1964 Guild Starfire pricing

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a little question:

I'm considering buying a 1964 Guild Starfire (double cutaway without Bigsby) which has a non original stoptail piece and lacks the pickguard.
The rest is normally all original (case, pickups, knobs, etc)
I'm by no means a collector so I don't mind the stoptail that much, though I'd rather have the pickguard (looks better imo)

The colour is a sunburst a bit like this one:
http://shop.guitarpoint.de/media/images/popup/Guild72SFIVSB61531_18.jpg

The guitar has not much wear on it asides from the usual chips and dings.

Also, this is Europe, and I don't see old Guild popping up very often.

So, how much would you say is about right for such a guitar? (in euro if possible ^^)

Thanks in advance,

Blinghit

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a little question:

How much would you pay for a Sunburst Starfire from 1964, missing the pickguard and with a stoptail piece (not original i guess)?

There's one, not too far from me and since I was blown away by a 1972 Guild Starfire, I want one but am not sure if the price is right.
(because of the missing parts / mod)

It's a double cutaway with a sunburst like this one:
http://shop.guitarpoint.de/media/images/popup/Guild72SFIVSB61531_18.jpg

comes with original case, pickups, etc

Belonged to the deceased brother of the seller, who doesn't play guitar and was dated by a luthier named Hans Moust (?)
The state is good considering its age, nothing serious (apparently) aside from some chippings on the finish.

Thanks in advance :)

Blinghit

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I did not merge the duplicate posts because only one mentions member Hans Moust :) The first five or so posts by new members have to be moderated.

I won't offer an opinion because mine would be uninformed. I will suggest that some vintage Guilds that are already in Europe have commanded higher prices than instruments in the USA.

gilded

Reaction score
I agree with frono and would likewise say that our European members would have a better feel for the market.

One thing is that no one can tell from your description whether the stop tailpiece mod was done well or poorly, with appropriate parts or cheesy parts, so it's hard to value your guitar.

Pictures would help, but the pics have to be hosted somewhere else, like Photobucket. If you don't want to use a host site, ask one of the members here to post them for you. The way to do it would be to 'click' on some one's name, which will open up a path to contact them via Private Message. Click on the private message part and send them your email address. They will in turn send you their address and ask for the pics you have. When you send them the pics, they can post them on this forum for you.

I can do it for you, but I won't be able to do it from for about five hours from now. By the way, I have no interest in poaching your guitar from you!! :)

Finally, I would not suggest putting your email address on an open thread. Things can happen on the internet and you may get spammed to death.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hey and thanks for merging the 2 thread together, I was wondering why it didnt upload directly and now i have the answer :)

I also agree, that since the market are different in the USA and Europe, it would be a different story :)

It's cool that Hans Moust is a member here, the seller mentionned him in one of the emails he sent me, maybe he remembers
that particular guitar, and that would obviously be firsthand informations :)

The pictures from the sellers aren't exactly stellar but he seems nice and honest, but he doesn't play guitar so
he might not an eye for some important details, i guess.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll go and check it out in real sometime soon, I'll ask him some more pictures before though.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First off I see this is your first post so let me say Welcome to LTG! Lots of great folks here with Great info. You mentioned Luthier Hans Moust who is the definitive Authority on all things Guild and a Member here as well. You may want to check out his book, "The Guild Guitar Book: The Company and the Instruments, 1952-1977". I would agree with the previous posts about the European market being completely different than the American market due to the ready availability of Guilds here in the USA. Normally Guitars in the European market bring more of a premium due to there being less of them over there in the first place. As far as condition it is very hard to tell without seeing detailed pictures of the front, Back, side views, any repairs or mods, etc... Until you can get some photos posted I don't think anyone can give you an accurate idea of condition and value.

TX

Last edited:
Reaction score
And a last question for now, would new modern replacement pickguard fit on an older model like 60's Starfire?

Blinghit

trimbo

Reaction score
Hi- I'm based in the UK and my experience has been that generally people aren't that aware of Guild electrics so they can be a bargain. I have a 67 starfire v in white that cost me £1100 from a music shop in London and it had sat there for a while. The guitar has some honest play wear but ran rings around my Gibson R8 which I sold soon afterwards. Hans told me it's the only white sf v he knows of.

A friend also has a great condition 66 cherry sf iv that was £750 a year back. Right place, right time I guess.

Going off topic but we had a jam with a 65 sg standard and the cherry 66 sf iv through a champ clone. With a bit of work on the controls the sf could get uncannily close to the sgs sound. Considering how different the guitars are this surprised us. These old starfires can be absolute tone monsters.

Reaction score
As i've explained to Tx by pm, the deal felt through because it seems from the informations Hans Moust gave me, that the guitar had a repair.
Apparently it was well done but I don't wanna take any risk. His asking price was 1600euros (roughly 1680USD, 1350 pounds) which was too high
for me with or without the repairing.

I'll be on the lookout for another one though, so I might come and ask some questions here and there :)

Thanks for everything and a happy new year!

Blinghit

Edit: here's the link, should someone be interested, it's in the Netherlands:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-...51fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr&pos=14