talent on this board... :tickled_pink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhh.... ok. Well Acorn got his plug anyway (now I hope he does repair... do you Chris?).
So much talent on this board... :tickled_pink:

Yeah, just tried scanning a few subforums to see if I could find that thread but no joy.
Was over a year ago now, I think, but he's been mentioned in the last 6 or so.
Still, I'm pretty sure Chaz knew him from an LMG event.

justforfun

Reaction score
If one of my babies needs attention it goes to Fixit. Great work, exceptional service, you can bank on him. Actually you can bank on "them". Great team at Jacob's Custom Guitars.

I bought an all hog D25 (early 70's internet buy in "great" shape). It had some rather major issues and I shipped it directly to Tom. He checked it over and recommended I return it. Tom shipped it directly back to the original seller who , to his credit, quickly refunded my payment. Dave then informed me of a similar guitar on Craigslist about 90 miles south of me, which I bought and am thrilled with.

You get what you pay for and in this case a heck of a lot more. Besides, guitars always play better after a vacation in Florida!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
+1 for Fixit/Jacobs Custom Guitars, he reifinished one of mine and it came out super nice, very fast, and the price was right. He used to work for Guild in the 70s.

Chris Seeger is the other former Guild employee referenced above. I believe he worked at New Hartford and is currently based near Hartford or New Hartford, CT. His wife is a forum member here and posted when he switched from the Guild factory to his own operation, and subsequently he got busy after that, i think was her follow up.

I recommended Guru guitars above since its close to where you live, ive been in there and seen their restorations. so if you want some general info/local options they are cool to talk to.

markb

Reaction score
I had John Mello re-fret, cut a new Brazilian bridge, new bone saddle and nut, take care of a slightly curled tear drop end of a pick guard on my '67 F20 for $900. Best $900 I've ever spent. He's a master. Some may consider too pricey. I don't. His shop is in Kensington CA. (Berkeley) not exactly a low rent area.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Also just for the record I have a local guy on Long Island, I met trhough Sandy (Twocorgis) here on the forum, and he does amazing work at rock bottom prices. You should see some of the things ive given him, when he gives it back to me i question if it is even the same guitar. Thanks Sandy!

DThomasC

Reaction score
I do all the small stuff myself, and occasionally some big stuff, but I sometimes bring instruments to Bernie Lehmann in Rochester NY. A great guy - one of the few people that I actually enjoy standing around and gabbing with. I'd say his prices are average, but when I look around at his space that he has to pay rent on and heat, and take a look at him, and remember that he has a dog at home that he has to feed, I usually drop a 30% tip on the counter.

I hate giving up my money, but don't you think these people deserve to live at least as well as you and I?

awerking

Reaction score
I hate giving up my money, but don't you think these people deserve to live at least as well as you and I?

I agree, DThomasC. Luthiers are master craftsman and, like everyone else, they have the right to earn a decent living. For folks that have never used the services of a luthier, its hard to have any basis for what "market rate" may be for a particular service. Hopefully, this thread can provide some of that info.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I agree, DThomasC. Luthiers are master craftsman and, like everyone else, they have the right to earn a decent living.
Good point about "master craftsmen".
Long time go we had a thread about the difference between a "luthier" and a "tech" and I seem to recall the concensus after discussion was that an actual luthier was somebody who actually built stringed instruments according to the definition of the term.
Of course they may also or even primarily do repair, but their expertise is still a level higher than somebody who's only ever done repairs.
We still use the term loosely to describe highly skilled repair people, and "tech" for somebody who knows how to do things like set-ups and fret dressing but probably doesn't have a lot, if any, actual repair experience.
Personally I also think "Technician" is a great and honorific term for folks who specialize in repairing/setting up electrics, there's a whole other body of knowledge to deal with there, and especially if they can repair hollow-bodies.
If they build 'em they're Luthiers.
"Hacks" is still a derogatory term for hacks, and the real point here is to try to have enough basic understanding to avoid being victimized by one.
:friendly_wink:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good point about "master craftsmen"...

In addition to the roles of technician and luthier, I believe there is room for another: "master repairman". There are many guitar repair professionals who are most assuredly masters at their craft, for whom the term technician could be demeaning, and yet they may not be luthiers by trade (or by strict definition).

While many a luthier may have been a repairman at one point, that is not the case for all. Amongst those that were, they may or may not have excelled at (all) repair, though they could be masters at (their own) new builds. Likewise, those who came from unrelated fields directly to lutherie may or may not be proficient at certain repairs.

A technician is someone I might engage to perform a setup, install electronics, perhaps even fashion a nut or saddle.

A master repairman is someone I might even take my own instruments to if they were damaged, or if I were attempting to overcome a defect (brace coming loose, hairline crack, finish flaw, etc.).

Questions welcome. :untroubled:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In addition to the roles of technician and luthier, I believe there is room for another: "master repairman". There are many guitar repair professionals who are most assuredly masters at their craft, for whom the term technician could be demeaning, and yet they may not be luthiers by trade (or by strict definition).
Works for me.
I'm sure we'll still keep reverting to our casual usages in posts but it's useful for trying to narrow down whether somebody's worth the prices they're quoting, and why.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, Acornhouse isn't an ex-employee, I'm thinking of the guy whose wife posted a few months back to remind us he was "open for business".
He was a New Hartford "closure casualty" who did repairs at a Guitar Center for a while before "going independant".

Chris Seeger.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Br1ck

Reaction score
I too pay Silicon Valley prices. I had my D 35 worked over last year. Neck set, fingerboard planing, frets, nut, saddle. Bridge had been shaved, so Hans Moust had one for $100. There was a crack at the soundhole repaired and the neck had to be finished as someone had sanded it to bare wood. Had the work done by a third generation family owned shop. It came to $1100, so with the bridge $1200. Paid $200 for the guitar and don't know what I could buy for $1400 I'd like better.

Walking Man

Reaction score
First of all the Fret King needs to learn how to spell the word "intonation".

Secondly, I think most of the prices quoted are high. Having said that, I have a luthier who is both competent and cheap.

Case in point:

I recently had a complete refret done on a '53 X-150, which also had a small hump at the 14th fret, so while the frets were off, I had him level and radius the fretboard from end to end. Basically a new guitar now from a playability standpoint. "Plays like butter".

Cost: $200, including period-correct frets.

At the same time, I had him level, crown and dress the frets on a '54 X-200S. Cost: $50.

His going rate for a neck reset is $300-$350.

Set-up: $50

I had him carve a new bridge for a '71 D-25, which had developed a crack between the peg holes. Cost: $115.

This guy lives out in the country, works out of his home, has low overhead, and can offer full-service luthery on the cheap. For anyone in the Central Virginia area, I would highly recommend him.

Yeah, I caught the "inotation" as well: You'd think!, ah...never mind.
Wait, Wait, Wait. If he lives out of the country who's doing the babysitting? :eek-new:
No babysitter? NO baby!
And...I heard all guitars are "loud as a cannon and play like butter :afro:

jcwu

Reaction score
I too pay Silicon Valley prices. I had my D 35 worked over last year. Neck set, fingerboard planing, frets, nut, saddle. Bridge had been shaved, so Hans Moust had one for $100. There was a crack at the soundhole repaired and the neck had to be finished as someone had sanded it to bare wood. Had the work done by a third generation family owned shop. It came to $1100, so with the bridge $1200. Paid $200 for the guitar and don't know what I could buy for $1400 I'd like better.

Just curious, which shop did you go to for your repairs?