Starfire IV - Westerly

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Is $1200 for a Starfire IV a great price? the guitar is in pretty much mint with one owner.

I need help here to get my wife to understand it is a good price. (if it really is)

Mark

kakerlak

Reaction score
What era? It's kind of the lower end of the normal range for late Westerly stuff. Nice enough deal if it's got a lot of figure in the maple (assuming it's maple). Price is farther below market if it's from the HB-1 era (or older, but something tells me this is a '90s-'00s model).

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
It is a 2000/2001 Westerly and it is Blonde maple with nice figuring front and back. Original owner, original case and even the owners manual. Blue book says I am on target with the price but blue book is a little behind (low) on their prices so that is why I asked.

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
It is a 2000/2001 Westerly and it is Blonde maple with nice figuring front and back. Original owner, original case and even the owners manual. Blue book says I am on target with the price but blue book is a little behind (low) on their prices so that is why I asked.

It's not a great deal, but if you're actively looking for one, I wouldn't wait for another to come along. I'd figure you could get your money back out of it, at minimum.

dbirchett

Reaction score
That should be a fantastic guitar. Better than the Newark Street (and those are really nice). The Westerly Guilds from the 90s and into 2000-2001 are some of the best bargains out there. I love my 2001 Starfire V. Doesn't hurt that they are beautiful guitars as well!

Go for it!!!

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Just need the wife to say YES. Maybe I should post her email addy and you all can email her telling her it is a great deal.

J/K LOL

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Have you played it? Sight unseen, that price could still work, but if you have held it and you know you love it, the price is even better!

Can't help with the spouse - you are on your own there!! :smile-new:

walrus

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Have you played it? Sight unseen, that price could still work, but if you have held it and you know you love it, the price is even better!

Can't help with the spouse - you are on your own there!! :smile-new:

walrus

I am going to drive to where it is and check it out in person before I buy it. However, the purchase allowance from the wife is still pending. :eek-new:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would say it's a pretty good price. That time period probably means it has the Fender Humbuckers, which many people (myself included) feel were not up to scratch. But, Guild build quality was high in the late Westerly period (around 2000) and they are nice guitars. Just go see it and play it and see if it talks to you.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Can you date the year of the guitar via it's serial number? I am looking at charts and cannot figure out a pattern. I am told this is a 2000/2001 SF 4 but how do I verify?

dbirchett

Reaction score
With a 2000/2001 Starfire, it will have the Fender HB1s. The change from the Seymour Duncan SD-1s came, I believe, during 1998-9.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Can you date the year of the guitar via it's serial number? I am looking at charts and cannot figure out a pattern. I am told this is a 2000/2001 SF 4 but how do I verify?
For absolute certainty after '97, it's Hans:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
He's said before that charts only go up to '97 even though they imply '99.
That'll also help if the pickups've been changed out.
(EDIT: ah, posted before reading whole thread, missed the point about being one-owner and "mint", in which case pickups should narrow it down, but we've seen "non-spec" original equipment from Guild as well as modified stuff that was claimed to be "all-original", and that's where Hans shines for us.)
Or, if it's after the last s/n on the list and it's got the Westerly label, '01 was last year of Westerly production in any case.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've seen pics of the guitar. They're Fender HB1s. The guitar looks just like mine.

Based on the pics I'd say the guitar, if from Westerly, is a '99 or '00. Not that it's in any way proof, but every 2001 Guild I've owned has been a Corona.

dbirchett

Reaction score
GAD, You are far more expert than me but Hans told me that my 2001 Starfire V was one of the last of the Westerlys. Have Sitedrifter forward the serial number to Hans and he will tell all of us.

Frank4001

Reaction score
I think if the overall guitar and frets are in good shape you have a good deal.
I paid $1,000.00 for mine about 4 yrs (appx) ago and just, this past year, had to re-fret it.
Have seen some much more expensive and heard of some around that area since.
There is a great tech around here who works out of his house so it didn't sting badly and plays great.
(Everyone here knows I actually get along fine with pickups but it seems to be a bone of contention, horses for courses)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, You are far more expert than me but Hans told me that my 2001 Starfire V was one of the last of the Westerlys. Have Sitedrifter forward the serial number to Hans and he will tell all of us.

Hans is more expert than us all. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've seen pics of the guitar. They're Fender HB1s. The guitar looks just like mine.

Based on the pics I'd say the guitar, if from Westerly, is a '99 or '00. Not that it's in any way proof, but every 2001 Guild I've owned has been a Corona.

Interesting point.
I didn't know if Starfires carried over to Corona (Shoulda read your sig), I couldn't recall having seen a specific example here, so I just stuck with '01 being last year of Westerly production as being accurate.
Your comment confirms that they were building electrics in Corona before acoustics.
Bluesbirds are known example, IIRC.
Now that I think about it, those would have been much more amenable to adopting to Fender's primarily solid-body builders at the time, as opposed to the hollow bodies, but we do know there were Corona X-150's, just not sure about anything else.
Your '01 X500 carries a Corona label?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting point.
I didn't know if Starfires carried over to Corona (Shoulda read your sig), I couldn't recall having seen a specific example here, so I just stuck with '01 being last year of Westerly production as being accurate.
Your comment confirms that they were building electrics in Corona before acoustics.
Now that I think about it, those would have been much more amenable to adopting to Fender's primarily solid-body builders at the time, as opposed to the hollow bodies, but we do know there were Corona X-150's, just not sure about anything else.

Corona actually produced several Electric models into 2004. The made Bluesbirds, Bluesbird P90's, Starfire III's, Starfire III-90's, Starfire IV's, X150's, X160 Rockabillies, X180 Park Avenues, X500's, Benedetto X700's, there was the limited run X550 Paladin, and I am sure I may be missing a few models in there as well. Most were production built models and some were strictly custom shop models. There have been examples I have seen built as early as 2000-2001 from Corona with most being prototypes and such so they were at least putting them together or learning to at that time. I am sure Hans will have lots more info in Volume 2 which I can't wait for it to come out!

TX

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting point.

I'm on the road and can't look, but all the valid statements in this thread are making me doubt my sanity (common). I'll check when I get home.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
There have been examples I have seen built as early as 2000-2001 from Corona with most being prototypes and such so they were at least putting them together or learning to at that time. I am sure Hans will have lots more info in Volume 2 which I can't wait for it to come out!
TX
Yeah it's looking like Fender had already planned to move electric production out of Westerly, maybe even prior to deciding to shut it down entirely.
Another clue might be that '01 "Fender Frontline" catalog I've mentioned recently:
There's a whole lot more finish colors shown in it than the '01 price list, and I suspect it was put together after the price list, and might reflect an expanded range available in Corona.
Nary a mention of where the guitars were made, electric or acoustic.
For any newcomers, I can guarantee that Westerly, (having officially shuttered in August, "IIRC") was still shipping out the last of their inventory as late as November of '01.
It's when my F65ce was shipped.

Last edited: