Knowing nothing about electrics, but THIS one.....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This would be my dream electric. Sorry, not a Guild but these Parker Guitars are just AMAZING. Love the design and style and this one (of course) because it's maple and BLUE!! I want one!!

RCM6Tm.jpg

Has anyone owned or played one of these? I saw Joni Mitchell play one on the Rosie O'Donnell show quite a while back. I want one.....

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
tried an original all composite nitefly some years ago. fast flat neck, good ergonomics if you dont have a belly, good sounds electric and with piezo, very light. but for my taste only good for modern sounds with lots of fx. didn't have any oldschool vibe at all.

gilded

Reaction score
Tom,

I bought a 'Solid-Blue' Parker for a friend 10+ years ago and kept it for a month before I shipped it to him.

I really liked it. Something about the Parker neck (flat neck shape, fingerboard radius, stainless steel frets, or some combination of the three?) made it much easier to execute complicated double string guitar lines compared to any other other guitar I have ever played on!! Lines that, with much concentration, I could execute 7 out of 10 times successfully on a vintage strat I could do 9 times out of 10 on the Parker almost without effort.

It is true the pickups sounded a little metallic, plus the bodies were/are so shallow that you couldn't mount a hum-bucker with a 'normal depth frame' in the pick-up body cutouts. The company was aware of the issue and came out with a set of DiMarzio pickups that were supposed to have more of a vintage sound, but I never heard them.

The controls were in a different position from the guitars I grew up playing (Gibsons, Guilds & Fenders) but I think I could have gotten used to them in time.

The guitars do have their problems (frets are glued on and sometimes fall off, jack plugs from certain time periods of manufacture are easy to 'wallow out' and cost a big pile of money to replace, etc.), but you can google that information ('parker fly problems') and see what to look out for.

My friend considered selling it about a year ago, but I don't know if he still has it. If you want me touch base with him, I'll be glad to do that. Just send me a PM.

All the best, Harry

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very cool looking.

The headstock is radical. I like that they are making a straight pull for each string. And the exposed 1 and 2 strings is neat. I wonder, though, about that shape; it looks like it wouldn't take much to crack the headstock. Is it wood or composite?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The guitars do have their problems (frets are glued on and sometimes fall off, ...
That's not a problem, its a feature! Just get rid of the frets that aren't needed for the mode you're in, and soloing is a breeze!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Probably one of the most known players of Parker Fly guitars is Reeves Gabrels, David Bowie's guitarist for several albums. There are plenty of clips on youtube of him playing one - his style is very different than Joni's, though!

Here's one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tksS83I8E7k

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guitars, like most instruments, are a very personal thing. Having played a Parker Fly or three I was left unmoved. What I did like what the extreme lightweight nature of the guitar and it's definitely an eye-catching design. What I didn't like was how thin it was which is an odd thing to say but it was the first thing that jumped out at me after the weight. It almost felt like it was a fake plastic guitar and it made me feel like it cost too much. Of course, the scientific side of my brain insists that that's a ridiculous thing to say but the emotional side of my brain (the part that wants a real '59 Les Paul) just said, "Nope!". To be fair, I didn't try them all and this could be representative of only one model - I don't remember.

The thing about Parkers is that they are very non-traditional. Guitarists tend to be very traditional (myself included) and so it takes a certain mindset to accept the Parker Fly. Just take a look at this control cavity and I think you'll see my point:

fly-cavity-2001.jpg

Using a circuit board allows for all sorts of cool options that would be difficult to embrace using the 1950's technology most electric guitars use. Again, the scientific part of my brain knows that there is no downside to using well made and designed circuit boards, but the emotional part of my brain says, "Nope!" The fact that the cavity isn't finished in that pic bugs me, too. I'm sure it makes for a lower cost of production, but it bugs me.

For me, the issue comes down to my preconceived notion of what an electric guitar should be. As Henry Ford once said, "If I had asked people what they want, they would have said, 'faster horses.'" That puts me firmly in the way of progress, I suppose. :cool:

Last edited:

Qvart

Reaction score
A friend of mine used to play one. Perhaps still does. Probably only really appeal to certain players.

Here's his old band:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great information and input guys!! This is great! I guess if I was a more traditional guy I'd like a more traditional sound. These clips are awesome, thanks for sharing those. I would be playing more like Joni does hers and I did find the clip from her appearance on Rosie's show. She messes up one of the verses and has a sore throat but Joni on a bad day is usually better than most people on their BEST day! Take a listen to this one. Pretty guitar.

Harry, if I was in a position to buy a guitar right now, I'd be PM'ing you for sure! But this year is gonna be tricky for me. There's a lot to accomplish and surgeries to be done so, I doubt very much a new guitar will show up for a while. But thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

Keep the replies and impressions coming, folks. I'm enjoying learning more about these cool and different guitars! :encouragement:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ooooops, Sorry walrus!! I guess I was composing while you were posting. Same appearance. Good stuff!! I like the interview that follows too. Sorry for duplicating!!

GAD, that Henry Ford quote is EPIC!! I'll remember that one!! :encouragement:

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I played a few Flys when they first came out. Didn't much care for the thin necks but otherwise I liked 'em. Big chunky necks were my "thing" back then…nowadays I'm way less fussy about such stuff. They did sound different too, but I like different. :)

-Dave-

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I am someone who has played acoustic guitar for most of my life (62 yrs.). I bought my first electric guitar and amp about 10 years ago. I mostly just strum the electrics, and pick out a few riffs here and there. I did find that playing electric guitar helped me clean up some of the sloppiness in my technique. When I make a mistake on acoustic guitar they may hear it in the next room... on electric guitar they can hear it two blocks away! :eek:nthego:

sailingshoes

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
fly-cavity-2001.jpg

The fact that the cavity isn't finished in that pic bugs me, too.

Quote snipped.

Would you elaborate, please? It looks to me like the cavity was only roughly smoothed out and then painted with some kind of shielding paint. Are you referring to what are probably tool marks that remain under the paint or something else? Thanks.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Quote snipped.

Would you elaborate, please? It looks to me like the cavity was only roughly smoothed out and then painted with some kind of shielding paint. Are you referring to what are probably tool marks that remain under the paint or something else? Thanks.

Hmm - you may be right. The shielding paint looked like wood to my sleep addled brain.

matsickma

Reaction score
Mark Farner started using one after his doctor recommended he put less stress on hus back and neck. He claims it made him a better player.
M

crank

Reaction score
Funny that there is a Bowie guitarists thread at the same time because Adrian Belew is a big Parker Fly fan and I think he has a signature model Parker as well.

I jam with a really good player who has one but these days he mostly uses a Telecaster.