Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what is this Guild bass

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmalmberg View Post
    I just picked up a (fretted) JSII off ebay for 800 shipped. Fair condition - non-stock paint, loose wire on the bridge pickup and hacked surround on the neck pickup, no idea why. Came with a nice non-original case. Have barely even played it, just plugged it in this afternoon for 20 minutes. Not primarily a bass player, I previously had an m85 with the the adjustable pole single coils; it eventually became worth too much to keep so this will be the replacement. I did love the sounds of my m85..Worth thinking about darkstars? Main reason I'm thinking about it is I'm probably going to be refinishing it and making new or finding old pickup surrounds. Too much work to want to do twice... Opinions? Thanks:)
    Welcome. Might be interesting to start a new thread for your bass once you get and post pictures. On the PU swap I think happy face still loves his JS II with Dark Stars. mellowgerman has had a Bisonic clone in a solid body and loved it. I have Curtis Novak Bisonic in a custom built solid body and also love it. That said, your budget might be a factor. Dark Stars (and Hagstrom Bisonics) are long out of production so when you find one they will be priced accordingly. The Guild Bisonic lists at $125 and the Curtis Novak starts at $275. I think there is one other person trying to clone the Bisonic but I forget who. I can recreate my reasons for going for the Curtis Novak if that is of interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Welcome. Might be interesting to start a new thread for your bass once you get and post pictures. On the PU swap I think happy face still loves his JS II with Dark Stars. mellowgerman has had a Bisonic clone in a solid body and loved it. I have Curtis Novak Bisonic in a custom built solid body and also love it. That said, your budget might be a factor. Dark Stars (and Hagstrom Bisonics) are long out of production so when you find one they will be priced accordingly. The Guild Bisonic lists at $125 and the Curtis Novak starts at $275. I think there is one other person trying to clone the Bisonic but I forget who. I can recreate my reasons for going for the Curtis Novak if that is of interest.
    Thanks, and yeah I didn't want to hijack this thread it just seemed like a very closely related conversation. I'll get some pictures of it and start a thread before I refinish the body. Wish I'd shot some pictures of the weird plastic mother-of-pearl homemade surround the neck pickup had before I removed it. Actually I can probably pull them from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/222347072894...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). It fell apart (old acrylic) so I'm looking for replacement surrounds. What ever happened to Fred Hammon's Darkstar business? Must be limited demand, maybe he was a little too ahead of the curve in terms of the rise in popularity of these. $275 x 2 is steep but I might not be too far over the value when it's done anyway. Not that I'd be looking to sell it or make money on it...

I can recreate my reasons for going for the Curtis Novak if that is of interest.
    Sure. I didn't realize Guild was marketing their own repro. For the money I'd be inclined if they're within 5% or so of each other... Thanks again:)

My luthier has posted it on his facebook page. Asking Can$ 800 ... a bit too rich for me ...

https://www.facebook.com/SawchynGuit...39462309398644

Quote Originally Posted by merlin6666 View Post
    My luthier has posted it on his facebook page. Asking Can$ 800 ... a bit too rich for me ...

https://www.facebook.com/SawchynGuit...39462309398644
    Sure looks like a nice specimen. However, $800 is probably the top end of the value-scale for a JS-I and I would want it to be near mint condition with all original parts (including the volume and tone knobs) at that price. That said, if I happened to be in his shop and picked it up and it was THE ONE -- containing all the resonant magic that mahogany can deliver and playing 100% perfectly to my preference -- the price tag may be more acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowgerman View Post
    Sure looks like a nice specimen. However, $800 is probably the top end of the value-scale for a JS-I and I would want it to be near mint condition with all original parts (including the volume and tone knobs) at that price. That said, if I happened to be in his shop and picked it up and it was THE ONE -- containing all the resonant magic that mahogany can deliver and playing 100% perfectly to my preference -- the price tag may be more acceptable.
    The US$ equivalent is probably around 600 though.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin6666 View Post
    The US$ equivalent is probably around 600 though.
    Good point. That would make it a very solid deal!

I paid a little more for my JS-II, but it is a carved (had to be to match the S-100):

D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmalmberg View Post
    I just picked up a (fretted) JSII off ebay for 800 shipped. Fair condition - non-stock paint, loose wire on the bridge pickup and hacked surround on the neck pickup, no idea why. Came with a nice non-original case. Have barely even played it, just plugged it in this afternoon for 20 minutes. Not primarily a bass player, I previously had an m85 with the the adjustable pole single coils; it eventually became worth too much to keep so this will be the replacement. I did love the sounds of my m85..Worth thinking about darkstars? Main reason I'm thinking about it is I'm probably going to be refinishing it and making new or finding old pickup surrounds. Too much work to want to do twice... Opinions? Thanks:)
    I just sent you a private message. Please read it since we are old friends. Not sure if they are launching however.

The Newark Street Bisonics look to be the most cost effective. Especially if bass is not your main endeavor.

The JS-II is a comfortable gigging bass. That's why I did what you are about to go do, including the refin. I found the Starfire to he awkward given my diminutive stature.
    Last edited by Happy Face; 01-10-2017 at 12:48 AM.

On the PU swap I think happy face still loves his JS II with Dark Stars. mellowgerman has had a Bisonic clone in a solid body and loved it. I have Curtis Novak Bisonic in a custom built solid body and also love it.
    you left me out

and ukulelelab

and mgod

and Phil

and...this

Bluesypicky- nice!!