It's green! - News from NAMM 2017

idealassets

Reaction score
Did someone say maple burst?

cWoSCDil.jpg
Is that some variety of Alembic bridge on there?

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My fading memory suggests that some time in 1967 Starfire II's appeared with a master volume.

The bass in the picture is from 1968.

I'll bite. What do you see that makes it a '68?

I never was good at those find the difference picture games but compared to BA-1427 which should be '67...

Hello Frono,

You're over-thinking this! I can explain to you what the difference is between that guitar and another one from 1967, but that was not my point.

The point is that you posted re. the introduction of the master volume in 1967 and Ralf responded with a photo of a bass that according to him was an instrument from 1967, which it isn't! That's all there is to it!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know very well what Hans has said about batches and numerical order. What is completely new to me and what I am not quite understanding is all your data on pot codes and and why you believe you are dealing with regular production as opposed to an anomaly or post production repair. How many pot codes are you extrapolating from?

'67 was the big year for serial numbers - roughly 1000 from BA-655 BA-1696 and less than 500 for each of the other years. I can imagine making a lot of bodies in necks in '67 and not finishing them until '68 but this is a new hypothesis to me with more speculation than data and I am hoping to change that.

:)

its not a hypothesis with more specilation than data when Hans has already given us the facts and the subject has been discussed in detail multiple times on this forum. And I am extrapolating neck tone pot codes from Wisconsisns Dead bass as well as at least 2 of mine from the same time period, and in looking at many other basses with regard to their bridge shape, suck switch (or lack therof), and even finish/color. its pretty clear to me what was made when.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
A cryptic answer to my e-mail query to Guild as to whether or not a run of green NS SF-II basses lies in our future arrived today:

"Thank you for your interest in Guild Guitars! I believe this was a test run that received positive reviews, so although I cannot say with 100% certainty, I believe you will be very happy in the coming months."

No promise, perhaps, but certainly better than "no such plans presently and future prospects for same seem very unlikely".

Stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A cryptic answer to my e-mail query to Guild as to whether or not a run of green NS SF-II basses lies in our future arrived today:

"Thank you for your interest in Guild Guitars! I believe this was a test run that received positive reviews, so although I cannot say with 100% certainty, I believe you will be very happy in the coming months."

No promise, perhaps, but certainly better than "no such plans presently and future prospects for same seem very unlikely".

Stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed...

If Sandy (Twocorgis) and Frono sent similar emails that might put 'em over the top... :friendly_wink: