King Crimson

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Walrus' "Bowie's Guitarists" thread, I thought i'd toss out a couple of teasers about just how many bands had/have members who were in King Crimson at some point.
OK, I'm gonna kick it off with my 2 faves, due to their seeming improbability:
Boz Burell, bassist on Islands, went on to be original member of BAD COMPANY?!?!?!?.
Ian McDonald, sax player/founding member on Court of... became a founding member of.... Foreigner!
Ok for the moroe understandable connections, original bassist Greg Lake went on to other things, drummer Bill Bruford joined 'em beginning with Lark's Tongues in Aspic after being Yes' original drummer.
Bassist John Wetton also joined at that time and went on to tour with Roxy Music and later founded Asia with another Yes alumnus, Steve Howe, (after having formed UK with Bruford) .
Hey that's just tip of the iceberg where King Crimson's concerned...haven't even touched on some of "session men" with heavy jazz pedigrees like Keith Tippet and Marc Charig (well I guess I just did)....or Fripp and Belew's multitudinous connections...but like I said in the Bowie thread, it's a web, not a tree...let the veering begin!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tony Levin on bass and Chapman Stick - how many people has he played with besides Crimson? Hundreds! According to wikipedia, he has played on 500 albums - including Lennon's "Double Fantasy". He's a "web" unto himself!

So is Bill Bruford - his autobiography (a great read, BTW) was like reading the history of prog rock and jazz fusion - he's played with everybody.

It's actually kind of cool that all the people you mentioned (and more) know each other, form bands together, etc., and just keep playing and playing...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's actually kind of cool that all the people you mentioned (and more) know each other, form bands together, etc., and just keep playing and playing...

walrus

It's actually how my best buddy found new people to listen to: he just started looking for music by people who were on albums he liked, or who they'd played with before.. and this was way before Wikipedia made that kind of thing easy!

Neal

Reaction score
Court of the Crimson King was part of the soundtrack of my high school years!

What an awesome album cover.

70's

Reaction score
Yes it is AMAZING all the personnel changes that KC has had and done it with great success! In fact I believe that these line-up changes were essential, although perhaps inadvertently, to their diverse-yet-always-Crimson sound...

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tony Levin I know from everything Peter Gabriel has done in his solo career.

Who has played with more people, Tony or Leyland Sklar ?