what is this Guild bass

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fro, I agree with your "acquired taste" description (it's friendlier than the previously quoted "meh") :laughing:

It's a nice little bass, but it's utilization range fits in a small niche.
I didn't remember you owning one... pics please?

"One trick pony" is a good description of the PU and if you happen to want that pony in your act then there is nothing better.

'71. I am the original owner. Most pics were taken for some other reason. I really should do a photo shoot...

Grainy action shot.

zgVl2MpXoYo7RDM_lCZNxXo6g8LUgujQGGCUTvLyNZ9pV6kzXjCUs_Ak5tvqy1R4tXaAzz7zG9kh4xh9s1REH9jmWSOJbN2ZDdSoDWEFCqZp3Q2v-kSriUWImIkg-L1MGi5mR7phaCemT7js4f-oM8R5VsrlHGX_5lLUnE0rLKq2aLPIZMO8vY7mwKkJdpt-Sw1yPW8qqzp7AdDOiC04kK3GNXF7LVPlZlnDvA_9nF4Os2ZB7tTaKzS82Hb0dcJ8ILnWjHiid2OT_tuG8hra4BqZsSGQ_Rl70Z5KKOK5F5yALCqAIjiJ0JzH54GP7miyhIzDaOfjg-C2qqQbl6tmowehqUcX49RQ-jP2RlZykS9dcZ9pj1bNK1-VQdaN1WWGagKRaAFJwNgLfn_uSnknLK4_EnlmUbLwe_dUCL9MgMf4NZCQKkQQ-n6FdJ37SDl5AGM27xgYj-FXqQ1cjzgW8e3gNdBwSgqcdh3eQT3yDptxbb5H_B9iVGatTDngnteCzYDSj5hAKAiAlTIF9vDtN9QBfdLH7Z4xKPITRchdiytQ_0i54EHm1v1UyItdl0Ok_g4xNCanq8QcUYDqklpLscSy7lLsC0ucU8A0pwPq8kRMY6VfTFqM=w1995-h1495-no

dpO0_Ffrp4QiFr0lGcHiUFC-izR5aCrdQBXSQlF0oW_ri8RFIfFtQDs7bodyQbkQB8UqPqGl0BxLMFR7jx8mbL0EPmIMpOQX5Cys-WbTe9FOrD26Nbc9ExWGkDSwvZ5G_8-TkXCwKdpRqu1mJ2mmvkL-rISzNH6_GfT6NsytWtuPf97TixYXe9yTYpb8VobV92eS8FKKlQzhNw8McGR6RmSVLwyafyaH99ZbvkQmwfsCFokNJen4NBSLEE26SmKXI9yvXppmgwfT_DaeOxOtdQWiQtyuvFiplCXKQ9J1gFQPADKoTbDIF3qir84UphX3M8GJf69SAcGegEIx7oJsdK8limuqUnLgONRaqZC0_W5qZxD6mdO1DT4UEu2lsfDP44cPzNJUuFwCNi9yNW-Bn0hpgCL5OFkcdyNjhN2MQflYdBTk1yGjPrnN19GnRuXleH-gJkzxY2SjwETwGsHrAT9SeDs0D0FEcCky_JV_yytKNjSA4fz02HzW8Mpwv88chcTArDDXwm5nlU5dTK--Z5AdABk7NRioi1Bb7N8p6nlE5PpPBHGHnFUnjlOQfm--FWzf5kD4QsuRRgY3yAnGkE2dCT2onEYWslo-gMGjXV4EnbX8Wt3W=w1123-h1495-no

M5zhswGmviOBVUmiusKygkUpWN21nSrW-FN_jCas763PDCmIyMCA4tLln1A_QQeGcAks-3PwyiVGeOh6_CWm3iIS1RYFRtkMYrcS0rQ17JjFuNhlsW7nQMTOYy1bPeDrEZ_6shMOFE9fwZKkVyCYjSFPXl1iIEuiRhjq5cE1sRYq5aAdpkCF1lbeqQFE7C05TM5R0M15_x0nZ7ytP6nZYhygBS4wx5qOkqc0Uj8-oS1aeZzwVAHvdB4GzEb134-JUKjgJB5DXVuCi23XO2Jp8B4DjHZKn2Waeq2zg6K7uqfCsLmHUC8_JTECa5ex9wx31M9_Ui0rMd092qHL6dgu-QgIQ55k2f123ZN3eADSyZ_ZC6JZiWHmCDo2Ahrf9yEMhjSjnB4uizqD1VddLxwtrfeXlXoZYBbhG6gqwel3PdqVwGU6Y5Nciywpw0_nA624mB3Kp0xn5gEi2VSXwn7-Mhc0aqe1-IItFi61TmMedUQqNTCPFoNCQI4SDC-ugA_W31JwmMaV0PqD-4hT3Jr3NEkJBVmC2fN1aXQ_X7QEQDZ73Xi2H6h0H1VLhPKfTuexUrVW-tPbOStULkKTNC1gjBjf2-J82EL_rjX3SczUSTogeQkP=w1600-h1200-no

4qlTGUEkmOV744s84v9yvKJkRH4nwcOHlJe3e0pcqSRJEcyOA_bJaLjuN-FBLbQ_jotp49tSgjadtXJ5DumkJ1WIOLFeHZ-lyDGdaHquNIMKtoHYyEViPwPtO0d69OYo26ixJ8UFzn0S9GjSU1VjPH-9IjNhufF_ZbtIvUg4Jbk0siKL9AfxrU_191kfqL1xZyJyGUvW7fr8Cc50o15aGNullG1R_Qyx10rMPxWpkLL18yu_6okDvxEM8WXLVAWd1AxuE07fXo4XSGku8dD3vbmHbW82BvzZpDhJcOdZ0bXWy1eS3AYFeFa9j89NquU3rPjo5JZqwGzrqO0vgg3Rv_i6uf3etLsD20YeBktwqGA6VT_shJJYbJwjj0MN7DqUHv3HLCEXuQP2B6b3SEQ88hCtCOVx8iJhirb4U2pohPZ_duWfCKVC_CaKsthSjVKe6tcH-IoeFNRfJ9ykJ7iX-JxUlgdDBtmg4shxGccrtevGsh1HmV4kXs9rXQwDRF7SJYaEZ-zVN1nMMxUTf8Fm5OzbAA8OuBGYcmWwVqD6FUzuTstuGxZgF7tlbdXXAjXhHlWGFHbY1Fyndlc_6d4nP3nd0o0-_lPbDd_Tna4PajjuBv_3=w1600-h1200-no

Ido3il7g3wBGdEJfcNIEsRBVzH53gySx4ksDGW_l-37yTSze1jstavjb8teEnO4aBUtnoQ5GgIPng_7libTq5uQAO0BxxdUr6h12JAFqYBMnVOse5uKUzBTUi5zrBreAeMekP02k6_zYjKOdnmgTLtU4qyCwTWzpGa9SP0KnBAEHu81Vc_Tmppvtj-lk8hrJzyEq0eijT5acZTXiH8dZ2Cp6R3zTxQ6hnAzNge8GGFs_Ig6S8cqNapXUd4FcvbLOrJKg9Rq_VfDyUIT3njhO6TmA-PU1vOwTeNbfCkIFxpahgfwYpzmlzlY-RP_mVwOighVx4abatCseLDXrfnsU3c2AtZeDk4HDtDawvZZ5f3Buiw0BnscEbWVDG0ejVSAdDaMjLrzfRFP28dst3ZA1HLPzSYhFOr24tXv9ytj-2-OHL8Gxjz-UgqF-zV5kbyCZ3vAcfK4D_OwV5UdrRYpM-9MCdb2N6TuwwPW5w_V06r7akVk6KvX5K-SzsOPZRWAk_KQpw6spIKITs30aTvHNnjcGXnp80rYYocXpBJckDGdHZY4miHDlZ67EJ6q-OYyT4aEQAFiZbupNQ4CVoozBTaORgGfZfLeuX6vzgSGdaoMMgV1v=w1600-h1200-no

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice. I like this dark (walnut?) finish... what was it called? (if other than "nature boy")

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My fantasy is that me or my estate would get $1000 for an original owner 1971 JS II in VG condition but I don't think that is realistic.

Frono, I don't think that $1000 for yours would be unrealistic. I honestly think a JS-I in excellent condition is worth $700-750, that's why I suggested that at $600 or less I would consider that JS-I to be a good deal. The two-pickup models are a lot more versatile. I see JS-II basses from that era online for $1200+ all day and very few of them are in as nice of condition as yours. My thought is that if you are patient and wait for the right buyer locally, you should be able to get $1000.
Not to mention, who knows what will be reissued in the Guild bass line in years to come. My thought is that the NS line (if it is continued and I imagine it will be) will continue to go up in price steadily as it seems everything else is in the new music instrument market. So hypothetically if they were to reissue an NS JS-II bass in the next couple of years, it would likely hit the market around $1k... what interested party then wouldn't be happy to pay the same amount for a vintage one in excellent condition?
Just sayin!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Frono, I don't think that $1000 for yours would be unrealistic. I honestly think a JS-I in excellent condition is worth $700-750, that's why I suggested that at $600 or less I would consider that JS-I to be a good deal. The two-pickup models are a lot more versatile. I see JS-II basses from that era online for $1200+ all day and very few of them are in as nice of condition as yours. My thought is that if you are patient and wait for the right buyer locally, you should be able to get $1000.
Not to mention, who knows what will be reissued in the Guild bass line in years to come. My thought is that the NS line (if it is continued and I imagine it will be) will continue to go up in price steadily as it seems everything else is in the new music instrument market. So hypothetically if they were to reissue an NS JS-II bass in the next couple of years, it would likely hit the market around $1k... what interested party then wouldn't be happy to pay the same amount for a vintage one in excellent condition?
Just sayin!

I am in violent agreement with this statement.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The way I read the catalog I would say that all JS I's are short scale but could be fretted or fretless but that is just my interpretation. And we know that the catalog doesn't always describe what was built :)

I know anything is possible with Guild but i've never seen a long scale, or "carved" JS I, and doubt any exist. Fretless also unlikely but possible on a JS I.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think we are agreeing? ;-)

yes we are agreeing! I was just adding in addition to your thoughts, that even with all of the variations and crazy things Guild has done, I am quite certain there is no JS I long scale, or JS I carved, or any combination thereof.

Even a long scale JS II would not be carved, because the bridge would completely cover the carving, regardless of the pickups.

A JS I Carved short scale would be awesome!! the carvings would pop more without all that extra hardware. Like I said though, I doubt one exists.

A long scale JS I doesnt seem to make much sense with only one pickup all the way at the neck/fretboard. I suppose if one was offered, at least one was made. But, id bet before long, it was converted to a JS II.

any bass could be fretless. Dont think ive ever seen a JS fretless however. Not factory original at least.

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
I just picked up a (fretted) JSII off ebay for 800 shipped. Fair condition - non-stock paint, loose wire on the bridge pickup and hacked surround on the neck pickup, no idea why. Came with a nice non-original case. Have barely even played it, just plugged it in this afternoon for 20 minutes. Not primarily a bass player, I previously had an m85 with the the adjustable pole single coils; it eventually became worth too much to keep so this will be the replacement. I did love the sounds of my m85..Worth thinking about darkstars? Main reason I'm thinking about it is I'm probably going to be refinishing it and making new or finding old pickup surrounds. Too much work to want to do twice... Opinions? Thanks:)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just picked up a (fretted) JSII off ebay for 800 shipped. Fair condition - non-stock paint, loose wire on the bridge pickup and hacked surround on the neck pickup, no idea why. Came with a nice non-original case. Have barely even played it, just plugged it in this afternoon for 20 minutes. Not primarily a bass player, I previously had an m85 with the the adjustable pole single coils; it eventually became worth too much to keep so this will be the replacement. I did love the sounds of my m85..Worth thinking about darkstars? Main reason I'm thinking about it is I'm probably going to be refinishing it and making new or finding old pickup surrounds. Too much work to want to do twice... Opinions? Thanks:)

Welcome. Might be interesting to start a new thread for your bass once you get and post pictures. On the PU swap I think happy face still loves his JS II with Dark Stars. mellowgerman has had a Bisonic clone in a solid body and loved it. I have Curtis Novak Bisonic in a custom built solid body and also love it. That said, your budget might be a factor. Dark Stars (and Hagstrom Bisonics) are long out of production so when you find one they will be priced accordingly. The Guild Bisonic lists at $125 and the Curtis Novak starts at $275. I think there is one other person trying to clone the Bisonic but I forget who. I can recreate my reasons for going for the Curtis Novak if that is of interest.

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
Welcome. Might be interesting to start a new thread for your bass once you get and post pictures. On the PU swap I think happy face still loves his JS II with Dark Stars. mellowgerman has had a Bisonic clone in a solid body and loved it. I have Curtis Novak Bisonic in a custom built solid body and also love it. That said, your budget might be a factor. Dark Stars (and Hagstrom Bisonics) are long out of production so when you find one they will be priced accordingly. The Guild Bisonic lists at $125 and the Curtis Novak starts at $275. I think there is one other person trying to clone the Bisonic but I forget who. I can recreate my reasons for going for the Curtis Novak if that is of interest.

Thanks, and yeah I didn't want to hijack this thread it just seemed like a very closely related conversation. I'll get some pictures of it and start a thread before I refinish the body. Wish I'd shot some pictures of the weird plastic mother-of-pearl homemade surround the neck pickup had before I removed it. Actually I can probably pull them from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/222347072894?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). It fell apart (old acrylic) so I'm looking for replacement surrounds. What ever happened to Fred Hammon's Darkstar business? Must be limited demand, maybe he was a little too ahead of the curve in terms of the rise in popularity of these. $275 x 2 is steep but I might not be too far over the value when it's done anyway. Not that I'd be looking to sell it or make money on it...

mmmalmberg

Reaction score
I can recreate my reasons for going for the Curtis Novak if that is of interest.

Sure. I didn't realize Guild was marketing their own repro. For the money I'd be inclined if they're within 5% or so of each other... Thanks again:)

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My luthier has posted it on his facebook page. Asking Can$ 800 ... a bit too rich for me ...

https://www.facebook.com/SawchynGuitars/posts/1439462309398644

Sure looks like a nice specimen. However, $800 is probably the top end of the value-scale for a JS-I and I would want it to be near mint condition with all original parts (including the volume and tone knobs) at that price. That said, if I happened to be in his shop and picked it up and it was THE ONE -- containing all the resonant magic that mahogany can deliver and playing 100% perfectly to my preference -- the price tag may be more acceptable.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Sure looks like a nice specimen. However, $800 is probably the top end of the value-scale for a JS-I and I would want it to be near mint condition with all original parts (including the volume and tone knobs) at that price. That said, if I happened to be in his shop and picked it up and it was THE ONE -- containing all the resonant magic that mahogany can deliver and playing 100% perfectly to my preference -- the price tag may be more acceptable.

The US$ equivalent is probably around 600 though.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I paid a little more for my JS-II, but it is a carved (had to be to match the S-100):

28h2brt.jpg

:peaceful:

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score

I just sent you a private message. Please read it since we are old friends. Not sure if they are launching however.

The Newark Street Bisonics look to be the most cost effective. Especially if bass is not your main endeavor.

The JS-II is a comfortable gigging bass. That's why I did what you are about to go do, including the refin. I found the Starfire to he awkward given my diminutive stature.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On the PU swap I think happy face still loves his JS II with Dark Stars. mellowgerman has had a Bisonic clone in a solid body and loved it. I have Curtis Novak Bisonic in a custom built solid body and also love it.

you left me out

XfHZpQ.jpg

and ukulelelab

Z7Sl05.jpg

and mgod

i5OgP0.jpg

and Phil

Oyudsh.png

and...this

9pr9Ay.jpg

Bluesypicky- nice!!