Thunder Star Amp

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hey folks. I found a guy locally with a Thunder Star amp he's selling. He's got it listed at $300 and is likely open to offers so first off, is that a decent price?? (assuming no tube/speaker/controls etc. issues).

I've never owned anything Guild like this. If I remember right though it does have tremolo and reverb operated by a foot switch, 1 12" speaker and is two channel, right?

I don't know much more about it at the moment. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth going after. Any help/comments appreciated.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
tstaramp01.jpg

From here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?147070-Reference-Post-Guild-Amplifiers

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
im a big fan of mine!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?179055-NAD-Thunderstar-1-x-12

but im not sure how popular they are other than that. and plus you dont play electrics too often? so unless it is super clean and super complete, i wouldnt jump too fast. it might be tough to re-sell. $300 is definitely a great price, but they are big and its still significant money to most people. with that said they are wonderful amplifiers.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love mine too, and that's a great price, depending on how much work it needs. Ask if it's been serviced lately.

gilded

Reaction score
I had one, loved it. Somebody had taken the vibrato chip out and we put back the wrong one so it sounded like vibrato at the speed of sound. I wish that I had a chance to know what the vibrato was supposed to sound like.

I don't think I'd pay more than $200. You'll put another $200 in it getting it into shape, sooner or later unless you're a repairman. They're worth about $500 tops and outside of this fine group of learned musicians, there's not much demand.

matsickma

Reaction score
I perfer the Guild guitar amps that use the 7591 power tubes. The amps using these tubes are the first two Thunderbird models, the Thunderstar and the Maverick. Great sounding amps!

Reaction score
I'd say go for it. I paid $300 for mine, and I definitely think it was a good deal. It's a stellar sounding amp. Be warned though, if you plan on gigging with it, it's about 3x the size of most other 1x12 combos. I bought mine on Craigslist, and the ad pictures didn't give any reference to scale, so when I met the guy to pick it up I did a double take because I was expecting something the size of a fender deluxe.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Heavy too! Mine is the size of a Super Reverb. No wonder people put casters on them!