NGD: S-300 off of Craigslist

pj29

Reaction score
Well, I finally got a decent deal on a guitar off of Craigslist. This S-300 popped up right before Christmas and I contacted the seller. I was able to buy it the day after Christmas for (what I think) was a pretty good deal. I could have driven for a cheaper price, but with it being so clean and original I didn't low ball. i had lost out on a nice black '78 S-300 last year and been keeping my eyes out.

Not sure of the year, I pulled the cover off the control cavity and someone had lined it with copper foil tape at some point in it's life. The wiring was all original though. Original HB-1's, I guess i could figure the year a little if I were to pull one of the pickups and check on the back.

It is in amazing condition though. Only two dings of any significance that I can find and the neck is perfect. No buckle rash on the back either. Some pick marks but otherwise in shiny condition. It is pretty light too, I'm guessing in the mid 7 pound range. No pickguard on this one. The case seems original but I'm not sure.

I think it's been sitting a while, gotta put on a new set of strings and play with a little. The seller knew nothing about it as he had picked it up from an estate sale. From the era of papers that were in the case I would suspect it was last played in the early 90's.

Here are some pics:

2JXu1c.jpg

xXMD7P.jpg

FUkiq0.jpg

FP9v4l.jpg

yciyLH.jpg

vnCRg3.jpg

a9OLQo.jpg

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Please sell that to me when you're done with it! Beautiful!

The foil is original. Here's an S300A-D:

_B0Z4441_800.jpg

Post the serial number or email it to Hans and he'll tell you what year. I'm guessing 1979.

Maxer

Reaction score
What a fantastic score. Looks so clean, too. Congrats, big time.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is Gorgeous! I love the deep rich color on that one. Congrats and enjoy it in good health!

TX

pj29

Reaction score
From what I can see in the photos I would say 1981.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks for all the S-300 love!!

I posted a better picture of the serial from the headstock and it looks like you are correct, 1981. Strangely enough, there isn't a tag inside the control cavity. Maybe they stopped doing that in the 80's? I am cool with '81. It is so clean that it doesn't matter what year to me. Am I correct in thinking that these are some of the last guitars with the original style HB-1's?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for all the S-300 love!!

I posted a better picture of the serial from the headstock and it looks like you are correct, 1981. Strangely enough, there isn't a tag inside the control cavity. Maybe they stopped doing that in the 80's? I am cool with '81. It is so clean that it doesn't matter what year to me. Am I correct in thinking that these are some of the last guitars with the original style HB-1's?

I've seen HB1s up to 1994, but those were 4-wire (sound the same). Not sure when they changed to the 4-wire configuration.

My '86 X500 has HB1s. I don't think I've owned any from between those two dates.