Guild parlor guitars

awerking

Reaction score
Looking for a list of various model parlor guitars Guild has produced over the years.

My daughter (11) has just started playing. She's small and has a lot difficulty with the size of my D4. I shopped around for 3/4 size acoustics before Christmas, and after trying many including Martin, Taylor, Seagull, Luna, Yamaha etc., landed on a Fender. After playing all of them, the baby Martin stood out as the best sounding of the bunch, the Fender and Yamaha (both very surprisingly) came in a distant second, and the Taylor, Seagull, and Luna rounded out the bottom sounding more like something you might find in a toy store than an actual musical instrument. After trying all, the Fender ticked all of the boxes in terms of sound quality/price ratio, aesthetics (very important for an 11yo girl!), and apparent build quality. The small price tag was particularly attractive for a starter guitar for a tween that may (or may not) stick with playing.

Fast forward one month, four lessons, and lots of playing time with Dad, and my daughter is taking to guitar like a duck to water. And while she really likes the size of her current guitar, she has asked repeatedly why it doesn't sound as good as mine. The other evening she asked me if she could get a Guild! I told her that I was pretty sure that Guild made some parlor guitars (thinking F20/M20), but I wasn't sure exactly how much variety there might be to choose from.

Looking at https://parlor.guitars/list, there is only one Guild listed in their database (the M20). However, it looks like their database lists only current models. Are there any other current (or vintage) Guild parlor guitar models?

I'm not sure that my daughter is old enough to be entrusted with a vintage or relatively expensive instrument, so I'm on the fence about exactly when I'd do this, but I think a good quality parlor guitar would be a great instrument for her to grow into. And if nothing else, it would add another Guild to the mix for me to play every once in a while.

Neal

Reaction score
I would look for a used M-120 (Chinese Guild). They are all solid mahogany, short (24.75") scale instruments that offer the right size and decent quality, in a surprisingly good case, for ~$350.

I owned one for several years as my travel guitar. It flew thousands of miles and held up really well. I liked the tone and loved the playability.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For another inch of width in lower bout there were the USA made F30 and their imported counterparts the GADF30 (later became "F130"), just to expand the options.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider possibly would be the new Guild Westerly Collection Junior Jumbo (Chinese Made). It is a scaled down version of Guilds Mainstay Jumbo line which actually puts it in the Parlor guitar/small OM size range. The scale length is shorter than normal at 23.75" with a 1 11/16" nut width. It has a solid Spruce top, Bone compensated saddle, and the option of Maple or Mahogany for the signature Guild Arched back on the body. For the size range you are looking they really sound good and from what I understand the play ability is excellent on them. I believe you can get them Brand New with full warranty for around $300-$350 with a Gig Bag and the option or Electronics. I have a Niece that is very petite and I am seriously considering getting her one as she is a heck of a musician on clarinet and starting to get more and more interested in guitar. Just something else to consider, I believe Guild has a Video demo of one on their Website and all the specs as well. Here is the link to the Junior Jumbo Specs page and Demo Video on Guild's website.

http://guildguitars.com/g/jumbo-junior-mahogany/

Here is a photo from the website of the Junior Jumbo next to a Full size Guild Jumbo for size reference. Best of luck in your search!

jumbojunior_homeslide.jpg

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
how good is she? ive seen some 11 year olds kick some serious butt. And you want to play her Guild occasionally as well? Don't rule out a USA M-20 either. ride out the starter Fender guitar a little longer and keep your antenna out.

theres this damaged sunburst Oxnard M-20 we've been discussing in the ebay section, maybe worth considering?

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ening-bid-on-Ebay-Case-and-all-Candy-Included

or just look for a player grade vintage, they are out there. The GAD/Westerly series guitars are nice too. I would try to play an American one first though. if she is already telling you what she wants, and sounds like a natural...

awerking

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for all of the info - as usual, LTG members do not disappoint!

The Chinese M-120 and the Jumbo Junior are very attractive from a price perspective. I will definitely have to find some to try out. In the mean time, I like the idea of finding a solid player-grade American M-20 for a decent price. I'm not in a hurry, so there's lots of time to find the right opportunity. It's good to know what Guild options are out there - will certainly make the search much easier!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind that kids don't necessarily react as well to vintage gear as adults. Most appreciate new stuff rather than used, even if the old stuff is better.

Just sayin'.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Don't forget about the A-25 (and A-50) they made for a little while in the '90s... Always thought those were pretty cool. Didn't see one for sale in a quick scan of Reverb, but here's an expired listing, for reference: https://reverb.com/item/1013727-1996-guild-a25-concert-acoustic-guitar-a25-nt-hr

Might be able to land one for a price comparable to a new higher end Chinese instrument like the GAD series stuff.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Keep in mind that kids don't necessarily react as well to vintage gear as adults. Most appreciate new stuff rather than used, even if the old stuff is better.

Just sayin'.

I spent countless hours making the pawn shop and music store rounds with my dad when I was in junior high and high school, looking for cool (and often vintage) guitars. I wouldn't trade those times for anything and he didn't have to talk me into thinking they were cool, either (heck, dad was a drummer).

Reaction score
Cranky old language fussbudget here with a nitpick: Aside from a 3/4 M-20 model that almost no one has ever seen, Guild has never made a "parlor guitar." The standard line has paralleled Martin and Gibson standard instruments designs, with the F/M-20 series roughly equivalent to the 0, the F/M-30s to the 000, and so on.

Historically (and the history is not that deep), a parlor guitar is what was standard size up to the early 20th century--roughly 12" across the lower bout--and even then, Washburn and Martin had were already producing larger models with labels like "auditorium" and "grand concert." The "parlor" designation became popular in the 1980s at guitar shows to distinguish these smaller, older instruments from the more common run of "modern" Martin/Gibson designs. The design envelope is closest to the old Martin size 1 (which used to be their standard model): 12" lower bout, 12-fret/24-7/8" scale.

For comparison with current Taylor designs: A Baby Taylor is roughly equivalent to a Martin 5 or "terz" guitar (so named because it is meant to be tuned up a minor third), while a GS-Mini combines a 00 body with a short scale. (This is pretty much the same design formula as the new Guild mini-jumbo.) Washburn has at various times produced replicas of their 1890s guitars (none of which sound as good as the originals).

None of which really addresses the original question. But as someone who has owned a 1965 M-20, a Baby Taylor, and a GS-Mini, I'd say that either an M-20 or a GS-Mini should be appropriate--the Mini's short scale might be easier on small hands, though both instruments have essentially modern-size bodies. To my ear, the GS-Mini is a more-than-respectable-sounding guitar, but that's a matter of taste, and I liked the voice of my M-20, too.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Taylor GS-mini is a great guitar, that I would have also definitely recommended, but his daughter already requested a Guild!

and yeah kids these days are hipster af

also id stick to an M-20 or M-120, (or F-20) and pass on the A-25.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Cranky old language fussbudget here with a nitpick: Aside from a 3/4 M-20 model that almost no one has ever seen, Guild has never made a "parlor guitar." The standard line has paralleled Martin and Gibson standard instruments designs, with the F/M-20 series roughly equivalent to the 0, the F/M-30s to the 000, and so on..
"Fussbudget" or not I'd call that a history lesson rather than a nitpick and thanks!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the Guild F-20 and M-20 are bigger body size than a Martin O, but smaller body size than a Martin OO. The Guilds, however, are deeper in the body than both Martin O or OO- especially the Westerly's and especially the F-20.

The short scale 60s/current M-20 is the shallowest body, thinnest neck and (full) short scale. with the solid mahogany top and solid flat back, and some Martin Retro strings or John Pearse strings, she sounds mighty, might sweet. The F-20 is a lot louder with heavy mids (also sounds fantastic).

Also to the OP, a 70s (and possibly 80s/90s) M-20/F-20 will be a full long scale and have a rather chunky neck, thats not the one youre looking for, for an 11 y/o. You need the short scale M-20/F-20 (or an M-120).

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider with the New Oxnard Made M20's is that they have a string nut width of 1-3/4" as opposed to the 1-11/16" nut width you will find on the Junior Jumbo and other Guilds. The 1-3/4" nut width may be too wide for her hand at the age of 11. The cool thing about the Junior Jumbo even though it is made overseas is that even as she grows she can still use it later on for a travel guitar and it is a Quality Built Guitar at an Awesome price point. Another great thing about buying a New Junior Jumbo is Most of the online Guild dealers like Sweetwater that have them for sale offer the Factory Warranty and a no hassle return period if she doesn't like it so it really is a No risk if you wanted to try one out. If Sweetwater is a direction you want to go you can also speak with a sales representative and get it a better price than the advertised price. I am honestly thinking about buying one of these for myself just to have, If I do I will let you know how they are first hand. Best of luck!

TX

Reaction score
I bought the first jumbo jr from Sweetwater a week before they got it. It is the mahogany model. For the price paid and ease of playing it is a great guitar. I play with a dulcimer club, a gospel group and in church. The people I play with have been listening to my 78 D25 and 92 D4-12 for years so when I changed I wasn't sure what they would say. They gave many comments but all good. They were surprised with the projection of the smaller body and could hear me easily. I did change the medium gauge strings to a lighter set for ease of playing. Also the pick-up in it works great and comes stock. The short scale took some getting used to after playing dreadnaughts for so long but now I just pick it up and it feels great.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider with the New Oxnard Made M20's is that they have a string nut width of 1-3/4" as opposed to the 1-11/16" nut width you will find on the Junior Jumbo and other Guilds. The 1-3/4" nut width may be too wide for her hand at the age of 11.

TX

Tex makes an excellent point that 1 3/4" may be too big,, and even 1 11/16" actually might not be quite perfect for an 11 y/o.

the short scale 60s/early 70s M-20s (and early F-20s) have a 1 5/8" nut. this is a very easy thin/round neck to play with small hands, and is very proportionate to the small body of the M-20. it is amazing it is a full 24.75 inch scale actually.

I just stopped in Sam Ash to make sure, and played the M-20 for a third time and the M-120 for at least the 3rd time...very nice guitars, especially the M-20- but yes, they both have 1 3/4 nuts and the neck is noticably wider/beefier than the Hoboken M-20. So id maybe look for an old one!

awerking

Reaction score
Great advice, guys. The field is narrowing...

I was checking out pics of the used F-30 posted in the CL/eBay thread and my daughter walked in. She Ooo'd and Ah'd and said "That's an awesome guitar, Dad, you should get it". She doesn't know I'm looking for a Guild for her, and I didn't tell her it might be for her since it's likely too big. Now if I could only get my wife to react the same way when I show her pictures of guitars...