Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what is this Guild bass

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    Fro, I agree with your "acquired taste" description (it's friendlier than the previously quoted "meh")

It's a nice little bass, but it's utilization range fits in a small niche.
    I didn't remember you owning one... pics please?
    "One trick pony" is a good description of the PU and if you happen to want that pony in your act then there is nothing better.

'71. I am the original owner. Most pics were taken for some other reason. I really should do a photo shoot...

Grainy action shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Nice. I like this dark (walnut?) finish... what was it called? (if other than "nature boy")
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    Nice. I like this dark (walnut?) finish... what was it called? (if other than "nature boy")
    Yep. Walnut. The pics don't do it justice.
    What he said.

'71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '87 Pilot (Black)

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

My fantasy is that me or my estate would get $1000 for an original owner 1971 JS II in VG condition but I don't think that is realistic.
    Frono, I don't think that $1000 for yours would be unrealistic. I honestly think a JS-I in excellent condition is worth $700-750, that's why I suggested that at $600 or less I would consider that JS-I to be a good deal. The two-pickup models are a lot more versatile. I see JS-II basses from that era online for $1200+ all day and very few of them are in as nice of condition as yours. My thought is that if you are patient and wait for the right buyer locally, you should be able to get $1000.
    Not to mention, who knows what will be reissued in the Guild bass line in years to come. My thought is that the NS line (if it is continued and I imagine it will be) will continue to go up in price steadily as it seems everything else is in the new music instrument market. So hypothetically if they were to reissue an NS JS-II bass in the next couple of years, it would likely hit the market around $1k... what interested party then wouldn't be happy to pay the same amount for a vintage one in excellent condition?
    Just sayin!

Quote Originally Posted by mellowgerman View Post
    Frono, I don't think that $1000 for yours would be unrealistic. I honestly think a JS-I in excellent condition is worth $700-750, that's why I suggested that at $600 or less I would consider that JS-I to be a good deal. The two-pickup models are a lot more versatile. I see JS-II basses from that era online for $1200+ all day and very few of them are in as nice of condition as yours. My thought is that if you are patient and wait for the right buyer locally, you should be able to get $1000.
    Not to mention, who knows what will be reissued in the Guild bass line in years to come. My thought is that the NS line (if it is continued and I imagine it will be) will continue to go up in price steadily as it seems everything else is in the new music instrument market. So hypothetically if they were to reissue an NS JS-II bass in the next couple of years, it would likely hit the market around $1k... what interested party then wouldn't be happy to pay the same amount for a vintage one in excellent condition?
    Just sayin!
    I am in violent agreement with this statement.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

The way I read the catalog I would say that all JS I's are short scale but could be fretted or fretless but that is just my interpretation. And we know that the catalog doesn't always describe what was built :-)
    I know anything is possible with Guild but i've never seen a long scale, or "carved" JS I, and doubt any exist. Fretless also unlikely but possible on a JS I.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    I know anything is possible with Guild but i've never seen a long scale, or "carved" JS I, and doubt any exist. Fretless also unlikely but possible on a JS I.
    I think we are agreeing? ;-)
    What he said.

'71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '87 Pilot (Black)

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

I think we are agreeing? ;-)
    yes we are agreeing! I was just adding in addition to your thoughts, that even with all of the variations and crazy things Guild has done, I am quite certain there is no JS I long scale, or JS I carved, or any combination thereof.

Even a long scale JS II would not be carved, because the bridge would completely cover the carving, regardless of the pickups.

A JS I Carved short scale would be awesome!! the carvings would pop more without all that extra hardware. Like I said though, I doubt one exists.

A long scale JS I doesnt seem to make much sense with only one pickup all the way at the neck/fretboard. I suppose if one was offered, at least one was made. But, id bet before long, it was converted to a JS II.

any bass could be fretless. Dont think ive ever seen a JS fretless however. Not factory original at least.

Speaking of JS fretless basses: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-1973-J...e/262796156640

Though, it doesn't look to be a factory fretless. Note: good number of obvious modifications have been done. Still, not a bad price IMO

I just picked up a (fretted) JSII off ebay for 800 shipped. Fair condition - non-stock paint, loose wire on the bridge pickup and hacked surround on the neck pickup, no idea why. Came with a nice non-original case. Have barely even played it, just plugged it in this afternoon for 20 minutes. Not primarily a bass player, I previously had an m85 with the the adjustable pole single coils; it eventually became worth too much to keep so this will be the replacement. I did love the sounds of my m85..Worth thinking about darkstars? Main reason I'm thinking about it is I'm probably going to be refinishing it and making new or finding old pickup surrounds. Too much work to want to do twice... Opinions? Thanks:)