So you buy a guitar from a private party on a forum like this one...

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would say it depends on what the seller would have told you prior to the sale (unless it was not inquired about then), also Holidays tend to slow things down with all the typical traveling, family visits etc....

But if I had to shoot an average guess, I would say that a couple of days after payment, the thing should be on its way.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I would say it depends on what the seller would have told you prior to the sale (unless it was not inquired about then), also Holidays tend to slow things down with all the typical traveling, family visits etc....

But if I had to shoot an average guess, I would say that a couple of days after payment, the thing should be on its way.

Agreed!

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The answer is, "it depends." In the case of most of the guitars in my signature below (purchased from the enablers on this forum), they almost all shipped within a week or so AFTER the seller was comfortable my check had cleared, at my insistence that the seller wait until that happens. I can't speak for other forums since this is (probably) the only place I'm comfortable buying used without an in-hand inspection.

I have something on the way to me that hasn't shipped after a couple of weeks, and probably won't ship this week or even next since its coming from a place with winter weather to me here on the east coast, and the seller and I agree completely that we want to wait for more temperate weather.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Communication is key. I expect constant communication and deliver the same. If it's not shipped within 24 hours, I make sure to let the other party know that.

Neal

Reaction score
Some of it also depends on the seller's proximity to a shipper. If the seller lives where I live, there is no reason that the guitar shouldn't be on its way within 72 hours of receipt of payment. If you live way out in the country and only "come to town" once a week, then that's different.

gilded

Reaction score
Archie, I sent you a PM on the subject of shipping in cold weather.

Thanks, Harry/gilded

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I agree with the other posters. Unless other arrangements have been made (like paying by check, cold weather, for a few examples) shipment should be made within 72 hours.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would prefer to wait, than risk a nice guitar in freezing weather. But, those things all should be discussed during the purchase. For instance, next week, where I am in So Cal, the high temps will be in the mid 40s. Seeing that on the weather report, I might contact my hypothetical seller and tell them to hold it for at least a week for the weather to improve.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
During the holiday season, I might cut people a little slack. Lots of us travel this time of year, and even those who don't often have family obligations.

General rule, though, yes, 48-72 hours seems fair (unless a check has to clear or the weather is frigid).

Reaction score
I've only bought with THIS forum and the Gretsch forums, so my experience is limited.
On the Gretsch Pages, I traded my pretty beat and poorly modified Gretsch Tennessean for a well-played 92 JF30...straight across. While I was trying to figure out how to proceed, the guy had already shipped the JF30. His comment was "You can always trust the Gretsch guys". I was amazed at his confidence and honesty.
I also bought a Guild guitar off of THIS site, and all I did was send the check and he sent the guitar immediately. Great communication before, during and after. Never an issue.

I honestly believe you get a better deal, and a better feeling of security, dealing on the forums, like these. But if you paid by check, give enough time for the check to clear! Keep in constant communication with the seller too.

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
the high temps will be in the mid 40s. Seeing that on the weather report, I might contact my hypothetical seller and tell them to hold it for at least a week for the weather to improve.
Some parts of the country, right now, 40's WOULD be the improvement in the weather!

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
I have bought several items from LTG members. The shipping response varied, but in the end, each one was a good transaction, YMMV. A new member with only a post to sell, you might take with a grain of salt and caution.