Ngd '54 x-50

Neal

Reaction score
And now the collection of single-pickup NYC Guild archtops stands at three.

X-50, among the first made, early 1954. Serial # is 1526. It came to me by way of another LTG member, and needed nothing other than a glue and clamp job on the F-holes, where the wood was starting to de-laminate.

020_zpsn0srmqkd.jpg

Here it is next to its siblings, a ~'54 X-200S on the left and a ~'53 unlabeled cutaway (X-150?) on the right. The X-200 and "X-150" are both 17" and have a laminated spruce top, with laminated maple back and sides, while the X-50 is 16.25" and all maple.

Notice the different finishing treatment each one got.

005_zpsss02cw3u.jpg

009_zpssq6aofdj.jpg

026_zps65ywnx4k.jpg

The "X-150" was just treated to a full refret, while the X-200S still had enough meat left on the frets for a level and dress job. The X-50 does not appear to have been played very much.

They all have distinct personalities, which I will accentuate through the use of roundwounds, flatwounds and semi-flats.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice NY Guild collection you've got there, Neal!

I had a '55 X-50 that was very similar except for a white Franz cover....wish I still had it.
What I really liked was the beefier neck and 25.5" scale.

Neal

Reaction score
Very nice NY Guild collection you've got there, Neal!

I had a '55 X-50 that was very similar except for a white Franz cover....wish I still had it.
What I really liked was the beefier neck and 25.5" scale.

Did the '55 have the inlaid triangle on the headstock, or the waterside script logo?

I am trying to better understand when the change in logos took place.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Mine had the inlayed headstock like yours.....Hans thought mine was an older body/neck that was completed in '55.
I'd be happy to post some photos if you'd like to see.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Another beauty, Neal!

zizala, wow, yours looks new!

walrus

Neal

Reaction score
Zizala, that X-50 looks like a dead ringer for mine, with the exception of the stove knobs, which incidentally also made an appearance on my X200S.

Hans also believes the X-200S was finished at least a year after the body and neck were assembled, thus the S designation. It also inexplicably has only one pickup.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous Neal! I love the photos of the trio. Is that an Old Orpheum Banjo Sneaking in the pic on the shelf as well? One day I will get me a NY Guild, until that point in time I will live vicariously through you Neal and Zizala as well! Great find on the X50, I'll bet she sounds Awesome, Congrats!

TX

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can't add anything new, but wow, that's a great trio of guitars. I would love to hear some sound samples sometime, I'm sure each has a distinct voice.
Congratulations and enjoy!

Neal

Reaction score
Having played the X-50 for a little while, it is definitely the most articulate of the three. It has the best note definition and sustain. Really more of a blues guitar, although I can get a nice jazz tone out of it. Emphasis is on mids and treble.

The X-150 and X-200S are full sized jazz boxes. Much deeper bass response, faster note decay, more "meaty" tone. They were actually too dark with flatwounds, which I might now try on the X-50.

Interesting how different they sound with equivalent Franz pickups.