Guild GF60 tuners

dyldog1

Reaction score
Don't you just love those Gruhn Guilds. I agree with chazmo & personally prefer gold hardware against the black background too. But that F44 looks gorgeous. I think it's one of the few maple bodied guitars that I yearn for, not being a huge maple enthusiast. But I heard an F44 being played many years ago & I was converted. But they're as rare as hen's teeth, eh? If someone hears of an F44 being sold then please point them in my direction. In the meantime I await news on my new replacement GF60 tuners, gold of course.

tommym

Reaction score
.... If someone hears of an F44 being sold then please point them in my direction....

I'll do you one better than a F44.....how about a GF60 Maple to go with your GF60.

Not sure this link will work, but it's on eBay in any case:

http://r.ebay.com/h4SPjp

It's not cheap but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and grab em when the show up for sale. The seller is also accepting offers.

Tommy

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't believe I am just now seeing this thread. With my screen name, I should at least be involved! Hans may or may not remember this, but about 10 or 12 years ago the 2 of us swapped tuners. I sent him the original tuners from my GF60 and he sent me some gold Grover rotomatics. They worked fine but as has been pointed out...that left a screw hole visible in the back of the head stock. I personally am not fond of gold tuners, so a couple of years ago I replaced them with Chrome Grover Sta-tites. They were pretty much a drop in and I am quite happy with them. Dyldog1, if you are not concerned with originality, the gold Sta-tites would look nice.

Here are some pictures of my Maple GF60

photo2_zpsf0bbd80f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo1_zps1ef4bc69.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This was taken before I put on the Sta-tites.
GF-60M.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1020106.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1020101.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The 2 scratches on the top are courtesy of one of my beagles.

Last edited:

dyldog1

Reaction score
That's super advice, Margaret. Thanks a lot. In fact your input has reminded me that I have a spare set of Waverly vintage open geared tuners somewhere & I know they fit exactly the same as the Grover Sta Tites. I'm not overly bothered about originality so they could be the answer & with no financial outlay. Time to rummage through the guitar clutter & dig out the Waverly's. You have a great GF60 and you must be impressed with it to use it as your member name, eh? I'd love to own something similar and even though I know one is listed on US eBay, it's way too rich for me. And anyway I need to offload a few of my others before justifying another GF60. Thanks again.

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
Post some pictures when you are done with the swap. I'd like to see it. Also some pics of the rest of your GF60 would be nice. You just don't see many of these models. The one on Ebay is nice, but looking at those tuners reminds me why I don't care for gold plated tuners!!

tommym

Reaction score
Wow.....those chrome sta-tites look right at home on that guitar! Question....didn't the original tuners have a threaded hex bushing that screwed into the base of the tuner? Are the new ones in your photos pressed-in ferrules? I am wondering about the fit between the two and how that worked out?

Tommy

Last edited:

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow.....those chrome sta-tites look right at home on that guitar! Question....didn't the original tuners have a threaded hex bushing that screwed into the base of the tuner? Are the new ones in your photos pressed-in ferrules? I am wondering about the fit between the two and how that worked out?

Tommy

I honestly don't remember much about the original tuners. I do know that the Sta-tites came with press in bushings. I also ordered another size bushing from Stewmac. I unfortunately don't remember which ones I had to use, but I had no problem installing them.

tommym

Reaction score
Yes, Stewmac offers oversize ferrules (bushings) for conversions, so that would make sense.

Tommy