What is Your Preferred String Winder - Best String Winder

AoxoA

Reaction score
I am going to get a string winder. Any advice is appreciated.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I have only one winder - the Planet Waves Pro Winder. Changed strings on two guitars this weekend, including 12-string slothead, and I found it quite fiddly as it did not stick well to the tuner knobs. So I ended up turning a lot of the knobs by hand without tool. It also squeaked like hell when I turned it fast to loosen the strings. If I read about a better tool here I might go for it.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have several.

I don't like this one (this is a Dunlop, but I've seen the same winder from different companies):

I don't like it because if I don't pay attention or am in a hurry, it smacks the side of the headstock and leaves marks. Particularly a problem with headstocks shaped like my DV6:

I have one of these, too, and it seems to work a little better, and I don't have to keep reaching for the wire cutters to cut off string excess after I get it wound on:

YMMV.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have one of these, too, and it seems to work a little better, and I don't have to keep reaching for the wire cutters to cut off string excess after I get it wound on:

YMMV.

I have this one - works fine, the wire cutters attached makes it very handy!

walrus

geoguy

Reaction score
I have one like the Planet Waves unit pictured above. It works ok (the winding part wobbles a bit on small tuner buttons).

And I hereby offer a third "thumbs-up" re: the wire cutter. Better than diagonal cutters, imo, because it encloses the string with two semi-circle-shaped cutting notches.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with Sandy..... it's all about the POWER!! I bought the Ernie Ball Power Peg. Fits in my hand easily and works on all knobs so far. Makes restringing a BREEZE!!

k6B9nT.jpg

I never restring without wire nippers and needle nose pliers. Cut the strings to length, put a little bend in them to get them started and wind away!!

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with Sandy..... it's all about the POWER!! I bought the Ernie Ball Power Peg. Fits in my hand easily and works on all knobs so far. Makes restringing a BREEZE!!

k6B9nT.jpg

I never restring without wire nippers and needle nose pliers. Cut the strings to length, put a little bend in them to get them started and wind away!!

Hmmm....I can always use another power tool .....

Whaddaya think about those Red strings? I got them for stupid cheap as a closeout at the local GC, tried them (can't remember which guitar), and didn't like 'em. I cannot remember (at least not yet) what I didn't like, but I'm fairly certain they came off early.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When I bought my first guitar (a Gibson J45) in 1970, I also purchased a Dunlop winder and a small pair of nippers for cutting off the string ends. I still use these same two items and see no need to change.
I have small cordless drills for woodworking but I enjoy connecting with my guitars when I change strings. I generally put on some music and pour a small glass of ____ while I change strings, and it's an enjoyable process.
I'm not a purist or elitist when it comes to string winders and this setup has worked for almost 47 years, so I'll probably stick with it.
:peaceful:

Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Actually, yes, mine does squeak! I have an older version of the same thing, with a round handle, and that one never made a sound!

walrus

Neal

Reaction score
I use my fingers.

I marked up a headstock once with a string winder and vowed never to let it happen again.

I enjoy the Zen of a string change, including the hand-winding.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whaddaya think about those Red strings? I got them for stupid cheap as a closeout at the local GC, tried them (can't remember which guitar), and didn't like 'em. I cannot remember (at least not yet) what I didn't like, but I'm fairly certain they came off early.
Mine came off early as well. I'd read a great review or some PR about them and gave them a try. The G string was DEAD as hell and the rest of them didn't sound that great. Sounds like we had the same experience. I checked them off my list permanently.......

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's what I use:
ToolsChangingStrings.jpg

The only thing I use the winder for is pulling the pins.

Edit: I think the drill bit is from d'addario, the pegwinder is from Dunlop.

Markus :smile:

Last edited: