Ngd - gf-55

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's are some pix of the GF-55 I just acquired. It is in excellent, original condition. I will have it checked out, but it does not appear to require any work.

For some reason I was expecting it to be smaller than it actually is. Nothing "mini" about it, however. Basically it is a slightly smaller F50R

4mczSI5.jpg

W2yWu3L.jpg

PFiEE6N.jpg

Compared to a D55

t9uZ3VY.jpg

And a F50R

KRBkA0M.jpg

This is simply a great guitar. Plays great fingerstyle, but it really loves to be strummed. It is very comfortable to play as well. A keeper for sure.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A beauty! What an addition to your collection!

I think you have almost as many straps laying around as guitars...

walrus

Graphicism

Reaction score
Oh that is beautiful! And all those Guilds! ...I think you might have a problem ...I would like to have that same problem.

Opsimath

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous!

"I think you might have a problem ...I would like to have that same problem."

I think I have the same problem, but unfortunately I don't have the funding. Count your blessings (and your Guilds!) - that's a wonderful collection. Congratulations!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's really interesting. I would've thought a "GF" of any sort would've had a snakehead. Apparently not.

Beautiful addition, awagner (as usual). :) Magnificent collection!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you even own a beater?

Yes. The F612. Seriously, I guess my Fender F220 SB would qualify as my beater, if I needed one. Nice $200 dreadnought that I bought new around 1984. You just gave me an excuse to check in on it. Been in its case unplayed for quite a while. Sounds surprisingly good, considering the dead strings.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's really interesting. I would've thought a "GF" of any sort would've had a snakehead. Apparently not.

My understanding is that the GF-55 replaced the GF-60 after the Gruhn era, so the snakehead headstock, diamond inlays, and other Gruhn hallmarks were eliminated at that time. Of course, Hans can clarify or correct me if I am mistaken.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats! And I too really like seeing a pic of your guitar room.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats! And I too really like seeing a pic of your guitar room.

Thanks. My guitars and I are about to be evicted from this room. I will be taking over a small bedroom, so I will actually have my own guitar room pretty soon. Looking forward to it.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. My guitars and I are about to be evicted from this room. I will be taking over a small bedroom, so I will actually have my own guitar room pretty soon. Looking forward to it.

And perhaps the LTG could find an armed guard outside of this guitar room.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome.....just like the rest of your Guilds!! Congratulations!!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
4 more to go. I told my wife I would stop at 20 Guilds. At least it would be 1 in/1 out at that point.

Here is my wish list: JF100-12, JV72, DV72-Coral, and D80. Not holding my breath, but if anyone has a line on any one of them, please let me know. Thanks.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Impressive line up!
20 is a reasonable number. Go for it! (I'm sure you knew better than to expect anyone here to convince you otherwise) :highly_amused:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Impressive line up!
20 is a reasonable number. Go for it! (I'm sure you knew better than to expect anyone here to convince you otherwise) :highly_amused:

Just to clarify, I meant 20 Guild acoustics. I reserve the right like Dylan to go electric, or switch brands. Won't happen, but the loophole is there nonetheless.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I meant 20 Guild acoustics. I reserve the right like Dylan to go electric, or switch brands. Won't happen, but the loophole is there nonetheless.

I like the way you think. And it's always a good thing to keep an open mind...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
awagner, congrats and enjoy!! I actually spoke to the previous owner/seller on the phone about this guitar maybe 3 years ago when it was on CL then. At the time, he seemed kind of on the fence about selling it, and I actually wound up talking him into keeping it! when it reappeared recently it certainly caught my attention, but knew it belonged in someone elses collection, and clearly it wound up exactly where it was meant to go. cheers my friend! and "neighbor" (long island)

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Westchester County? My sister lives in Pound Ridge. Anywhere near? When I visit her, I'd love to see your collection!