NGD ~'53-`54 "X-150" Redburst

Neal

Reaction score
NGD ~'53-'54 "X-150" Redburst

My X-200 was lonely...

Very early "X-150" (no label, so no telling how early, or even if it is an X-150, for that matter!). Headstock suggests '53 or early '54.

This one is a player. Needs some fretwork, but it is all original, best I can tell, except for a replacement pickguard (the original is included but some genius encrusted it with rhinestones), and the TRC (the original is a Silvertone turned around backward, also found in the case). There have been a few binding repairs, and I had to glue down some of the binding that was loose and flapping.

I forgot to take a photo of the case, but it is original, truly road-worn, inexplicably spray-painted gold, and very sturdy.

Interesting to note that, even with identical strings, the X-150 and X-200 have different tonal personalities. The X-150 is brighter and more assertive, while the X-200 is mellower, bassier and more subtle.

Here's the X-150 with strings off for a good cleaning.

679_zpsnxk3elsv.jpg

680_zpspfljbvtw.jpg

Now, the X-200 gets some love. Found a period-correct Waverly tailpiece to replace the incorrect harp. It is identical to the one on the X-150.

674_zps2nlw6vhp.jpg

Here they are, ready to play.

682_zpspll8emzx.jpg

Headstocks: Notice the "crude" one-piece first-generation inlay on the X-150, and the more refined six-piece with G-shield on the X-200.

693_zpsutjcb2pf.jpg

Backs.

696_zpsnuow85vi.jpg

And here with my '64 T-50.

747_zpsf0vogjhw.jpg

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
Haven't we seen this 150 before? The mention if bedazzled pickguard seems familiar to me. Also, is there some sort of extra line turned into those clear knobs? Really cool guitar!

planetguy

Reaction score
absolutely beeeyootiful gtrs there, Neal.

Interesting to note that, even with identical strings, the X-150 and X-200 have different tonal personalities. The X-150 is brighter and more assertive, while the X-200 is mellower, bassier and more subtle.

i like that description re. the tone as "bright" and "assertive" as it also describes my 53/54 X-150 to a "T" as well. At first i thought it was the tunomatic bridge but after replacing that w a rosewood brdg....well, it still has tons of bark and bite but that much "woof".

i have a few sets of flats laying around that i keep threatening to dress her up in but i feel that i might miss some of the P90 magic w flats on her. Then too...i dig playing it acoustically in the living room too, and i know that be a BIG change up acoustically.

Thanks for the posting the eye candy!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Uber nice! I'll get a first year Guild in my stable some year.

Neal

Reaction score
Haven't we seen this 150 before? The mention if bedazzled pickguard seems familiar to me. Also, is there some sort of extra line turned into those clear knobs? Really cool guitar!

Owned previously by several other LTG members!

It is one of four known to have the earliest headstock, the red burst and no label (and no shadow to suggest that there ever was one). One of the other three also had a reversed Silvertone TRC.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice Neal!

Forum member/collector Mike Brindell used to have that guitar......I made him that replacement pickguard several years ago.....maybe the truss rod cover too but that might have been for something else he had.

Glad you found the Waverly trapeze for the X-200.........somehow they look more appropriate on the old dinosaurs.....

I really like the sound of the old NY era Franz pickups on my '53 X-100 and X-150.....(But then I like just about all Franz pickups!)
I can get more out of those neck pickups than most.....very versatile......love that brighter edge they can have when you need it and they roll off just fine.
But that said, my 100 and 150 do have a slightly different tonal palette......makes it worth while to keep them both around.

Sometimes I get the wild idea of sneaking an older Franz pickup under the plastic cover of the P-90 on my '52 ES-150.

Neal

Reaction score
absolutely beeeyootiful gtrs there, Neal.

i like that description re. the tone as "bright" and "assertive" as it also describes my 53/54 X-150 to a "T" as well. At first i thought it was the tunomatic bridge but after replacing that w a rosewood brdg....well, it still has tons of bark and bite but that much "woof".

i have a few sets of flats laying around that i keep threatening to dress her up in but i feel that i might miss some of the P90 magic w flats on her. Then too...i dig playing it acoustically in the living room too, and i know that be a BIG change up acoustically.

Thanks for the posting the eye candy!

What color is the sunburst on your '54 X-150, planetguy?

And does it have a label/serial #?

Neal

Reaction score
Very nice Neal!

Forum member/collector Mike Brindell used to have that guitar......I made him that replacement pickguard several years ago.....maybe the truss rod cover too but that might have been for something else he had.

Glad you found the Waverly trapeze for the X-200.........somehow they look more appropriate on the old dinosaurs.....

I really like the sound of the old NY era Franz pickups on my '53 X-100 and X-150.....(But then I like just about all Franz pickups!)
I can get more out of those neck pickups than most.....very versatile......love that brighter edge they can have when you need it and they roll off just fine.
But that said, my 100 and 150 do have a slightly different tonal palette......makes it worth while to keep them both around.

Sometimes I get the wild idea of sneaking an older Franz pickup under the plastic cover of the P-90 on my '52 ES-150.

zizala, yes, you also made a TRC to replace the Silvertone that was on there. I do not have a TRC on the X-200, so I may put the white backside of the Silvertone TRC on it to see how it looks!

I presume your red burst X-150 has no label?

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
No label on the X-150.....
The non-cutaway X-100 which has almost exactly the build style and finish as the X-150 has a label and is #1235.
Thats why I've thought it made sense to push the "X-150" back into 1953 and let it be a mystery.

Brown-Recluse

Reaction score
In addition to the OP's X-200S, I also owned this less than totally original '54 for years:

IMG_1066_zps02b5ebd3.jpg

IMG_1067_zps7ee4fef9.jpg

IMG_1068_zpsac861858.jpg

IMG_1069_zps22f5aa42.jpg

It moved to France a few years ago.

Last edited:

Brown-Recluse

Reaction score
Correction to my prior post, the guitar moved to Belgium in January of 2014. The serial number was 1525.

Neal

Reaction score
Looks great, and certainly well-played. It was labeled right before my '54 X-50, serial #1526.

So, does this confirm that there were labeled X-150's as early as January 1954?

Wonder how the Epiphone tailpiece ended up on it?

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Very cool old X-150.....

All the finish checking on most of those NY Guilds is pretty typical..

I always like finding nice clean old guitars, but can be equally attracted to those that have lots of play and use wear.....
They always have me wondering about the history and circumstances....who played it, where it came from and what they might have played.
Even their style of play can be revealed....the type of neck and fret wear for instance.