Starfire IV - Westerly

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The guitar label is a Westerly Label and the serial # is not on any charts I am finding
Right, charts actually stop at '97.
As mentioned, Hans will know.
How does Hans know?
Because he was literally scavenging the dumpsters at Westerly while it was being shut down, and has possession of any existing production records from there, as well as any additional info given by owners from various places over the years.

We just veered into when Corona actually started producing electrics because Corona Guild history is pretty murky compared to Westerly.
But a Corona will absolutely have a Corona label so you can be sure yours is a Westerly at least.
:friendly_wink:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How does Hans know?
Because he was literally scavenging the dumpsters at Westerly while it was being shut down, and has possession of any existing production records from there, as well as any additional info given by owners from various places over the years.

You've posted that before, but it is only partly true! I never did any 'dumpster diving', but I know people who did and I got quite a bit of parts that were considered obsolete by FMIC from them. In some cases I payed quite a bit of money for these parts, but I was also lucky to get some parts before they were thrown into the dumpsters. The dumpsters in the back of the factory were definitely off-limits to visitors like me.
The production records that I have were researched by me over a longer period of time. A lot of what I have was copied from the handwritten ledgers that were kept by the foremen on the work floor. What was given to me by the various owners is only a very small percentage of what I have in my database.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It has been confirmed (Thanks Hans) it is a 2000

Then it is exactly the same guitar as mine, which is one of my all-time favorite Guilds:

GuildStarfire4-2000-FullTop.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Are we entering the Guild realm of "alternative facts?" :-D
{insert pulsing red-faced embarrassment icon here}
Nah I just got memory distortion over the years since the first time I read he was there at close of Westerly and told that story.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck, Sitedrifter! I think $1200 is a totally fair price for a Westerly or Corona Starfire IV in excellent condition. I really hope that this is the one!

Reaction score
Question about Guild Starfire IV from Westerly - said to be from 2000/2001

3/2/17: I have the option to buy a Guild Starfire IV with natural blonde finish with less than 12 hours playing time, a virtually unused instrument in excellent condition, for $1200. It comes with the original Guild case and owner’s manual. This Guild is one of the last from the Westerly, Rhode Island plant late 2000 or early 2001. Do you think this sounds like a good deal? Do you know which pickups this is likely to have? It has a Westerly label with serial number AG001482.
tluoh9t5knuv8tfsu02f2k5u4aqso54o
199y31t5un96zeafxpbuefcgcfknl2sf

Pictures didn't display here but here are URLs:
https://app.box.com/s/tluoh9t5knuv8tfsu02f2k5u4aqso54o

https://app.box.com/s/199y31t5un96zeafxpbuefcgcfknl2sf

Last edited:

Frank4001

Reaction score
3/2/17: I have the option to buy a Guild Starfire IV with natural blonde finish with less than 12 hours playing time, a virtually unused instrument in excellent condition, for $1200. It comes with the original Guild case and owner’s manual. This Guild is one of the last from the Westerly, Rhode Island plant late 2000 or early 2001. Do you think this sounds like a good deal? Do you know which pickups this is likely to have? It has a Westerly label with serial number AG001482.

I can't see your picture but of the two top side adjustment screws are closer together its the Fender Buckers (which I happen to like and you can hear in my vid in "From the Stage")

If they are both more towards the out side edges of the bezel they should be the Duncans.

Check out GAD's (member name) posts about pickups. He put out a very helpful and thorough piece about the pickups.

I would make sure the frets, neck, truss rod screw ect...are all good, straight and functional.. and not worry too much about the pickups....but that just me...

Sitedrifter

Reaction score

Is this the one in NJ Craigslist?

Reaction score
I can't see your picture but of the two top side adjustment screws are closer together its the Fender Buckers (which I happen to like and you can hear in my vid in "From the Stage")

If they are both more towards the out side edges of the bezel they should be the Duncans.

Check out GAD's (member name) posts about pickups. He put out a very helpful and thorough piece about the pickups.

I would make sure the frets, neck, truss rod screw ect...are all good, straight and functional.. and not worry too much about the pickups....but that just me...

Here's a picture of the pickups. Fender, I guess?
https://app.box.com/s/0wsu1nbbupwsqo2k7upserx3cp7puuh5