Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Preferred String Winder - Best String Winder

What is Your Preferred String Winder - Best String Winder

I am going to get a string winder. Any advice is appreciated.

I have only one winder - the Planet Waves Pro Winder. Changed strings on two guitars this weekend, including 12-string slothead, and I found it quite fiddly as it did not stick well to the tuner knobs. So I ended up turning a lot of the knobs by hand without tool. It also squeaked like hell when I turned it fast to loosen the strings. If I read about a better tool here I might go for it.

I have several.

I don't like this one (this is a Dunlop, but I've seen the same winder from different companies):

I don't like it because if I don't pay attention or am in a hurry, it smacks the side of the headstock and leaves marks. Particularly a problem with headstocks shaped like my DV6:

I have one of these, too, and it seems to work a little better, and I don't have to keep reaching for the wire cutters to cut off string excess after I get it wound on:

YMMV.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (mom & dad)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street Music)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - now with a nephew)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, ex-Qvart)
    '92 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, ex-Neal)
    '94 D-6 (CL find)
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Jeffcoop,)
    GAD-30 NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Geoguy - now with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger)
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75 (why not?)

Quote Originally Posted by gjmalcyon View Post
    I have one of these, too, and it seems to work a little better, and I don't have to keep reaching for the wire cutters to cut off string excess after I get it wound on:

YMMV.

I have this one - works fine, the wire cutters attached makes it very handy!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    1998 Guild Bluesbird AAA

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I have this one - works fine, the wire cutters attached makes it very handy!

walrus
    That is the the Planet Waves Pro Winder that I was also referring to, maybe I just need more practice with it.

I have one like the Planet Waves unit pictured above. It works ok (the winding part wobbles a bit on small tuner buttons).

And I hereby offer a third "thumbs-up" re: the wire cutter. Better than diagonal cutters, imo, because it encloses the string with two semi-circle-shaped cutting notches.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

I use a four volt Ryobi cordless screw gun from Home Depot, and the bit from Stewmac. Changes strings in record time!
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

I'm with Sandy..... it's all about the POWER!! I bought the Ernie Ball Power Peg. Fits in my hand easily and works on all knobs so far. Makes restringing a BREEZE!!

I never restring without wire nippers and needle nose pliers. Cut the strings to length, put a little bend in them to get them started and wind away!!
    Last edited by davismanLV; 01-03-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    I'm with Sandy..... it's all about the POWER!! I bought the Ernie Ball Power Peg. Fits in my hand easily and works on all knobs so far. Makes restringing a BREEZE!!

I never restring without wire nippers and needle nose pliers. Cut the strings to length, put a little bend in them to get them started and wind away!!
    Hmmm....I can always use another power tool .....

Whaddaya think about those Red strings? I got them for stupid cheap as a closeout at the local GC, tried them (can't remember which guitar), and didn't like 'em. I cannot remember (at least not yet) what I didn't like, but I'm fairly certain they came off early.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (mom & dad)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street Music)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - now with a nephew)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, ex-Qvart)
    '92 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, ex-Neal)
    '94 D-6 (CL find)
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Jeffcoop,)
    GAD-30 NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Geoguy - now with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger)
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75 (why not?)

When I bought my first guitar (a Gibson J45) in 1970, I also purchased a Dunlop winder and a small pair of nippers for cutting off the string ends. I still use these same two items and see no need to change.
    I have small cordless drills for woodworking but I enjoy connecting with my guitars when I change strings. I generally put on some music and pour a small glass of ____ while I change strings, and it's an enjoyable process.
    I'm not a purist or elitist when it comes to string winders and this setup has worked for almost 47 years, so I'll probably stick with it.

Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6