D55 - really?

idealassets

Reaction score
Yup, Just like stringing a vintage Strat. Cut your string leaving the length of the string 2 tuner posts longer than the tuner you are stringing. Take the end of the string and insert it into the top center hole of the tuner in the slot. Bend the string down in the slot and with a little tension on it tighten it up. No sharp ends, plenty of wraps, no slippage, and most of all the High Octave "G" string which we all love and adore (and sometimes can be a real Pain in the A..!) is a breeze to install without breakage. Takes me 10 minutes to change the strings on my F512 with a hand winder and a bum arm while it sits upright on the guitar stand. That is with 2 Great Danes sniffing around and wanting to be the center of what is going on as well, LOL!

TX
I am impressed, even with the slotted tuning pins I can't get new strings on in just 10 minutes. But I enjoy being very careful with what I am doing, and then the tuning process takes at least 2 times, but once that sweet spot is hit it stays right there after the new strings get stretched a little.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I enjoy being careful with mine as well Ideal, It is just that if I am Just changing strings and the fret board doesn't need it's twice a year light cleaning and conditioning I only change 2 strings at a time instead of pulling them all off and then putting them all back on. By starting with the low E and Low E octave strings It allows me to leave the rest of the strings tuned to pitch so when I bring the 2 new ones back to pitch the guitar is still in the "Sweet Spot" and you don't have to take 30 minutes to get the whole guitar back to the proper tuning, it is already there. The slotted tuning posts allow you to change 2 at a time as you don't need a lot of side by side string room like you would with regular tuning posts. Since they go in the top of the post instead of the side it is quick and easy. 10 minutes may be on a good arm day but I am positive no more than 15 minutes on a bad arm day. LOL!

TX

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
A 2007 with Schallers? Were they changed out? My 2007 Tacoma-build D55 had Grover Rotomatics, and I was disappointed Guild did not continue to use those, I liked them a lot. We were told it was to lighten up the headstock (at LMG 1?), and there are at least a couple Youtube videos that show how heavy they really are. When I acquired my newer D55 I was concerned about the tuners, but I should not have been, the Gotoh's are fine.

Last edited: