D55 - really?

merlin6666

Reaction score
Oxnard D55 - really?

Just noticed this on FB:

15622306_10153979001846105_1259506803510140973_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/guildguitars/photos/a.298445806104.150579.98726376104/10153979001846105/?type=3&theater

Can anyone tell any dffierences to other D55s just from the picture?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
They got the railroad tracks on the fretboard, but I kinda think they shoulda got the abalone in the rosette too, even in the bridge pins.
It's possible this is a prototype and they just skipped those details for the purpose of getting one done.
And it's hard to tell from just lookin' but I hope that's an ebony fretboard and bridge?
I don't do Facebook so I can't really follow that link to see if those questions are answered.
Website's still got the NH pics and specs up, even though it's flagged as "Coming Soon"..

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Al, not sure if the bridge was made of ebony from New Hartford; I don't think so. Fretboard, yeah, should be... Agreed it looks like they might've dispensed with the abalone rosette. Certainly, that's been true of D-55s on and off over the years.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Agreed it looks like they might've dispensed with the abalone rosette. Certainly, that's been true of D-55s on and off over the years.
Had it continuously for last 20 at least, though.
Granted it's a personal thing, and I like Cadilllacs to have a lot of chrome, but it was also a specific answer to Merlin's question about differences to other D55's.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

merlin6666

Reaction score
Had it continuously for last 20 at least, though.
Granted it's a personal thing, and I like Cadilllacs to have a lot of chrome, but it was also a specific answer to Merlin's question about differences to other D55's.
:friendly_wink:

Yes hard to see details in the pic. I think I noticed herringbone rosettes in some pre-1995 versions. I actually really liked that, almost as nice as the Orpheum wood marquetry design.

jazzmang

Reaction score
I'm guessing its a bad angle of the picture. I'd bet there is an abalone rosette, just like NH had.
Remember, the thickness of the abalone rosette went down significantly in the NH years. This is likely the same.
Everything else looks identical, bridge included.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We'll see. Let's focus on the coolness of the fact that they're starting to build D-55s!!!!!!!

Yeah, baby. This is exciting!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It sure is encouraging to see a new D-55 from Oxnard. And it's shiny!

Aristera

Reaction score
The following is taken from a review of the D-40 in the latest issue of Acoustic Guitar.

"Those 1960s and ’70s-vintage models are still revered (Guild plans to offer a D-40 Traditional model based on those classic ’60s models with nitro-cellulose gloss finish and a dovetail neck joint)."

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thought it had Waverlys (looking at the B string tuner), but checking on the Guild website, it appears they are Gotoh 700 series open backs.
The D55 used to have Grovers in the past so that's new, right?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thought it had Waverlys (looking at the B string tuner), but checking on the Guild website, it appears they are Gotoh 700 series open backs.

Nope, The Guild D55 hasn't had Closed back Grover Tuners since the days of Tacoma production. The change to the Gotoh open back 700 series was made at the beginning of New Hartford production on all traditional series guitars and they kept them through 2014 when New Hartford closed.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, Johnny, that's right. They look like Waverlys, but they are open-back Gotohs (well, at least that's what they were in New Hartford -- I expect it's the same out of Oxnard now).

Funny story about the Gotoh tuners... If you see a New Hartford-era F-412 or F-512, you'll find slotted-pins on the headstock. Those were custom Gotoh tuners ordered by New Hartford, but the slotted pins were actually a mistake in the order. Anyway, folks liked them and they stuck with 'em. :) I wonder if Oxnard will continue with those.

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you see a New Hartford-era F-412 or F-512, you'll find slotted-pins on the headstock. Those were custom Gotoh tuners ordered by New Hartford, but the slotted pins were actually a mistake in the order. Anyway, folks liked them and they stuck with 'em. :) I wonder if Oxnard will continue with those.

Slotted capstans à la Fender? Guess that would take care of sharp string ends on the headstock, interesting!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Somewhere I have the exact model number, which guru jr sent me back in the day. Aside from the gold, there was a subtle difference between the tuners on the D55 and my NH F47R, with the D55's being smoother...I think they were the same ratio.

Found it...the ones on my 2013 D55 are Gotoh SE700/06M-LR-GG

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My D-55 Proto from NH has an ebony fretboard, but I would guess a rosewood bridge. Same open backed tuners. They DO turn more nicely than my F47R , also from the Connecticut guys.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Slotted capstans à la Fender? Guess that would take care of sharp string ends on the headstock, interesting!

I absolutely love the slotted Gotoh's on my F512, Makes string changes a lot easier and quicker for someone with a bum arm! I wish I had them on all of my 12 strings but you can never find them for sale anywhere. I guess the order mix up that brought them into existence is the reason why. Thanks for the Fun Fact Chazmo!

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very cool, TX. I never got to try stringing one. I've always thought the slot was a great idea (even if it was a mistake).

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup, Just like stringing a vintage Strat. Cut your string leaving the length of the string 2 tuner posts longer than the tuner you are stringing. Take the end of the string and insert it into the top center hole of the tuner in the slot. Bend the string down in the slot and with a little tension on it tighten it up. No sharp ends, plenty of wraps, no slippage, and most of all the High Octave "G" string which we all love and adore (and sometimes can be a real Pain in the A..!) is a breeze to install without breakage. Takes me 10 minutes to change the strings on my F512 with a hand winder and a bum arm while it sits upright on the guitar stand. That is with 2 Great Danes sniffing around and wanting to be the center of what is going on as well, LOL!

TX

idealassets

Reaction score
New Hartford installed the Gotoh 700 open butterbean style tuners since 2008 in D55's. But either will do, I like my Shaller's on my 2007 D55, they're just right and stay locked in tune.

Last edited: