NGD "Budget" DeArmond content

markb

Reaction score
Posted earlier this week about a 90's DeArmond Starfire. Well I picked it up today for $325. '98 Starfire Custom w/ Gold Tone (USA).I have to say this is a real nice guitar. Especially for what I paid for it. IMO as good if not better looking, playing and sounding than the new Korean Guilds I've played. Not all that heavy either. Too many pics as usually do..
DSC00749_zpsuwm7s4pn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00753_zps7ggpfmrf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00757_zpsjefpnba2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00760_zpsmxvmgofp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00762_zpsxs9x6lvg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00764_zpsozfksaxu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00756_zpsjuzlvtoq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC00761_zpsdblbozzq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a great looking guitar!

I must say I've been curious about the Dearmonds for a long time. It seems as if every time I'm wowed by a "Guild" in some cool color I've never seen before that it's a Dearmond that's caught my eye.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very pretty and no, never too many pics. I'm not real big into electric gear but I've owned a few Dearmonds in my time and for the most part, they were really nice guitars and priced right. Congrats, you've got a looker there.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a DeArmond M75T in blue sparkle. I put locking tuners, graphite nut and a roller bridge on it. It won't go out of tune.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
Congrats! Great score. Those USA made Goldtone 'buckers are great sounding....far superior to the those notorious Fender made units that were used on some USA Guilds. Very well built guitars. I had a DeArmond Starfire Special and it was a really nice guitar. Sounded and played nicely. The only thing it needed was a bit of nut work...those plastic nuts on the DeArmonds tend to be shaped a bit too square and bulky around the edges. A little filing and it was much better. I knew someone who had one and actually had a good luthier replace the stock nut with a hand shaped bone nut and it was just a killer player.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice SF! That's a great price for a cool guitar. I agree about the gold tone pu's, they sound great. I had a DeArmond X-155, it was a really fun guitar; played well and sounded good. I'd be tempted to get another at the right price.
Enjoy your new SF.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
That's a nice looker. I've strummed a couple of these…seemed well put together for sure. Must take a closer look next time one turns up around here.

Fine amp choice too! (I had my Vibro Champ & AC4 running in stereo last night.) :)

-Dave-

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
You all should just move away from the computers and leave the DeArmonds alone. They're some of the best kept secrets out there, and all I can afford in my aged retirement.

My 'burst Starfire is #8111132, so just a little senior to op's, and I got it a couple years ago right at the same price. They could be twins.

markb

Reaction score
That's a nice looker. I've strummed a couple of these…seemed well put together for sure. Must take a closer look next time one turns up around here.

Fine amp choice too! (I had my Vibro Champ & AC4 running in stereo last night.) :)

-Dave-

Thanks Dave. Bet that stereo combo sounds sweet. Nothing like a little scoop and chime in tandem. To the right of the VC, in the shadows, sits my mid 65 BFDR.

markb

Reaction score
Congrats! Great score. Those USA made Goldtone 'buckers are great sounding....far superior to the those notorious Fender made units that were used on some USA Guilds. Very well built guitars. I had a DeArmond Starfire Special and it was a really nice guitar. Sounded and played nicely. The only thing it needed was a bit of nut work...those plastic nuts on the DeArmonds tend to be shaped a bit too square and bulky around the edges. A little filing and it was much better. I knew someone who had one and actually had a good luthier replace the stock nut with a hand shaped bone nut and it was just a killer player.

Thanks Guildadelphia. I agree. I think the only thing I'll replace on the DeArmond is the bulky plastic nut. Have my luthier cut nice rounded aged bone.

markb

Reaction score
You all should just move away from the computers and leave the DeArmonds alone. They're some of the best kept secrets out there, and all I can afford in my aged retirement.

My 'burst Starfire is #8111132, so just a little senior to op's, and I got it a couple years ago right at the same price. They could be twins.

Very cool cosmic. I hear ya..

markb

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging words folks. It's not a vintage Hoboken SF IV, or Westerly. No Collings or Gibby 335 but it's a more than playable semi that fits my budget. And it sounds killer😀

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
The M75 with gold tones and DR Pure Blues string just chimes/sings. It's the first time She Who Must Be Obeyed sat up and paid attention - "that really makes a difference".

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. Bet that stereo combo sounds sweet. Nothing like a little scoop and chime in tandem. To the right of the VC, in the shadows, sits my mid 65 BFDR.

Yup! I set the VC darker than normal so it doesn't compete with the Vox's high end. Makes for a great blend in dual mono or (via delay & reverb gizmos) stereo. My T-bird in particular sounds fab into this rig.

-Dave-