Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake S-100 keeps getting faker?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    Actually, early S-100's had that more angular control cavity shape, which just makes this more mysterious.
    I said "if" because I didn't have an early '70's sample to reference, but others confirmed the more angular shape earlier in the thread.
    Guildless. :(

I am with you Brynot, I have never reset a neck either but I think this may be a perfect opportunity. You don't really have anything to lose.
    Good luck John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynot View Post
    So my next question for all of you Guild masters is what would you do to fix the neck. I've never even replaced any hardware other than pickups. I'm certainly no luther.
    So what part of Virginia? Folks might have some recommendations is you need help or want to farm the job out.

As for what - I'd say at this point anything you can do to make it useful and playable would be A Good Thing. To the extent that you can preserve it's Guild ancestry, that's a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Everyone has gotten me thinking. Originally, once I found out the neck just can't be properly adjusted, I thought I'd part this thing out to get some money back. However, after all of this debate, I realize I have a pretty unique guitar. Even if it's part homemade/ part factory, and regardless of who made it, it may be way cooler to make it playable. Reset the neck, maybe add wood under the fretboard at the joint in order to correct it? Perhaps that's why fate landed it in my hands? I also feel like this ugly duckling has gone on for decades - who am I to end its life? Yes, it's an anamorphic fallacy but I think we all look at our guitars as living beings. It's like I've adopted some stray mutt that can either be euthanized or washed up, shaved, dewormed, given love and played with.
    So my next question for all of you Guild masters is what would you do to fix the neck. I've never even replaced any hardware other than pickups. I'm certainly no luther.
    That's the spirit.
    I must say you may have the most popular guitar on this board right now! Guild or not. Or half.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

That might be your only option to salvage anything from this (unless you like playing slide). I have no idea what a neck reset would involve, but if it's anything like Guild acoustics it could be a PITA. However, if you take the neck off and insert a shim of some sort it might raise the fret board so much that the neck would be even more out of line with the body at the back of the joint, and may not be able to be reset at all without modification of the joint where they meet. I'm totally guessing here. I have no real knowledge of what it would involve. Another solution - perhaps - would be to try to sink the tailpiece, bridge, and pickups lower into the body (although I have no idea if that's feasible).
    Last edited by Qvart; 01-07-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Guildless. :(

I'm sure no one has been holding their breath over this, but here's the reply I got back after sending the seller a very kind message asking for any info he may have.

"The man I got it from is dead . But he told me he got it from a guy who worked for the guilds Co."

So, yeah, not going to find out anything on that end.

I'm sure no one has been holding their breath over this
    I kinda was actually.... thanks for the update, even if not of a nature to break the mystery.

So it's like the Templars' Holy Grail I guess... we can keep speculating for centuries to come! (except we have it in front if us)
    Last edited by bluesypicky; 01-10-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    I kinda was actually.... thanks for the update, even if not of a nature to break the mystery.

So it's like the Templars' Holy Grail I guess... we can keep speculating for centuries to come!
    Ha! I know. I've read enough Dan Brown. I need answers!

Ha! I know. I've read enough Dan Brown. I need answers!
    Try "Holy Blood Holy Grail" written in the late 70's by Baigent, Leigh & Lincoln (after which Brown's book is heavily inspired).
    It won't give you answers about your guitar, but very interesting read!
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

"The man I got it from is dead . But he told me he got it from a guy who worked for the guilds Co."
    Like I said:
    "From tiny kernels of truth, mighty myths are grown".
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!