Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unplugged sound in an electric guitar

Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Don is correct. The soundpost makes the late-Westerly X-170 a bit lifeless acoustically, but plug it in, and it is a different story.
    Huh.... correct me if I'm wrong but, it is an electric guitar isn't it? (As opposed to an electro-acoustic where the actual "acoustic" properties matter...)
    Don't mean to smart @$$ the remark here (or do I?..... ) but I've always been tickled and even puzzled by folks commenting on the acoustical merits of an electric guitar.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Unplugged sound in an electric guitar

To follow up on bluesy's point in another thread, I've read articles where some people claim that the acoustic sound of an electric guitar can give you an "idea" of how it will sound when plugged in, i.e., the brighter the acoustic tone, the more "airy" the electric sound will be. I've even seen this discussed in regard to solid guitars like Les Pauls. Whether it's true or not is up to the listener, I guess.

Rather than repeat a previous post, here's a link to a thread I started on this very topic:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...esbird+opening

My Bluesbird is not my D64 (of course!), but the chambers give it enough volume and clarity to sound nice, although very quiet. But that's actually what I want,, since I play it at night, etc. unplugged and I don't bother anyone.

I've also had semi-hollow guitars that have sounded nice unplugged, and of course hollow bodies - a '65 X-50 I had sounded great unplugged!

walrus
    Last edited by walrus; 01-11-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    1984 Guild D64
    1998 Guild Bluesbird Cherry Sunburst AAA

Bluesy, I started a separate thread on this, rather than clutter up a FS/FT thread. I think it's an interesting topic!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    Huh.... correct me if I'm wrong but, it is an electric guitar isn't it? (As opposed to an electro-acoustic where the actual "acoustic" properties matter...)
    Don't mean to smart @$$ the remark here (or do I?..... ) but I've always been tickled and even puzzled by folks commenting on the acoustical merits of an electric guitar.
    I really hate to break my own rule about cluttering up a FS thread but...

I used to think that way - who cares what the wood is because the pickup only gets the string vibrations? I have become convinced otherwise. The wood in an electric definitely effects sustain which effects tone because the overtones decay differently and it turns out that some pickups actually pickup vibration from things besides the strings.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Geez, frono, I was trying to help you out!!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Geez, frono, I was trying to help you out!!

walrus
    Whoops. If I had only seen your post before mine.
    What he said.

'71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '87 Pilot (Black)

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Part 2

Bluesy, I started a separate thread on this, rather than clutter up a FS/FT thread. I think it's an interesting topic!

walrus
    Thanks!
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Blog Entries
    As noted above, I moved these posts to unclutter a FS/FT listing.
    What he said.

'71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '87 Pilot (Black)

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

To follow up on bluesy's point in another thread, I've read articles where some people claim that the acoustic sound of an electric guitar can give you an "idea" of how it will sound when plugged in
    walrus
    No doubt.
    The acoustical properties of a "Jazz box" such as the X170 (since that's where it all started) will have an impact on the final result. Key word being "Final result"... as in "the reason the instrument was engineered", and likely purchased.

Or to put it another way, what I meant to say is how the guitar sounds unplugged (although impacting) is not relevant in itself, since the instrument was conceived to be played plugged in (again, as opposed to an electro acoustic, such as an Ovation, that has been conceived to be played either way).

With all that said, if one gets his boat floating by playing his X-something unplugged, more power to him! ;)
    Last edited by bluesypicky; 01-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

As noted above, I moved these posts to unclutter a FS/FT listing.
    Thanks and sorry for the mishap... in the heat of the moment I forgot I was on a "F/S" thread....
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974