New "T-bird" models coming

DrumBob

Reaction score
The Jetstar basses, the Dearmond Jetstars.

Both out of production, right?

The Pure Salem copy is just that; a copy, and not a very good quality one either, and over a grand with a bolt-on neck! They sent me one to review. I gave it a better write-up than it deserved and regret it. It actually played like crap and would have been OK if it had been set up properly before it was shipped. I don't understand why companies send out review guitars in poor condition. That just doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'll say it again; The main thing about the S-200 is the body shape, not the electronics. It's the body shape you notice first, and that's why it makes sense to call it a T-Bird. Maybe call the new ones S-200S for "simplified."

Last edited:

DrumBob

Reaction score
Yeah, would love a trans-cherry finish. I quite like them otherwise. Love that body shape and really don't mind the hardtail aspect.

I would like to see more color choices in general, in fact, why can't Cordoba offer at least six to eight choices: Fiesta Red, Burgundy Mist, Daphne Blue, Inca Silver, Shoreline Gold, Foam Green and even Zal Yanovsky Purple, etc. How about a light relic model too.

Maxer

Reaction score
Maybe they want to see if they'll sell in reasonable quantities first. Colours can be a tricky thing. They don't all sell equally well and it can be tough to predict what numbers they'll move in. Although it makes me wonder: how much more expensive is it to introduce 6-8 different finishes (rather than just one or two) in a given product line?

matsickma

Reaction score
The irigional Tomcat had a setneck and the quality was pretty good and better than the DeArmond Jetstar. The neck was not as chunky as the DeArmond but wider than a Thunderbird. I picked mine up on ebay for $400 so guess I did ok. I'm not crazy about a master tone control layout but with single coils I can handle it. Love the feel of a Thunderbird body.
M

DThomasC

Reaction score
The mice thing about releasing them in too many colors is that they blow out the unpopular ones after a while. (Gold Top Aristocrats were selling for $600.)

As far as the name goes, they do call it the T-Bird ST, and so far they have not called it an S-200. If they call it an S-190 will everyone be happy?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't understand why they don't go with Franzes. Crap load of hum with p90 demo.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You know, I think they *are* Franzes. Look at the lone screw in between the D and G polepieces. That's how a Franz pickup cover mounts.

matsickma

Reaction score
Good catch Walter! If true now we are getting a true Guild origional. A Guildsby on a Franz pup Tbird guitar would be perfect!
M

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Both out of production, right?

I'll say it again; The main thing about the S-200 is the body shape, not the electronics. It's the body shape you notice first, and that's why it makes sense to call it a T-Bird. Maybe call the new ones S-200S for "simplified."

100% with you. Try selling the T-Bird, with all the knobs & switches and the quirky shape. It's no walk in the park.

I wonder how many LTGers have bought new T-Birds.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I think it's correct to say that what we're calling Franz pickups are not made by Franz anymore. If I'm not mistaken, the company that made Franz is long out of business.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think it's correct to say that what we're calling Franz pickups are not made by Franz anymore. If I'm not mistaken, the company that made Franz is long out of business.
Of course. I don't think any of the original companies or anyone having to do with them are still involved with the various brand names involved with Guild - Guild itself, Franz, DeArmond, or Hagström. Well...maybe Hagström (?), but they have their stuff made in Korea and/or China so the point is moot.

matsickma

Reaction score
I picked up a burst Thunderbird on eBay when they just started getting listed. Reissued Hagstrom vibrato gave some fits and I am considering installing a vintage one.
I got a coupon and discount from GC on a new black one that will be delivered tomorrow. That one is getting a set of DeArmond pups installed in place of mini humbuckers.For those who recall the very original Guild marketing release for the Thunderbird...it had the body shape of the S-100 Polara but had block neck inlays and DeArmond pickups. Somewhere between the initial info release and the actual release the Gumby body shape, Jaguar controls and mini humbuckers were added. It with that in mind that I am installing the DeArmonds. I really like the feel of a Thunderbird and look of the body shape since the first time I saw one in grade school. I thing Thunderbirds cost around $400 back in 1963. In todays $ that's probably $4000!
M

M

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've played a couple '60s T-birds. One of the things that stood out to me with both was the Hagstrom wiggler: it went out of tune easily. So I'm not sure a vintage unit will be any more reliable than the current ones.

The body shape is the T-bird's best feature IMO. Even if you think it looks weird, just pick one up and play it. For me it's about the most well-balanced and comfortable solidbody around.

I like the idea of getting a second T-bird and doing some pickup experimenting. I just snagged a second Jazzmaster, another well-balanced and comfy guitar, for this purpose.

[Edit: actually someone beat me to the Jazzmaster…drat! But T-bird #2 is back in play. White would be nice…]

-Dave-

Last edited:

DThomasC

Reaction score
As for the Franz reproductions, I think I'd really rather have ordinary soapbar P-90s in a T-Bird. I like the Franzs in my Aristocrat and have no strong desire to swap them out (though I am curious...), but I know there are some phenomenal P-90s available. I think if I were to buy one of the new T-Bird STs with Franzes I would probably end up routing to accept a P-90.

DrumBob

Reaction score
matsickma...What are your plans for the mini humbuckers? I might be interested in taking them off your hands. I love this pickups.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi DrumBob,

I didn't give it much thought about the future use of the mini hb pups once they are pulled out of a MIK Thunderbird. Since these pickups won't have mounting rings mounting them to a guitar will have some issues.

Are mini hb pickup mounting rings available?

M