Consensus on Oxnard M20 Quality

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi all - I've had my eyes on the USA m20 for awhile now and almost pulled the trigger a couple of times. None locally to view so looking online.

I've seen many glowing reviews about the model and it looks and sounds great in all the videos I can find. I have, however, read a few quips here and there about the fit and finish of these not quite being up to par - should I worry about buying the "first run" from the new factory? On Reverb, some listings show what looks like painted over dust specks on the head, uneven tuner alignment on the rear, etc., although on the whole the thing looks pretty dang good.

Perhaps I'm putting too much weight on the few negative things I've read, as on a whole it's been well-received, but figured I'd post here to get the general consensus on the quality of these first-run Oxnard M20s.

Any direction is welcome, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Double post - didn't realize these threads needed to get approved :)

Last edited:

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi macandcheese, welcome to the forum!
Back in sept my wife (who is only now learning about & to play guitar) bought online an Oxnard M 20 for me.
When i got to see it i saw it was perfect-that is i can find nothing off about it.
I will say that the all mahogany sound isnt everyones cup of tea. To me its more mid-rangey (its the only way i can describe it) it is definitely different from a spruce or cedar topped guitar, but i love it.
Chances are you will too.
Take the plunge from an online dealer with a decent return policy & there ya go.
Some with more knowledge than me will be along. Welcome!

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks kdavid - yep love the sound on the hogs / it's a good size for me so any trepidation just comes from the few off-reports I've found online. Looks like I just might be pulling the trigger here soon. Thanks!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard mac,

I wouldn't hesitate with the new, early Oxnard-built models. I don't think our quibbling was at all about quality or sound... I know they used a different finish than we're used to. And the M/D-20 are very plainly-adorned instruments. Nothing wrong with that at all.

As kdavid suggested, all mahogany is not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I am quite fond of the GAD versions of the D-25 which were all-mahogany, but I've had no opportunity to put one of those up against a D-20. I think it'd be interesting.

Anyway, keep us posted. And, yes, your first posts are moderated so be patient until we can approve before they show up on the board.

Cold Finger

Reaction score
Welcome macandcheese,
I'm fairly new here myself, and my Oxnard M20 is the 1st Guild I've owned in over 40 years.

I like it. I like it ALOT!

All mahogany is what I wanted and it easily satisfies my desires. Small body blues guitar for a one man basement orchestra.

I bought the bursted version and I will admit that the burst doesn't really do it for me the way I had hoped. But it's not bad. It may just be the flat/satin type finish that throws me off, maybe if the headstock was glossy it would help. Anyway I look at it, it is certainly much better than some I've seen. But if I was going to do it again I'd probably go without the burst.

And I think the case could be better for the price. It's an OK case but not on par with TKL or even Gator. It holds the guitar very well but latches seem cheap and don't line up as well as they could.

Overall I love the guitar and am very happy with it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG, macandcheese!! I've no personal opinion on this topic as I've not seen one in person, so I'll leave that to those who have. Enjoy your time here! :encouragement:

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks all, very helpful. This would be my first Guild. Shoot, my first "nice" guitar at that.

Besides the M20, I'm also considering the Larrivee 00-03R - but it's close to double the price. I'll be sure to leave an update should I go for the Guild!

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi mac, it's me again. :).
I just had to fondle eloise (the m-20) again & look her over.
I gotta say that I really can't find fault with her anywhere. I love the satin finish, especially on the neck as my hands sweat really bad & a neck with nitro finish gets sticky & i have to rub it down with naphtha & 0000 steel wool occasionally & wipe it down every time i play. Not so much with the satin finish. & the finish on the rest of it doesn't bother me at all. :)
guess im saying to order with confidence :peaceful:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've never owned an M-20 but I've played a number of oldies and also recently a new one. They've all played & sounded really good. I love the mid punch & projection of an all-hog guitar (this goes for electrics as well). They record clear & easy too. So I'd say "go for it!"

-Dave-

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I bit the bullet. Snagged a new one off Reverb (including shipping) for $1080!

Time to start refreshing the tracking link ;) Very excited!

jedzep

Reaction score
Weird...I've had my perfect M20 on Reverb at a ridiculously low price for 3 weeks. Free ship too. Not a peep from anyone. It has a tone similar to my awesome '30's era Gibson L0, which is partly why I flipped it. That should be reason enough to want one. Very nice, but it made me miss my '62 M20.

Where were all the interested buyers, I wonder, when mine was sitting there? Didn't like the sans pick guard thing?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Weird...I've had my perfect M20 on Reverb at a ridiculously low price for 3 weeks. Free ship too. Not a peep from anyone.
Where were all the interested buyers, I wonder, when mine was sitting there? Didn't like the sans pick guard thing?

I'm gonna guess that there are other factors in play:
Possible favorable credit terms available from sellers, potential for local pick-up, concerns about conducting internet transactions with complete strangers, (the OP here is brand new member) and finally, a HUGE point for a guy like me:
First-owner warranty.
OK, lets call spade a spade:
When it comes to guitars, I prefer virgins.
I still get that "honeymoon moment" feeling every time I open the case of my F65ce.

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
I get that. I just didn't see any sellers of new ones at the low price mac got his for. Lowest new price was just under $1300. Guess I wasn't paying attention. Credit option is a biggie.

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
@jedzep, I saw yours and did consider making an offer. But, I wanted to go with a new one for a few reasons (I ended up ordering from CME).

The biggest was the peace of mind with a new warranty, and a really clear and friendly return policy - especially since I had concerns about some fit and finish issues.

The pick guard thing wasn't a biggie really, but if I'm buying a new guitar at that price, I don't want any legwork on my end. I'm sure it's a simple procedure but I've never done it before and I'm not using my new girl as a test run ;)

They also allowed offers, and I was able to negotiate down to near your asking price - most sellers that had these as "new in box" didn't have that option.

I've actually seen your comparison to the L0 elsewhere online and that was a reason that convinced me to grab one of these in the first place!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First off Congrats Mac! Can't wait to hear your review when it gets there! Apparently I was typing this as you were posting so forgive the similarities.

I get that. I just didn't see any sellers of new ones at the low price mac got his for. Lowest new price was just under $1300. Guess I wasn't paying attention. Credit option is a biggie.

A lot of those New ones were priced at $1300 or best offer. Sounds like a shop accepted a best offer. Makes sense with it being the end of the year and the shop possibly not wanting to carry over inventory that they would have to pay taxes on come January 1st.

The warranty issue is a big thing as well. Recently we have had a new member post that his 6 month old M120 has already developed a sunk in soundboard. Granted it is not an American made Guild but still there is no telling what could happen to a 6 month old used guitar that is from a new Factory, Owners, and Builders even if it has had the best care for those 6 months. Without a warranty someone could be up the Creek.

I am in Agreement with Al about buying new if possible. I too like being the only owner of a guitar and especially playing it through the break in period. It is part of the bond I have with them. Earlier this year I searched high and low to find a still new in a shop F50 Maple Jumbo with the DTAR pickup from the New Hartford facility for my birthday. I finally found one and while I could have spent far less on a used model I preferred to pay the extra for the brand new one with warranty that I am the first and only owner of.

Last thing is the current used market for the New M20. The guitars have not been out that long and there are already several popping up for sale used. Honestly yours was priced the best out of the used ones I have seen but with an initial new cost running normally between $1200-$1350 with free shipping new I think folks just don't want to take a chance on a used M20 for a couple of hundred less. I figure the used market pricing will stabilize in the coming year with more people deciding to sell their M20's and move on to something else. I figure with the New price where it is that the used ones will start between $800 and go as high as $1000. Also remember that for the same price of $1000 there is a good chance of picking up a Vintage Guild M20 that some may prefer to the newer versions as well.

Don't take it personal that someone didn't jump on your M20 right away either. On top of all the reasons listed above the timing isn't the best for selling right before Christmas. The month before Christmas a lot of folks have already bought their gifts and money is tight, Even for the impulsive buyer.

TX