Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is this Guild bass

what is this Guild bass

Yesterday at my local guitar store I noticed this really cool looking Guild bass hanging at the consignment wall. He must have just got it in as there was no label or price on it. I just had a quick look and it seemed to have very low action and apparently wooden saddles. So what kind of a Guild bass is this, when were they built and what kind of music are they most suited for? Also it does not look huge or intimidating so wonder if this has a shorter scale? Oh and what would be a good price for this (looks in great shape, very few scratches)

JS-I short scale (30"). Early 70s vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Face View Post
    JS-I short scale (30"). Early 70s vintage?
    Yep. From the '70's. Counterpart to the S-100 guitar. Frono can tell you all about them (including the pickups being kinda "meh").

Looks sweet!
    2016 NS S-100

Capnjuan (RIP, brother):

And thank you for single-handedly re-introducing the S100 and other solid body guitars. It was you and your posse that put them back in front of the members ... until you showed up and your enthusiasm made them interesting again, nobody had paid much attention to them.
    (A bit of an exaggeration I think, but I'll take it. -Q)

In addition to what was posted above I'd add that to me it looks like the finish was removed as it should have been factory finished gloss.

(Now Hans will check in and correct me that Guild did some hand-rubbed oil finishes!)

I have one just like it:

Cool.... I never knew they made it on a single pickup form.
    Last edited by bluesypicky; 01-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guilds of Grot View Post
    In addition to what was posted above I'd add that to me it looks like the finish was removed as it should have been factory finished gloss.

Yes I wondered about the finish, it certainly has a very natural feel, actually quite attractive. I always wanted a bass but never had use for one, though if this one is priced well I may just pick it up for the heck of it.
    Last edited by merlin6666; 01-04-2017 at 08:42 PM.

The finish might actually be original. My 1971 JS-II had a very thin satin natural finish too (no gloss); the control and pickup cavities suggested it was original.
    Super comfortable basses! The 70's Guild humbuckers are cool for that big woody boomy sound, which will definitely be the case with this one since it is the single neck-pickup version (JS-I).
    If I saw one for under $600 in good shape I would consider it a great deal.

On a side-note, what is that hollowbody bass hanging in front of it? Looks very interesting and unlike anything I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by mellowgerman View Post
    On a side-note, what is that hollowbody bass hanging in front of it? Looks very interesting and unlike anything I've seen
    Didn't pay much attention, I think there was a Rickenbacker near it when I looked up at the heads but could have been the next in line.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin6666 View Post
    Didn't pay much attention, I think there was a Rickenbacker near it when I looked up at the heads but could have been the next in line.
    The one behind it definitely is a Rick, but the maroon looking one in front of it looks really cool! Floating bridge, trapeze tailpiece, and some kind of white neck humbucker... looks like it might be a custom piece

Quote Originally Posted by mellowgerman View Post
    The one behind it definitely is a Rick, but the maroon looking one in front of it looks really cool! Floating bridge, trapeze tailpiece, and some kind of white neck humbucker... looks like it might be a custom piece
    Not necessarily a bass, could be a guitar maybe a Silvertone.