Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what is this Guild bass

Quote Originally Posted by merlin6666 View Post
    Not necessarily a bass, could be a guitar maybe a Silvertone.
    Okay, now that you say that, the scale does look a little small for bass (especially next to the already small Guild)

Blog Entries
    To reiterate. Guild JS I - production dates will be within 1970-1977. Some of the JS I's have a different headstock treatment - I recall a gold decal rather than the Chesterfield and inlays. The pole pieces are flipped on some JS I's compared to the neck position on a JS II. I seem to recall a satin type of factory finish offered but could not say for certain that the pictured instrument was not refinished. There were long scale (34") JS II's but I'm not sure about a LS JS I. Regardless, the proportions in the photo suggest the 30.5" scale.

The pickups are an acquired taste, IMO. "muddy" is a common and uncomplimentary comment. I would use 'fat' or 'boomy'. I think the JS I always had the deep/hard toggle (a.k.a. suck switch) and you do get two different tones with it so there is some variety. It is not the "Fender" sound, nor does it have much in common with the Bisonic family. It is its own beast.

Every so often I get the JS II out of the case and play. Ergonomically I wonder why I don't play it more and then I listen to it and after a while understand why.

My fantasy is that me or my estate would get $1000 for an original owner 1971 JS II in VG condition but I don't think that is realistic. If there are no issues and a case $500 (US) +/- seems reasonable for the pictured instrument, especially if the buyer has heard it first and could do something with the sound.
    Last edited by fronobulax; 01-05-2017 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Fro, I agree with your "acquired taste" description (it's friendlier than the previously quoted "meh")

It's a nice little bass, but it's utilization range fits in a small niche.
    I didn't remember you owning one... pics please?
    Last edited by bluesypicky; 01-05-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Getting back to the JSII utilization, I will add that I always had the feeling it would make a killer fretless, as it kinda already has this "boomy" low medium sound, almost "nasaly" if you catch my drift.
    Thought about the conversion for a moment.....
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

To reiterate. Guild JS I - production dates will be within 1970-1977.
    The JS I was discontinued in 1975. I used to own one, a 1972. the full range humbucker was, just, all kinds of bass. It did not sound bad but as others have posted, its kind of a one trick pony. The bass I had though, sounded phenomenal with the deep hard switch engaged to cut the bass. it was quite contained, and sounded like an upright. of course my biggest problem with the bass was switching the deep hard switch unintentionally while playing...which will certainly get the attention of pretty much anyone in the room. but...they are nice! I sold it when I found a JS II with a Bisonic and mini bucker.

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    it was quite contained, and sounded like an upright.
    EXACTLY!!!!
    (hence my remark on its fretless potential)
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    EXACTLY!!!!
    (hence my remark on its fretless potential)
    they must have made at least one fretless JS piece, if not a handfull, over all those years? Possibly even a long scale fretless JS.

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    they must have made at least one fretless JS piece, if not a handfull, over all those years? Possibly even a long scale fretless JS.
    Not that it means they didn't, but only recall ever seeing "Fretless" in combination with "Pilot", here.
    Don't think the sound itself got popularized (with accompanying demand) until Jaco P. hit the scene, early '80's.
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-06-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Not that it means they didn't, but only recall ever seeing "Fretless" in combination with "Pilot", here.
    Don't think the sound itself got popularized (with accompanying demand) until Jaco P. hit the scene, early '80's.
    ive seen some fretless B-301 & B-302s, and a couple of acoustics (B-4, B-30). I would guess if a fretless JS bass surfaced it would be long scale, and there is a chance it would have the B-302 pickups (Guild DP-8 pickups), although I have seen LS JS's with the buckers.

Blog Entries
    1971 catalog from here says stereo and/or 34" scale were options and the fretless versions were available. So the factory was willing to make them although we have no idea how many were made.

The way I read the catalog I would say that all JS I's are short scale but could be fretted or fretless but that is just my interpretation. And we know that the catalog doesn't always describe what was built :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.