It's green! - News from NAMM 2017

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm only interested in a maple burst at this point.
But I am enjoying my mahogany cherry one for now.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Did someone say maple burst?

cWoSCDil.jpg

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I asked guild if they're gonna do a run of green ones any time soon. So far, they ain't talkin'.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I asked guild if they're gonna do a run of green ones any time soon. So far, they ain't talkin'.

Did you ask before or after one was sighted at NAMM? Since we don't know why it was there it could be something they made to "test the waters" or it could be the first of a production run.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
1967:

No suck switch on the NS model...

Ralf

Sorry. The comment about fading memory really could have been translated as "My Guild database is on another computer and I am not going to turn it on just to check on fact that I am reasonable certain of".

Given that the NS SF I was "modeled" on a sweet spot '67, it could be postulated that the NS SF II without the suck switch was modeled on the earlier SF II's which would be '67 or possibly '66. That I do need to check :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i would guess anything with a suck switch has at least one pot date coded to 1968 or later. Wisconsinsdead has a 67 serial number SFII bass with 68 pot code, and a suck switch. there are 67 SFII basses, without the suck switch, for sure.

check this one out on reverb. 1970/Westerly serial # (no "BA"), Later, Westerly, larger headstock, *no suck switch*, mahogany top and back but maple sides...mental!! has what I would call the "1970 burst" seen on some M-85 basses from the same year (but those have maple tops). https://reverb.com/item/4114764-guild-starfire-bass-i-w-hang-tag-papers-1970-cherry-burst

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
i would guess anything with a suck switch has at least one pot date coded to 1968 or later.

Why? Is there something about pot numbering that I don't know that would make '68 dated pots available for use in '67 or are you suggesting a whole bunch of '67 serial numbered necks sat around until '68 or is this just another case where what it obvious to you needs to be explained to me? :)

BA-1521 - SF I with suck switch

A2Usl59mE3dcMnyv-_bbpqxmBCQlG2Z35zGNHme1omBGhN1hx1JAAIH8cLoJfBebt9XEAh8UTO6eEzok0r9a04krGDfgqFH6OHgx73ArhqWv7mqJtoxJJBQ5nJPsKf80d_VeGhp-PTL6BcYXbCfqWHUT7SZpzKOaWoWGFZeNhsTaOSKVHwdEMRlc-eJQTDeetxhuBvjMc4vwaSIc_02uQLgj0f1IoNnBFLfaISaB5a6xJuoCRp2rei0YGIHLd_GFcDF2kzKzJWhqgclZUY4yrTo9Obi90XJt9naSCWsxQ_HXCXzHAJxhciLQEQi5eeUbUAye8sEwFJwuvAhXA1dLFAlGSsTh_4o-PM_dPnkUEmggq-LUlm95I2-ztN0rYJ6twD-Be65yxrRQDYSmHvDXZApMPLhGM0K_JLzAo7rBxa_S3z-PAXNsmN4CKspVOHmthABQikQ-G-DUZlxYvWTCvL4phtjUnSDaOrrd3k3simRPS64WRj-LXJa-JGn0bElxkfJ-K5puQ-t6ee0TmXfYOvRKTn5ZTRa5RjsE0WR_X5OqxsMZfbvr9pe3vZp_mt-zmLrIoUocsjqT06m6DB8D0yZhmIYXr1aLQni0ITMtofVtaMmHQI0A=w300-h400-no

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Why? Is there something about pot numbering that I don't know that would make '68 dated pots available for use in '67 or are you suggesting a whole bunch of '67 serial numbered necks sat around until '68 or is this just another case where what it obvious to you needs to be explained to me? :)

BA-1521 - SF I with suck switch

A2Usl59mE3dcMnyv-_bbpqxmBCQlG2Z35zGNHme1omBGhN1hx1JAAIH8cLoJfBebt9XEAh8UTO6eEzok0r9a04krGDfgqFH6OHgx73ArhqWv7mqJtoxJJBQ5nJPsKf80d_VeGhp-PTL6BcYXbCfqWHUT7SZpzKOaWoWGFZeNhsTaOSKVHwdEMRlc-eJQTDeetxhuBvjMc4vwaSIc_02uQLgj0f1IoNnBFLfaISaB5a6xJuoCRp2rei0YGIHLd_GFcDF2kzKzJWhqgclZUY4yrTo9Obi90XJt9naSCWsxQ_HXCXzHAJxhciLQEQi5eeUbUAye8sEwFJwuvAhXA1dLFAlGSsTh_4o-PM_dPnkUEmggq-LUlm95I2-ztN0rYJ6twD-Be65yxrRQDYSmHvDXZApMPLhGM0K_JLzAo7rBxa_S3z-PAXNsmN4CKspVOHmthABQikQ-G-DUZlxYvWTCvL4phtjUnSDaOrrd3k3simRPS64WRj-LXJa-JGn0bElxkfJ-K5puQ-t6ee0TmXfYOvRKTn5ZTRa5RjsE0WR_X5OqxsMZfbvr9pe3vZp_mt-zmLrIoUocsjqT06m6DB8D0yZhmIYXr1aLQni0ITMtofVtaMmHQI0A=w300-h400-no

Hans has explained many times, the guitar superstructures were made and # stamped in batches, but were not taken in order for final assmebly (hardware, electronics, etc.), which happened much later, in some cases years, as orders for them came in. thats why a lot of 67s have 68 pots and 70s have 71 pots. it seems to me there was a big push in manufacturing superstructures in 65-66-67, and 68-71, during the Westerly transition, was more final assemly and selling off that inventory, ramping up at the new factory with what they had and slowy making new stuff.

you show BA-1521 but actually Wisconsinsdead has BA-131X with the suck switch and a 1968 200K neck tone pot.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"Alas. They are either just teasing us..."

You wouldn't think that people who can create such a thing of beauty would also be capable of cruelty beyond measure...

*Rolls eyes and shakes head incredulously*

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans has explained many times, the guitar superstructures were made and # stamped in batches, but were not taken in order for final assmebly (hardware, electronics, etc.), which happened much later, in some cases years, as orders for them came in. thats why a lot of 67s have 68 pots and 70s have 71 pots. it seems to me there was a big push in manufacturing superstructures in 65-66-67, and 68-71, during the Westerly transition, was more final assemly and selling off that inventory, ramping up at the new factory with what they had and slowy making new stuff.

you show BA-1521 but actually Wisconsinsdead has BA-131X with the suck switch and a 1968 200K neck tone pot.

I know very well what Hans has said about batches and numerical order. What is completely new to me and what I am not quite understanding is all your data on pot codes and and why you believe you are dealing with regular production as opposed to an anomaly or post production repair. How many pot codes are you extrapolating from?

'67 was the big year for serial numbers - roughly 1000 from BA-655 BA-1696 and less than 500 for each of the other years. I can imagine making a lot of bodies in necks in '67 and not finishing them until '68 but this is a new hypothesis to me with more speculation than data and I am hoping to change that.

:)

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath for a run of NS SF-II "greenies". They didn't even deem my query to be worthy of a reply, so I'd say the chances are "no".

edwin

Reaction score
Application for Guild Endorsement Positions

How many times a year do you perform in public, exclusively as a bassist?

What is the average size of your audiences at the above performances?

How many commercial CDs (or equivalent) credit you as a bassist?

How many of those have sold more than 100,00 units?

Are you willing to use Guild basses (built since 2013) exclusively for publicity photos, performances and recordings?

Do you have a problem wearing purple spandex with a green bass?

Apparently I already am a Guild Endorser. Following photo was downloaded from the Guild website a few years back.

I was at the top of the charts at Guild for a week or two. They loved me, and I loved them for that.

207972.jpg

edwin

Reaction score
The bass in the picture is from 1968.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

I remember visiting a studio in Lawrence KS ca. 1992 while on tour there. The studio owner had a green Starfire II, probably around this vintage, I made a halfhearted attempt to see if he wanted to sell it, but I knew he'd never let it go. It was lovely.

And I don't remember much of what happened after the gig. All I recall is getting the truck ready to head to the next town the following morning and our keyboard player running up to us, down the middle of the main street, in full drag, including makeup and heels. I didn't ask, he didn't tell. Ah, life on the road....