Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Last time

Just one man's opinion, from my five-year binge-and-purge guitar-buying experience...

Really good ones, at really good prices, do not last long. You have to be a little obsessive-compulsive to learn the market, know what a good deal looks like when it appears, what problems look like (often in a few photos), be ready to make a few mistakes, and accept that in the used market, there is no such thing as perfection.

Be ready to strike the instant something comes on the market that meets your purchase criteria. Late Westerly Guilds are pretty safe bets, as they are superbly constructed and not old enough in most cases to have really bad issues.

Honestly, the easiest, most satisfying purchases (and sales) I have made have been here on this forum, including one last night!
    Neal

'53 "X-150" Redburst
    '54 X-50 SB
    '54 X-200-S SB
    '71 F-20 NT ("Tonya")
    '71 D-25 BR
    '73 D-35 NT
    '81 D-212 SB
    '05 F-50R NT
    '12 F-50 STD SB

Others: '59 Gretsch Clipper, '74 Dobro Round-Neck Resonator (wood), '77 Dobro Squareneck Resonator (bell brass), '87 Dobro Square-Neck Resonator (wood), '07 Rockbridge Adi/Mahogany dreadnought, '09 Huss and Dalton TD-M Custom dreadnought, Tele Partscaster.

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Do you like 1 11/16" necks or 1 5/8" Necks? '70s Starfires (where your more likely to find a VI) tend to have smaller necks while the late 90's Starfires tend to have wider deeper necks.

Really does not matter to me too much but a tad wider is always a +.
    My other guitars are a J200, Songwriter Deluxe, LP R0, Gretsch Corvette (no bigsby :( ), PRS SE Mark Tremonti and an ES335 Dave Grohl.
    So you can see I like quality and for what it is worth, the PRS for $599 is laser perfect but the pickups are meh.
    FWIW. I went through hell on the ES335 due to defects, the J200 was a search too but the Les Paul R0 and the Songwriter Deluxe were spot on upon delivery.
    With that, I am not mad at Guild perse' since gumball Gibson has QC issues all the time (but when you get a good one you cannot beat it) and I dealt with it, but rather I am more upset that Guild may wreck the iconic brand name by choosing to accept poor QC (not where it is made)

Your experience does not seem to be typical re: Newark Street guitars.

I'd probably let Guild provide the replacement instrument. You paid for a warranty, might as well use it.

Hopefully Guild will use what they learn from your third guitar, to improve their QC in the future.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

--geoguy

You may be right but I am pretty sure it is typical ( or at least with the current year) since I got 3 stinkers from different vendors. The 2 VI's were 1k+ serial numbers away from each other and the CE100-D a completely different model.
    I really think most people tend to ignore things or do not even find them or accept them (like the crazy Gibson zealots I spoke of earlier). Personally, I do not think there is an excuse for a Guitar with a street price of $1499 to have flaws like the ones I had.

Anyone can go check any Yamaha guitar from their $139 to their $2k models and they all are great because Yamaha manages the manufacturing onsite which is key. I will however try again not to far in the distant future but I will wait to Sweetwater gets the one I want and posts hi-rez pics so I have a fighting chance. In the meantime, I am on the outlook for a USA made Guild.. You guys got me hooked.

Hey there, Sitedrifter --

I'm just catching up on your situation and the horrible luck with the NS Guilds. I wholeheartedly agree with the gang here about finding a nice Westerly or Corona example. As I mentioned before, the hunt is half the fun, and I'll happily keep my eyes peeled for a beauty. Until then, I hope the Guild folks come through and send you a nice NS SF V or VI.

Fingers crossed, yet again!
    1959 T-100 DP
    1968 CE-100 DP
    1976 BluesBird M-75

Some interesting guitars at used Guitarcenter. I feel stirrings of GAS pains. :-(

Also, NS Guilds appear to be available there???
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan
    "8 of 18", "19 of 22", "25 of 25" (and a couple of amps)

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders. "

Some Starfire 4s in your pricerange...
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan
    "8 of 18", "19 of 22", "25 of 25" (and a couple of amps)

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders. "

Man. I really hope someone in Oxnard is lighting up the phone lines to these dealers or their factory in Korea over this trend ! Has anything changed since Cordoba bought the brand in how fast these guitars are cranked out ? Have they told their dealers to NOT return guitars that have "cosmetic" issues to keep them on the shelf while the next batch came out of the supply pipeline ?

I'm not happy about it, and I'm not the one shopping ! My NS X-175B has no flaws that I am aware of. It's a few years old.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55
    2016 Guild NS X175 Sunburst

John, Cordoba has stepped up to the plate and asked to help. So if no one returns a guitar for a warranty issue, then it goes back to the dealer. So people return guitars to the dealer and they do .... whatever they do. Try to pawn it off on someone else who won't notice these issues. If the dealers AND the customers don't take them up on their warranty or their quality, then they're not going to respond. I'm sure they're paying attention. At least I hope they are. And from what Sitedrifter has said, they've offered to step up to the plate. But so far, no one has engaged them, so.... what can they do?

When I got my first Washburn EA-20, it came with a huge dip in the fretboard between 9th and 12th frets. It was awful. So I took it back to the dealer, they sent it back to Washburn and then they send me another one, which I still have to this day. So to hold a company accountable, you have to ALLOW them to do their thing and make good on the quality of the guitar. So far that hasn't happened. The dealer is the one held accountable. Not saying that's wrong, but what will the dealer do? And how will that effect Cordoba in the long run?

Just some stuff I'm thinking......
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    And from what Sitedrifter has said, they've offered to step up to the plate. But so far, no one has engaged them, so.... what can they do?
    They can Quit letting guitars with "Issues" Ship out for sale and fix them before they ever leave the factory. Just a suggestion. I know it is impossible to catch everything but some of the stuff we have been talking about lately are pretty obvious defects. Either that or get some new spectacles for the QC person!

The Starfire VI even though being Korean Made is what I would call the Flagship Guild of the Newark Street Line. You are really going to send those out with a crooked Guild Logo on the headstock and an Off Centered wood lamination of the back of the Neck? Come on man!

TX
    Last edited by txbumper57; 01-08-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 1976 G41, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284, 1993 JF100-NT-CRV
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Ann. Brz RW#10 of 50, 2003 X160 R.B., 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2010 D55 Burst, 2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph 12 Fret Slope, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2014 Orph 000 12 fret SH MH, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2013 F50R-DTAR, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia