Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Star Amp

Thunder Star Amp

Hey folks. I found a guy locally with a Thunder Star amp he's selling. He's got it listed at $300 and is likely open to offers so first off, is that a decent price?? (assuming no tube/speaker/controls etc. issues).

I've never owned anything Guild like this. If I remember right though it does have tremolo and reverb operated by a foot switch, 1 12" speaker and is two channel, right?

I don't know much more about it at the moment. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth going after. Any help/comments appreciated.
    -A whole lotta Guilds, mostly acoustic but a few nice electric pieces as well

-Not nearly so many Martins, Gibsons and Taylors

-2 Chinese Blueridges and 1 Epi Masterbilt

"I Hope To Die Young At A Very Old Age"

I've found that the secret to having a very happy life is to have very low expectations

Steve!!! Got room for one more amp?
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Geez!!!! I didn't know Guild made so many different models.
    -A whole lotta Guilds, mostly acoustic but a few nice electric pieces as well

-Not nearly so many Martins, Gibsons and Taylors

-2 Chinese Blueridges and 1 Epi Masterbilt

"I Hope To Die Young At A Very Old Age"

I've found that the secret to having a very happy life is to have very low expectations

im a big fan of mine!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...derstar-1-x-12

but im not sure how popular they are other than that. and plus you dont play electrics too often? so unless it is super clean and super complete, i wouldnt jump too fast. it might be tough to re-sell. $300 is definitely a great price, but they are big and its still significant money to most people. with that said they are wonderful amplifiers.

I love mine too, and that's a great price, depending on how much work it needs. Ask if it's been serviced lately.
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by richardp69 View Post
    Geez!!!! I didn't know Guild made so many different models.
    Given the comments about how the forum appears different on different browsers I wasn't sure if you could see the sticky, so figured it couldn't hurt...
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    Steve!!! Got room for one more amp?
    I need a better photo host! I have not been the picture of financial restraint lately.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

I had one, loved it. Somebody had taken the vibrato chip out and we put back the wrong one so it sounded like vibrato at the speed of sound. I wish that I had a chance to know what the vibrato was supposed to sound like.

I don't think I'd pay more than $200. You'll put another $200 in it getting it into shape, sooner or later unless you're a repairman. They're worth about $500 tops and outside of this fine group of learned musicians, there's not much demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk, '00 Bluesbird black,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp, '70 Superstar Combo

I perfer the Guild guitar amps that use the 7591 power tubes. The amps using these tubes are the first two Thunderbird models, the Thunderstar and the Maverick. Great sounding amps!