Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dave Schools:

fiCs3T.jpg

Dave Dreiwitz:

6NwZHT.jpg

mellowgerman

Reaction score
One day I will own two Alembic basses, so I can put one in a stand to look at while playing the other one.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
One day I will own two Alembic basses, so I can put one in a stand to look at while playing the other one.

And you will have stories that you can barely remember - like the time you nicked one on the heat sink of a Crown power amp.

(This is bait, since I am alluding to another LTGer's story).

While I can certainly have Alembic GAS, in the same way I am interested in cars that are capable of speeds I would be too scared to drive at, I am actually quite content with a '67 Starfire I and my Betts Bass. Both are instruments with potential I have yet to achieve ;-)

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
And you will have stories that you can barely remember - like the time you nicked one on the heat sink of a Crown power amp.

(This is bait, since I am alluding to another LTGer's story).
!!!!!!!

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
7k-20k$US for a new bass?!?!
Why so expensive?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Why so expensive?

i think the woods are super exotic and expensive. a lot of the species they use, id never specifically heard of before. theres also complex electronics and wiring etc. there is of course endless labor in something like the Schools' bass im sure, and an aspect of artwork/limited number of pieces as well. they are obviously handmade! Phils bass and anything like it sound crazy.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why so expensive?

Lots of reasons. You might want to check out the history and achievements of Alembic. They have a history of innovation and it could be argued that they moved the electric bass from a modified guitar to an instrument in its own right. The brand mystique and the popular opinion that Alembic made (makes?) the best "production" bass guitars in the world certainly contribute to what people will pay. You have exotic woods, custom electronics and better than average quality control. If the concept of a "luxury brand" makes sense to basses Alembic is it.

The other point is "expensive". While there are many players that would have to save up for years to get that price, there are a lot of players who have been making six figures (US) for a decade or so (usually not by playing bass professionally) and those people can easily afford a $10K instrument if that is how they choose to spend their money.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The other point is "expensive". While there are many players that would have to save up for years to get that price, there are a lot of players who have been making six figures (US) for a decade or so (usually not by playing bass professionally) and those people can easily afford a $10K instrument if that is how they choose to spend their money.

Dave Schools and Phil Lesh can both pay for those basses after half a gig on a good night, thats about 60-90 minutes of music, and im talking about the higher end models (as pictured)