What is your Favorite Pick?

Alan_M

Reaction score
I've experimented extensively and always end up back with a Clayton .80mm acetal rounded triangle, although for acoustics and some electric applications I use a Fender 351 mediums. Interesting how such variety is needed to accommodate the endless tastes of the consumer, no? And what do I do now with the 500 picks I didn't like that are laying around the house? Is there a charity donation site for guitarists?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Adamas_Pick.jpg

anyone got some left for sale?

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Veer - last time I recall a discussion about punching picks out of stuff lying around, the picks were not especially good. The comments talked about how the edges were sometimes ragged and never beveled. It's been a few years. Are punched picks comparable to commercial picks or are they still somewhat of a novelty item?

Actually Frono I was really surprised at the quality of pick that comes out of that Pick-A-Palooza Pick Punch. The Edges aren't Beveled on the tip but they are a really clean cut, even on thicker Credit Card material. The Pick Punch comes with several different pieces of material from Gloss to Flat finish and different thicknesses as well to start making picks out of. It also comes with an Emory Board in the shape of a Guitar to sand down the edges if you choose to or bevel the end of your punched picks. I haven't had any jagged edges on any of the ones I have punched and they all seem to work great.

TX

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
i like the dunlop ultex large triangles (i think its the only size they have HA!) 1.0 i must. theres a buttload of them all over here.
i usually use the Charmed Life tortis tris. just a little bigger than 1.0 & the Gravity tris around 1.0
thumbpicks, ive got a couple Micks Goat Whiskey Picks im using a lot too

X-170AB

Reaction score
Personally, I usually pick Jack Daniels and Brunettes

The friend who was trying to learn that one got kind of confused when someone told him if he could not handle the G flat minor, he should try F sharp minor.

Whether its G flat or F sharp, a minor Brunette could mean trouble!

For acoustic play, I like Blue Chips a lot. Also have a few Red Bears that sound great, and there's a local maker Hense who makes very good-sounding 'mock tortoise' picks, too. My stand-bys are Dunlop Jazztone 207s.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah Dave, Bulleit Rye is the insane good!

So my pick of choice is the Brain Pick 1.14mm for acoustic. These picks cling to your fingers instead of having to pinch them so hard. I like the thickness because I'm usually leading 3-4 guitar players in a sing-along setting, thinner picks flex too much when I have to push them.

I did a scientific analysis with all the different picks I own; this involved a couple of ice cold beers, my two Guild acoustics, and my astute hearing abilities.

I tried the following types: Ivory, Brass, Wood, Tortex, Bone, Steel, Nylon, Quartz, and Silver, probably some other plastics, all picks I've collected over the years.

The best sound in my opinion: Nylon. Dunlops, Brains, etc.

I also love my Mojo silver pick, made from a US solid silver Quarter from my birth year, 1954. (Boy I wish I'd bought more of these when they were like $8.) This is my favorite pick on my electric guitar, but it is also really nice on the acoustics. I swear the physical properties of the silver change after it's been warmed between your thumb and finger for awhile and this also affects the tone. I love the way it reacts with the wound strings.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I did a scientific analysis with all the different picks I own; this involved a couple of ice cold beers, my two Guild acoustics, and my astute hearing abilities.

LOL. I have a great admiration for the rigorous application of the scientific method! :applause:

sailingshoes

Last edited: