Unplugged sound in an electric guitar

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Part 1

Don is correct. The soundpost makes the late-Westerly X-170 a bit lifeless acoustically, but plug it in, and it is a different story.

Huh.... correct me if I'm wrong but, it is an electric guitar isn't it? (As opposed to an electro-acoustic where the actual "acoustic" properties matter...)
Don't mean to smart @$$ the remark here (or do I?..... :devilish:) but I've always been tickled and even puzzled by folks commenting on the acoustical merits of an electric guitar. :confused:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To follow up on bluesy's point in another thread, I've read articles where some people claim that the acoustic sound of an electric guitar can give you an "idea" of how it will sound when plugged in, i.e., the brighter the acoustic tone, the more "airy" the electric sound will be. I've even seen this discussed in regard to solid guitars like Les Pauls. Whether it's true or not is up to the listener, I guess.

Rather than repeat a previous post, here's a link to a thread I started on this very topic:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...quot-open-up-quot&highlight=Bluesbird+opening

My Bluesbird is not my D64 (of course!), but the chambers give it enough volume and clarity to sound nice, although very quiet. But that's actually what I want,, since I play it at night, etc. unplugged and I don't bother anyone.

I've also had semi-hollow guitars that have sounded nice unplugged, and of course hollow bodies - a '65 X-50 I had sounded great unplugged!

walrus

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bluesy, I started a separate thread on this, rather than clutter up a FS/FT thread. I think it's an interesting topic!

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Huh.... correct me if I'm wrong but, it is an electric guitar isn't it? (As opposed to an electro-acoustic where the actual "acoustic" properties matter...)
Don't mean to smart @$$ the remark here (or do I?..... :devilish:) but I've always been tickled and even puzzled by folks commenting on the acoustical merits of an electric guitar. :confused:

I really hate to break my own rule about cluttering up a FS thread but...

I used to think that way - who cares what the wood is because the pickup only gets the string vibrations? I have become convinced otherwise. The wood in an electric definitely effects sustain which effects tone because the overtones decay differently and it turns out that some pickups actually pickup vibration from things besides the strings.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Geez, frono, I was trying to help you out!! :rolleyes-new:

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To follow up on bluesy's point in another thread, I've read articles where some people claim that the acoustic sound of an electric guitar can give you an "idea" of how it will sound when plugged in
walrus

No doubt.
The acoustical properties of a "Jazz box" such as the X170 (since that's where it all started) will have an impact on the final result. Key word being "Final result"... as in "the reason the instrument was engineered", and likely purchased.

Or to put it another way, what I meant to say is how the guitar sounds unplugged (although impacting) is not relevant in itself, since the instrument was conceived to be played plugged in (again, as opposed to an electro acoustic, such as an Ovation, that has been conceived to be played either way).

With all that said, if one gets his boat floating by playing his X-something unplugged, more power to him! ;)

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Every guitar (including electric guitars) is the sum of all parts and design, and every one of them involves inherent compromises.

Having been strictly an acoustic player for years, I have recently been exploring a variety of electric guitars, from full-sized hollow jazz boxes, to thin-lines, sound posts, center blocks, chambered and solid. All have their merits, depending on what tone you are trying to get out of it, how loud you are going to play it, whether solo or in a band with drums and bass, and how much feedback resistance you need.

My experience has been that, plugged in, a fully hollow archtop sounds significantly different than one with a sound post. Not better or worse, just different. And some of that difference can be best appreciated when the guitars are unplugged.

My comment was in no way intended to denigrate late Westerly X-170's with sound posts (I'd still happily own mine if the neck had been a bit beefier). And there are lots of times when I find myself fighting the feedback on a fully hollow archtop that the sound post is designed to solve.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If I'm playing, the audience may need the cotton balls!

wlrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I bought the Santa Cruz, I a/b'd it vs a Fender Tele unplugged. The Cruz won hands down. It like was not even close...

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
When I bought the Santa Cruz, I a/b'd it vs a Fender Tele unplugged. The Cruz won hands down. It like was not even close...

But did they have comparable strings?.... (to be sure you're not comparing apples to oranges)

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Speaking of strings, I tried out acoustic strings (PB lights) on the ~53 X-150 I recently acquired. It sounded pretty good as an acoustic instrument, despite the pickup mounted on the laminated spruce top.

It sounded horrible when I plugged it in, however. Turns out that you can't have it both ways.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Speaking of strings, I tried out acoustic strings (PB lights) on the ~53 X-150 I recently acquired. It sounded pretty good as an acoustic instrument, despite the pickup mounted on the laminated spruce top.

It sounded horrible when I plugged it in, however. Turns out that you can't have it both ways.

Interesting. I wonder how Nickel acoustic strings would fare on electric plugged in.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: the timbre of an electric guitar plugged in vs. acoustic, if the wood didn't matter, then they wouldn't be made out of different tone woods. Still, I doubt the sound of an electric guitar unplugged can be discerned all that much from the plugged in sound. To say that "it doesn't matter", though seems as dangerously ignorant as saying, "it does matter" when both positions are likely devoid of any absolute proof as is the case of most arguments that go on forever.

Also, the physics of the electric guitar circuit are amazingly complicated even though the circuits themselves are relatively simple. Each pickup is a coil which makes the guitar into an LCR circuit. Check out this Wikipedia link for the math on just the LCR aspect of a guitar (pickup/cap/pot). How do you fit "woodiness" or "chime" into those forumlas? :cool:

I will absolutely play an electric guitar unplugged before I even consider plugging it in, though. Why? Because I'm looking for a couple of things. They are: Sustain, resonance, and feel, all of which can be masked, altered, or massively overwhelmed by an amp. We tend to focus on the sound and feel of the amp when plugged in, and to Pascal's point, since that's all the audience hears and feels, maybe that's all that should matter, but as the player I get more out of playing when I have a good interaction with the instrument and for me that is best experienced when unplugged.

Example: I have a Fender American Deluxe Strat that I bought new back in 2008. I am not a Strat guy. I tried it in the store because it looked pretty and I figured I should have a Strat. One strum unplugged and I knew I had to have it. The feel, resonance, and sustain were all remarkable. I plugged it in and it sounded like... a Strat. I took it home, gutted the terrible noiseless pickups and S1 electronics and replaced it all with vintage-spec boutique parts and now it sounds MORE like a Strat! :cool:

Pics because I'm the pic guy:

Before:

_B0Z3113_800.jpg

Original vs. my electronics:

_B0Z3688_800.jpg

After:

_B0Z3752-CropAlt_800.jpg

Do I sound more like Mark Knopfler because of the unplugged characteristics of this guitar? Hardly, but I like playing it more because of the responsiveness and feel of the guitar and I can concentrate on those things better when I play it unplugged.