Starfire XII

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here and would like to share my starfire xii in sunburst.
2iZrNCR

I recently acquired it and I'm still getting used to to feel of a 12 string.
It came with a case which I think is original.
The guild guitar book dates it as a 1966 if I remember correctly.
If somebody can tell me more about this guitar I would be very exited to know.

The guitar is in nice condition considering its age but in a few spots the binding is letting loose and the bridge is on it's lowest point with still quite high action, is there a fix for this?

Greetings from the Netherlands

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Guilty! Beautiful Starfire XII. You're in luck, THE Guild expert is right in your backyard. Hans Moust, who wrote the book on Guild,mean tell you everything you'd want to know. You can best contact him through his website http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Guilty, First let me say Welcome to LTG and what a beautiful 12 string! I am sure others will be along shortly with more info on your guitar. The action/bridge height/String Height issues you are mentioning are all signs that a Neck Reset is in your future. This is a result of 12 strings pulling on that neck since 1966. Granted it is major surgery but after a neck reset is performed by a competent Luthier she will play like new for the next 40 years. Look forward to hearing more and post some photos of the action and the bridge height so we can see exactly what is going on with it. Have a good one!

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice Strymon Blue Sky reverb pedal!! welcome to LTG!

Reaction score
Hey Guilty, First let me say Welcome to LTG and what a beautiful 12 string! I am sure others will be along shortly with more info on your guitar. The action/bridge height/String Height issues you are mentioning are all signs that a Neck Reset is in your future. This is a result of 12 strings pulling on that neck since 1966. Granted it is major surgery but after a neck reset is performed by a competent Luthier she will play like new for the next 40 years. Look forward to hearing more and post some photos of the action and the bridge height so we can see exactly what is going on with it. Have a good one!

TX

Thank you for the warm welcome,
The guitar sat untouched in it's case for at least two years before I bought it last month, since i've put new strings on it and lowered the tuning from E to D.
IMG_20161128_141827527.jpg

IMG_20161128_141803617_HDR.jpg

Neal

Reaction score
Wow, what a beautiful Hoboken 12-string.

Your post got me to thinking. When did Guild produce its first 12-string, either acoustic or electric?

Reaction score
Besides the super cool 12 string I also heartily approve of your amp choice. :)

-Dave-

Thanks man, It's a killer amp. It's apparently some kind of prototype it doesn't have independent masters but instead a 'comp drive' and one master.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a beautiful Hoboken 12-string.

Your post got me to thinking. When did Guild produce its first 12-string, either acoustic or electric?

Pretty sure Hans dated the F212 introduction at '64, in time for the Yardbirds to use it on "Heart Full of soul", can't remember if that was their first 12-er though, and can't recall seeing a Starfire 12-er dated before '66.
In fact, thinking about it, that may be why Mark Dronge's gift of an SF-XII to the Beatles was in '66, seem to recall it was a brand new offering at the time.
I know the answers are in Hans' book, I just don't have it here.
Oh yeah, welcome aboard, Guilty!

Reaction score
What is the width of the nut?
I finally found time to measure the nut width. It's 43mm or 1.69 inch at the 12th fret it's 52 mm or 2.04 inch
If more measurements are interesting please let me know.