New "T-bird" models coming

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are a couple of simplified "T-Bird" NS models coming with no vibrato, no switching options in two new colors. Basically, they have the T-Bird shape, but that's about it. Call them Jetstars, or S-100s, but they are not Thunderbird S-200s, in my eye.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_med...MM&utm_term=0_233188518b-48c28f5a0c-241036817

https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_ter...ForNAMM&v=CmlHSZcwrsE&utm_source=Guild+E-News

(I've also given up on Oxnard's pointless renaming/renumbering scheme. They are now advertising the M-40 as Troubadours, rather than the historical F-20 Troubadours.)

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
IMO this revised "S-200" is more deserving of the Polara name than the current S-100. Glad to see it just the same, though.

-Dave-

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I like the P90's, I like the simplified controls, love the white finish, like the idea of no vibrato, don't like the very "Gibson" stop tail, and that color blue is hideous.

merlin6666

Reaction score
(I've also given up on Oxnard's pointless renaming/renumbering scheme. They are now advertising the M-40 as Troubadours, rather than the historical F-20 Troubadours.)

I think in new terminology the M refers to the size and is their smallest (concert), whereas historically the "20" would designate the smallest size whereas now it stands for "all mahogany". So in that respect there could be similarities. I am wondering about the pickguard of the M-sized guitars which look like the Orpheum PGs. Has this PG shape been used on the older smaller sizes as well?

http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/guild-acoustic-naming-structure.pdf

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The white finish is sweet!

+1 on the demos not being that impressive...

walrus

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
This is a shame. I fully intended on getting the white version when it came out, but the stripped down version doesn't appeal to me.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would have liked to see the full monty version in white too. In fact, I don't think I'd fully be able to resist that.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think in new terminology the M refers to the size and is their smallest (concert), whereas historically the "20" would designate the smallest size whereas now it stands for "all mahogany". So in that respect there could be similarities.
Yes, there will be:
"M" for body size, "40" for 'hog body with spruce top.
"20" now means hog body hog top as you mentioned.
"50" means rosewood with spruce top and "D" still means Dreadnought so iconic D40 also fits in the scheme: "D"readnought, 'hog body/spruce top..

I am wondering about the pickguard of the M-sized guitars which look like the Orpheum PGs. Has this PG shape been used on the older smaller sizes as well?
Yes, on very early M & F20's, have even seen a slightly larger version on D25's looking more like a truncated version of the "regular" shape.
Must admit I always liked their distinctive pickguard shape reflecting the bout curves, very harmonious design....

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, there will be:
"M" for body size, "40" for 'hog body with spruce top.
"20" now means hog body hog top as you mentioned.
"50" means rosewood with spruce top and "D" still means Dreadnought so iconic D40 also fits in the scheme: "D"readnought, 'hog body/spruce top..
I know we've seen the conversion charts; but the fact that they felt the need to completely change a long established naming protocol still pisses me off, and always will. Think how long Martin has used their model style/shape/size convention. You know exactly what you have just from the name, without needing a secret decoder ring.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know we've seen the conversion charts; but the fact that they felt the need to completely change a long established naming protocol still pisses me off, and always will. Think how long Martin has used their model style/shape/size convention. You know exactly what you have just from the name, without needing a secret decoder ring.

Yeah but Guild just used to change the specs without changing the model name...(only offered in the spirit of humor!)
Have a great New Year holiday sir!
:friendly_wink:

Zelja

Reaction score
This is a shame. I fully intended on getting the white version when it came out, but the stripped down version doesn't appeal to me.

I would have liked to see the full monty version in white too. In fact, I don't think I'd fully be able to resist that.
Totally agree with these 2 esteemed gentlemen.

Give me white but with all the trimmings!!

DrumBob

Reaction score
I think you guys are being a bit harsh about these new T-Birds. It looks great in white, and I don't mind the simplified electronics at all. The blue is meh, but the P90s sound nice, and I think they're probably listening to players who complained about the intricate switching on the first reissues. I'd like to see one of these guitars in Candy Apple Red, or at least a cherry finish like the old ones.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think you guys are being a bit harsh about these new T-Birds. It looks great in white, and I don't mind the simplified electronics at all. The blue is meh, but the P90s sound nice, and I think they're probably listening to players who complained about the intricate switching on the first reissues. I'd like to see one of these guitars in Candy Apple Red, or at least a cherry finish like the old ones.
My big beef with these new models is simply that they are not Thunderbirds. I'm fine with the simplified electronics, but that changes a lot of what makes the T-Bird a T-Bird. In the '70s there was the S-100 and the S-90. The only differences was that the S-90 only had 2 knobs (with simplified switching options) and a different bridge setup. I have an S-90 and love it, but I will never claim that its an S-100. Those changes make it a different animal, albeit related.
If they want to call a T-Bird Jr. or something, that's fine; but one of the key elements to a true Thunderbird is its unique electronics.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I wouldn't get so hung up on the name. It's the body shape that's the dominant feature with these guitars. Let's face it; nothing else is shaped the same way.

griehund

Reaction score
OK I'm confused. I thought "Full Monty" meant totally stripped, like in the movie. :shocked:

Maxer

Reaction score

Yeah, would love a trans-cherry finish. I quite like them otherwise. Love that body shape and really don't mind the hardtail aspect.

matsickma

Reaction score
I had picked up a used Pure Salem Tomcat "Thunderbird" with P90's and hard stop years ago which is similar ti the new Tbird. It was a little thucjer than a stick Thunderbird but a nice playing guitar. What I don't get us why P-90's and not Fratz?! If or when I pick one up the P90's are being replaced with Franz pups!