What is your Favorite Pick?

AoxoA

Reaction score
What is you favorite pick (for which guitar and style of playing)? I have an acoustic dreadnought and don't have a style yet (just learning cords, picking and strumming).

I just got 2 variety packs from Dunlop. It is a lot of different picks. So far I really like the feel of the lighter Gators.

The Light/Medium variety that has
  • .60 and .73 Nylon Standard
  • .60 and .73 Nylon Max Grip
  • .60 and .73 Tortex
  • .60 and .73 Ultex
  • .58 and .71 Gator Grip
  • Thin and Medium Celluloid.

The Medium/Heavy variety pack has
  • .88 and 1.0 Tortex
  • .90 and 1.14 Ultex Sharp
  • Heavy Celluloid
  • Red Nylon Jazz III
  • .88, 1.0 Nylon Standard
  • .88 and 1.14 Max Grip
  • .96 and 1.14 Gator Grip

Dunlop also has Primetone sculpted Plectra that looks interesting.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played with the same 1mm Purple pick for 20 years after someone convinced me that I could play faster with a thicker pick. Sadly it wasn't until I owned a house that I lost it. Thing looked like a jazz pick by then, it was so worn down. And yes, I'm the guy that never lost that one pick.

When I got into acoustics I hated the tone of the thicker pick and tried 'em all and discovered that my favorite is the red Dunlop .50mm. I love the bright attack and the softness and everything about it. I can choke up on it to make it stiff and loosen the grip to make it floppier. Mostly, though, i just love the bright attack of a thinner pick.

What's weird is that now I buy them in 72-packs since I lose them constantly.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Funny, you already got a sample of my fave:
|
NylonStandard-5.5.png

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I like Herco nylon picks, both the oldies (recently found some in a drawer) and the newer Dunlop-made ones. The thinner gold ones for strumming and the thicker silver ones for everything else. But I play mostly with my fingers these days…

-Dave-

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with GAD for acoustic guitar:

110040000426160-00-290x290.jpg

For electric guitar & bass I go thicker:

61Po9qd9VmL._AC_UL320_SR270,320_.jpg

I got started using the yellows because one of the guitarists
in my band uses them and I bummed a pick from him. Still do!

I play them until all three points have the same radius!

Last edited:

merlin6666

Reaction score
A variety pack is a great idea I should get one too. I started playing in mid 70s and early on bought all types of picks the little store in my small home town had, and when I got into bigger cities bought picks too. I finally settled on black Gibson "Eboneen" picks medium thickness which worked great for electric as well as acoustic 6 and 12 string. Bought a bunch and am now down to the last one. Unfortunately that material was not available any longer and Gibson switched to a new formula around 2000. So now am looking for alternative ... have a pack of white Fender on order (lol) they are supposed to be similar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that material was not available any longer and Gibson switched to a new formula around 2000. So now am looking for alternative ... have a pack of white Fender on order (lol) they are supposed to be similar.

Funny you should mention that..what I loved about the Dunlop Nylons (after the grip) was they never shattered, just wore down. But a few years back they changed the nylon they used. Not as "rubbery" as the old stuff, and flexes more too.
Haven't bothered to try anything else since these days it seems like ya can't buy less than a 10-pack in a retail store.
Not that I don't get why, but I don't lose or give away many picks......still have like 5 left from the pack I bought about 3 years ago, LOL!

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Almost any medium flat pick is fine with me. Usually my favorite is the one I can actually FIND close by. Not that I'm disorganized but they tend to disappear around here and I'm the only one who uses one. I usually have one in my front left pocket, just in case, along with Listerine breath strips. You know, emergency supplies. I got a couple of bags of black and white checkerboard ones from GC a while back. They're great and easy to find and I wish I'd got more. Last string order Strings and Beyond sent me this flat pick that has some kind of texture on one side and smooth on the other. It's my favorite but where it is right now, I have no idea. It's here somewhere, I'm sure......

Sal

Reaction score
Wedgie 3.1mm Rubber Pick - great for picking on my nylon guilds; they sound more like a thumb than a pick. Uke players like them too.

Wedgie_zpsdybr7fhz.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the .73 and .88 Dunlop Max-Grip. I have really dry hands, and need something grippier (if that's a word). I'll admit that I don't play with a pick much, though.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Personally, I usually pick Jack Daniels and Brunettes

I agree with the Brunettes but I am going to have to swap out the Jack Daniels for some Wild Turkey Rare Breed. :joyous:

As far as Guitar picks go if I am not using my fingers which I am more and more these days I prefer "Snarling Dogs Brain Picks" which are Nylon with a wicked little grip pattern on them that never lets them slip out of my grip. I could play a gig outdoors in 100 degree weather with 95% Humidity and not lose grip on those little suckers. They come in a twelve pack little tin and have different colors for the different thicknesses. For Acoustics I normally run .60mm (Purple) or .73mm (red) depending on whether I am running light or medium strings. The .60mm works great for twelve string rhythm as well. For my electrics I normally run the .88mm (Black) as I like a heavier pick on electrics for some reason. Here is the link to Musicians Friends listing for them. Sometimes you can find them cheaper but with the grip they have I don't hardly ever lose picks now so they last a long time.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/snarling-dogs-brain-guitar-picks-and-tin-box

Just a side note, After receiving a Pick a Palooza Pick maker for Christmas I am enjoying playing with a pick I cut out of an old Amex Gold Credit. It really sounds pretty good for flatpicking but a little stiff for strumming.

TX

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunlop 2.0 mm. Color is black. I really like the thickness against the string.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunlop Gator flat picks. I haven't decided how thick. I got a selection 1.0, 1.14 , and 1.5mm I think. As a lefty, I used to get thin picks, because they would curve around my thumb and I thought that would give me more grip. But, it was pointed out that you end up with more pick slap sound over the string sound with thin picks. So, I'm going with thicker picks that offer grippyness.

Of course, I also like the Herco thumb picks, when finger picking is called for. I'm starting to mess about with trimming and filling those down a bit so they stick out less from my thumb, so I don't have to re-train my brain when I go from no pick to thumb pick.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Personally, I usually pick Jack Daniels and Brunettes

Do you use a classical style or Travis or something else? The friend who was trying to learn that one got kind of confused when someone told him if he could not handle the G flat minor, he should try F sharp minor.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just a side note, After receiving a Pick a Palooza Pick maker for Christmas I am enjoying playing with a pick I cut out of an old Amex Gold Credit. It really sounds pretty good for flatpicking but a little stiff for strumming.

TX

Veer - last time I recall a discussion about punching picks out of stuff lying around, the picks were not especially good. The comments talked about how the edges were sometimes ragged and never beveled. It's been a few years. Are punched picks comparable to commercial picks or are they still somewhat of a novelty item?