1985 Guild ????

Matt L.

Reaction score
The owner of this Guild says his dad bought it new in 1985. He thinks it's an Aviator, but the horns are offset. Is it a Thunderbolt? Something else? Any help greatly appreciated. Serial number is HC101361.

image_zps1cqdkslt.jpg

image_zpsue4qddq2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Never seen a Thunderbolt, but other models like the Liberator or the Flyer come to mind.

Matt L.

Reaction score
It's puzzling, because it has the shape of a Liberator but I've never seen a plainer one like that, or with that headstock. The Flyers all had the offset lower bout, as far as I know.

I've only seen the Thunderbolt on a catalog page, but it has the same shape.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

Matt L.

Reaction score
We've discussed this body shape before on this forum. I believe the guitar then in question was red. Unfortunately I forget the outcome. Maybe I can search and find the thread. Hang on, I'll be right back!

Ah, found it! http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?150833-Guild-S-280-vs-S-284/page2&highlight=liberator (Start at post #11 for the photo!) This is where Hans teases us with the name. Somewhere in another thread I think we finally figured the name out.

Thanks, so it's some rare oddball model then? Let me know if you find the name please.

Also, is Vol II ever coming out? lol....it has been a long time waiting!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Matt! I found the other thread where the dicussion is continued as another one of these guitars showed up!

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...ith-80-s-Guild-shredder&highlight=thunderbolt

Turns out we never did solve the mystery.

Yes we are all anxiously awaiting "Volume II"!

there were a couple other threads on this. heres one-

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...-Runaway-quot-S-270-on-eBay&highlight=runaway

the guitar may be called the "Runaway." As for the Hans riddle, Runaway has 2 A's and Pointynator has 2 N's, so one could say 5 letters match, but not with 100 percent confidence that we mean the same thing that Hans meant...

DThomasC

Reaction score
My perspective is that Guild did not sell a huge volume of any of the pointy guitars (though they aren't rare as a group.) Knowing the little bit that I do about the company, I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of them are 'experiments' to some degree in that they don't necessarily fit a strict set of specs that goes along with a particular name or model number. An other way to look at it is that the names and model numbers didn't necessarily have a strict set of specs.

Hans might have access to really thorough factory documentation, or maybe even he doesn't know for sure...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans might have access to really thorough factory documentation, or maybe even he doesn't know for sure...

I believe Hans is crystal clear on anything Guild from this era, and do hope Volume II is released in short time, as I know he has spent more time working on it than any of us could ever imagine. The book will be a complete game changer for vintage Guilds, no question.

matsickma

Reaction score
That body shape appears in a number of configurations. It has a Liberator shape but a set neck. The one I have with that body shape has a Detonator "cake cutting" headstock bolt-on neck. I assume it is stock but who knows.

I really like that ivory Liberator. Not sure of the function difference between the three toggle switches verses the 5-way slide switch.

M