Been a while - WC Mini Jumbos

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello fellow LTG'ers. Been a while since I have been on here. 2016 was a very rough year. Lost my pop. Happy New Year and planning for 2017 to be better. Though who plans for a bad year right? I have only recently been on to post a couple of items for sale.

I am down to my D-30 as far as acoustics go ( feeling very Westerly Woodish ) and I am going to be looking for my next Westerly Guild when funds are better. Eyeballing a mid 80's D-15 or another vintage D-25. I like the value models. I still wish I wouldn't have sold my D-4..

I digress.. Now on to my question. Has anyone here picked up or played the new Westerly Collection Mini Jumbo. I am looking for a travel guitar that doesn't sound like a toy and I really like the price.

Again, hello to all and I look forward to hearing from someone.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey D30Man, sorry to hear about your rough year and the loss off your dad. Truly sorry, amigo. I almost bought one but cancelled the order because I just didn't think that was exactly what I was looking for, but the price was amazing. Someone will be along with some real information soon. Welcome back.... :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey D30,sorry to hear about your dad passing. Thanks for letting us know and happy to see you back on here. Though I cannot speak re the mini jumbos, I always seem to gas for an od D25 arched back too. 😀

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey D30Man, sorry to hear about your rough year and the loss off your dad. Truly sorry, amigo. I almost bought one but cancelled the order because I just didn't think that was exactly what I was looking for, but the price was amazing. Someone will be along with some real information soon. Welcome back.... :encouragement:

Hey Tom! Thanks for the kind words and the perspective. Yeah that price is pretty enticing. Just not having any luck finding a dealer here in DFW that has one hanging. If I do grab I will let you know how it goes sir! Great hearing from you!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey D30,sorry to hear about your dad passing. Thanks for letting us know and happy to see you back on here. Though I cannot speak re the mini jumbos, I always seem to gas for an od D25 arched back too. ��

Hey thanks WW. Yeah the sweetest sounding Guild I have played was my '78 D25.. Had way too many neck problems and about $1200 to make it right.. The tone though.. So loud and dark. Such a great songwriter's guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey Tom! Thanks for the kind words and the perspective. Yeah that price is pretty enticing. Just not having any luck finding a dealer here in DFW that has one hanging. If I do grab I will let you know how it goes sir! Great hearing from you!

IN our time-honored tradition of helping other people spend their money, go for it!
How bad could it really be, in light of all the other predominantly favorable reviews of the imported line in general?
And you get a warranty!
And a case!
And you get to show it off here!
(And then I'll know if I should get one for my nephew's next guitar).
:friendly_wink:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey thanks WW. Yeah the sweetest sounding Guild I have played was my '78 D25.. Had way too many neck problems and about $1200 to make it right.. The tone though.. So loud and dark. Such a great songwriter's guitar.

That D30 is a great sounding guild dread. I remember remarking on it's tone when you posted a couple johnny cash covers over a year ago. Your D30 is a songwriter guitar.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Has anyone here picked up or played the new Westerly Collection Mini Jumbo.

Well, no, but what's not to like? Looks like a beauty and you can't beat the price. Trigger-pull worthy!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, keep in mind that they are arched-back laminates that we haven't heard much about here (yet). We know how magnificent Guild's history is in the US with arched-back acoustics, but we don't know how well these MIC versions measure up.

D30Man, if you do this, we want to hear about it!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I did buy one from Chicago Music. It was really pretty nice for the money. I never tried the electronics but I assume they were o.k. IMHO it would be an ideal traveling guitar. I ended up giving mine to my kind of ex wife kind of. She's just learning to play and it's a great size for her,a good one to learn on and like everybody says, they won't break the bank. I had the Mahogany version.

The only reason I gave it away is 1.) I just wanted to try it for the most part, 2.) My kind of ex is really very nice (a lot nicer than me) and 3.) I use my old trusty F 20 when I need the small body experience.

For what it's worth, it's hard to go wrong at that price.

Lastly and most important, welcome back and I am truly sorry to hear about your dad. I've lost both my parents now and I miss them still, very much

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I have had some interest in playing a Mini Jumbo.
There are none locally to try out.
Looking on Youtube there are some comparisons between the Mini Jumbo and the Taylor GS Mini.

Most of these comparisons favor the GS Mini in overall tone but state that both guitars have a very similar sound.
I have played several GS Mini Taylor guitars and didn't find their tone very impressive.
They sound like a little guitar with no bottom end.

That is enough info for me to quit thinking about a Mini Jumbo.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And a very SHORT scale (I forget the number) but a 1 3/4" width at the nut which is really nice if you like a wider width. Should be very easy to play.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome back, D30, and I'm very sorry about your dad. I too am curious about the jumbo junior, but haven't found one to try.

jcwu

Reaction score
My kind of ex is really very nice (a lot nicer than me)

You keep giving her guitars and she might not be an ex much longer!

All kidding aside, how was the sound? Did it hold up for being a smaller guitar? Or did it sound boxy?

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Richard and folks - thanks the responses. I am always at what great little community this is here on LTG. I tried the D240 and 240 mini jumbo at Sam Ash yesterday and it will make a solid traveler for sure. Crisp and fairly loud. IMHO it played like $400 guitar which is the asking price.

I ended up falling in love with a used Eastman E6D and took it home.. my goodness it sings and the ebony fingerboard ( first one I have ever owned) was buttah.

I had every intention for my next dread to be a another Guild westerly era D25 or D15 to be a companion to my D-30 ( my fav of all time ) but my god this thing is impressive. Here is a link.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoustic-dreadnought-e6d/

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'll tell ya. Eastman, Blueridge and Epiphone Masterbilt are great instruments for the money. The made in Asia thing used to bother me until I concluded that at that price point I wasn't looking for an investment or down the road appreciation potential. Just a great sounding guitar at a fair price. I have yet to be disappointed by any of the brands I mentioned above.

griehund

Reaction score
I played one yesterday and today at FIXIT's shop. Very much fun to play, the arched back is awesome. Played up to and around 12th fret, it was a little bit tight but workable. Surprisingly loud and bright. Definitely a great traveler. While I did not plug it in, Tom had good things to say about the electronics. Didn't love the matte finish but that's just me. Played one of those little Taylors a while back and the Mini Jumbo sounded better. If you want a really good opinion, PM FIXIT.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll tell ya. Eastman, Blueridge and Epiphone Masterbilt are great instruments for the money. The made in Asia thing used to bother me until I concluded that at that price point I wasn't looking for an investment or down the road appreciation potential. Just a great sounding guitar at a fair price. I have yet to be disappointed by any of the brands I mentioned above.

Yeah Richard I was blown away all in all.. I knew Eastman was a solid value brand but had never picked up one quite like this. Yeah I had kind of sworn off MIC's as well when I sold my GAD25. I really liked the GAD and would've kept it had I had not continually had a problem with string spacing.. But this, honestly, and I know I will raise an eyebrow for saying this, sounds nicer than any GAD I have played / owned and in my opinion GAD's are pretty damn nice.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total

Yeah Richard I was blown away all in all.. I knew Eastman was a solid value brand but had never picked up one quite like this. Yeah I had kind of sworn off MIC's as well when I sold my GAD25. I really liked the GAD and would've kept it had I had not continually had a problem with string spacing.. But this, honestly, and I know I will raise an eyebrow for saying this, sounds nicer than any GAD I have played / owned and in my opinion GAD's are pretty damn nice.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I played one yesterday and today at FIXIT's shop. Very much fun to play, the arched back is awesome. Played up to and around 12th fret, it was a little bit tight but workable. Surprisingly loud and bright. Definitely a great traveler. While I did not plug it in, Tom had good things to say about the electronics. Didn't love the matte finish but that's just me. Played one of those little Taylors a while back and the Mini Jumbo sounded better. If you want a really good opinion, PM FIXIT.

Griehund - I enjoyed them as well. Different styling than the WC's and that is okay. Yeah they were kind of Taylor-esque in their brightness. I too like them better than the GS Mini.. Yeah Oxnard designed these and I like to think Ren had a hand in it. Not sure though. There is a D240e for $250 on Reverb that has some funky discoloring on the top, but hell for $250... Here is a link.

https://reverb.com/item/3947793-gui...ith-original-soft-case-lowest-price-on-reverb