Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake S-100 keeps getting faker?

QV, just noticed your sig... so sorry you're Guildless now. :( Hope everything works out for you.

Seems we all agree that hte body is probably not original. I was thinking that maybe whoever built it used the oritiginal mahogany to make the two "wings" that currently surround the center of the body. The center looks like a slab of tiger maple to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcellis
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    Seems we all agree that hte body is probably not original. I was thinking that maybe whoever built it used the oritiginal mahogany to make the two "wings" that currently surround the center of the body. The center looks like a slab of tiger maple to me.
    I was thinking that might be a possibility. Also, there's finish checking. I wonder what kind of do-it-yourselfer would spray nitro.
    Guildless. :(

I'm thinking Guild neck, HB1 pickup, and a supportive shop class teacher.
    S100s: [ 1997 red ]
    S300s: [ 1981 ]
    X170s: [ 1994 SB ]
    X500s: [2001 P90-T]
    Starfires: [ III-90 2002 'burst | IV 1998 blond | IV 2000 blond ]
    Bluesbirds: [ 1997 red | 2016 Iced Tea ]
    Nightbirds: [ GG 1986 Flamed 'burst | 1988ish curly lava-burst ]
    Non-Guilds: [ Meh ]

My Blogs: GADsGuilds.com | Blog | Cozy Tales

If it sets up and plays well it might not be a bad project. Those HB-1s are worth $330 alone.

I've seen much worse woodworkmanship.
    1958 T-100, 1964 S-50, 1976 S-300 (bolt-on neck), 1977 D-25, 1977 S-300, 1979 S-300A, 1983 S-25, 1987 Nightbird (spruce top), 1988 D-15, 2001 Blues90, 2002 Bluesbird P90, 2014 Aristocrat

Quote Originally Posted by DThomasC View Post
    If it sets up and plays well it might not be a bad project. Those HB-1s are worth $330 alone.

I've seen much worse woodworkmanship.
    Well, one pickup might fetch $100-$150.

And yes, if plays ok then rock it. But the action would probably be better if the neck was joined to a body it belonged to. Like I said in my previous comment, the neck is sunk too low which means higher action than it should have.

He's got a Porsche for sale, too.

When I worked at Guild, I can tell you all that we did one-off guitars as prototypes that were occasionally blown out the door cheap by a guy like Bob Bromberg who'd schmooze one of his favored dealers into buying it for very little. Neil Lilien was usually looking for something new and exciting and had the guys in Westerly working on new things most of the time. I have a hunch this guitar is either a one-off shop project or a homemade body with Guild neck and electronics. Maybe the body had been trashed at one time.
    Former Guild employee and proud owner of an '82 F-30 acoustic, a '16 S-200 and a '15 Starfire IV.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
    When I worked at Guild, I can tell you all that we did one-off guitars as prototypes that were occasionally blown out the door cheap by a guy like Bob Bromberg who'd schmooze one of his favored dealers into buying it for very little. Neil Lilien was usually looking for something new and exciting and had the guys in Westerly working on new things most of the time. I have a hunch this guitar is either a one-off shop project or a homemade body with Guild neck and electronics. Maybe the body had been trashed at one time.
    If it was a one-off I'd imagine it would be put together better than it is. Check the neck joint. It's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Qvart View Post
    If it was a one-off I'd imagine it would be put together better than it is. Check the neck joint. It's awful.
    You can't be certain about that, because the guys in Westerly were often changing specs on the guitars, trying new things. I used to see weird stuff that was sent down from RI that surprised me, and when I asked about it, was told that the guys in Westerly were trying experimental changes to some of the models. I saw a few really rough looking prototypes that hadn't been refined. I will say that Guild was a company that never rested on its laurels. They were always trying to come up with something new. There was so much negativity about the S series solidbodies at the time. The salesmen couldn't sell them and were complaining, so management was searching for a better design that would sell. I did a lot of R&D work on the M-80, for instance.
    Last edited by DrumBob; 01-01-2017 at 03:26 AM.
    Former Guild employee and proud owner of an '82 F-30 acoustic, a '16 S-200 and a '15 Starfire IV.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
    You can't be certain about that, because the guys in Westerly were often changing specs on the guitars, trying new things. I used to see weird stuff that was sent down from RI that surprised me, and when I asked about it, was told that the guys in Westerly were trying experimental changes to some of the models. I saw a few really rough looking prototypes that hadn't been refined. I will say that Guild was a company that never rested on its laurels. They were always trying to come up with something new. There was so much negativity about the S series solidbodies at the time. The salesmen couldn't sell them and were complaining, so management was searching for a better design that would sell. I did a lot of R&D work on the M-80, for instance.
    Yes, and I've seen a few strange prototypes and one offs over the years. I doubt this is one of them. This guitar is a mess, unless someone thought a slide version of an S-100 with a maple plank in the middle of the body would be a good idea. But it has a an actual serial number so we could just wait for Hans to chime in.