Consensus on Oxnard M20 Quality

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
I would live with it.

Sorry West, too much money spent on a brand new guitar to have a fault like this. If I had got this used, or if it was listed as B stock, then sure, it's not a significant issue. But on a brand new guitar from a brand new factory? It's small but once I noticed it, it's unmissable.

For CME's part, they offered a small refund since they said it shouldn't have gotten past inspection on their end - but are unable to exchange for another m20 as they are sold out.

I'm waiting to hear back from Guild - whether they just fix the finish on this one or send me a replacement, I would hope they will try to do right on this issue.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I hope Guild offers to fix this. Personally I'd never let go of a fine sounding & playing instrument for the sake of cosmetics. I'd get the cosmetic issues dealt with if they bugged me. Now this is no judgment of anyone else…I just happen to love guitars that look beat up but perform great. :)

910D85FF-75F4-4BB2-A484-815B22C7E0B7_zpstcsuxscm.jpg

E621C360-4967-4C1E-BDAD-60DE4E6FA4B0_zpshiswcsuc.jpg

-Dave-

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry West, too much money spent on a brand new guitar to have a fault like this. If I had got this used, or if it was listed as B stock, then sure, it's not a significant issue. But on a brand new guitar from a brand new factory? It's small but once I noticed it, it's unmissable.

For CME's part, they offered a small refund since they said it shouldn't have gotten past inspection on their end - but are unable to exchange for another m20 as they are sold out.

I'm waiting to hear back from Guild - whether they just fix the finish on this one or send me a replacement, I would hope they will try to do right on this issue.

Awesome. Glad CME is offering a refund. That works!

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
Personally I'd never let go of a fine sounding & playing instrument for the sake of cosmetics.

-Dave-

I feel quite petty about this as is, haha. And trust me, I dig the look of a well-used guitar as much as the next, but those are imperfections I should be adding to the guitar not ones that come from the shop ;) I'll keep ya posted as to the outcome.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I feel quite petty about this as is, haha.
Don't.
If you could have seen it on the shelf and rejected it, that's one thing.
Otherwise it's what warranty is for and if it IS possible to smooth down that spot (I don't know if that varnish finish can be touched up) I'd get it done since you like the sound of THAT guitar.
It would also indicate whether or not CMG considers that acceptable or not, in whether they'd honor a warranty claim for a finish flaw. You'd think it'd be a no-brainer, it's gotta be cheaper than a swap, if possible.
And yes, if it involved shipping the guitar I'd be inclined to pass up the work even if free.
Yes please do keep us posted, there's a small group of us for whom warranty is a "pet topic", we consider it to be a very important part of Guild's complete brand identity and value.

jedzep

Reaction score
My experience as an antique refinish guy tells me you are dead-on about this, adorshki. This isn't a finish you 'touch-up' as it will be obvious and draw the eye to the repair. It's a hard one to blend. Living with it will serve you well. Replacement is the best option, as I don't think there were are any 'duds' out there in Ren F's re-upping of the first two models. They all likely have the same tonal qualities.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
if it were me i would take the "small refund" and keep the guitar and just leave it the way it is, and is feel real good about getting some cash back, on a guitar that is going to develop cometic flaws anyway in relatively short time, in my world at least.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is a serious finish flaw on a brand new guitar. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And how you deal with it is again, up to you. Money back would be a good thing. But starting out with a nearly perfect guitar is also an important thing to some. It's based on YOU and your perception of the issue. I also question whether they can repair this finish issue without re-doing the whole guitar. I'd bet there's at least some toner in the finish, otherwise I doubt you'd see this so much. And once there's color in the finish, getting it all perfectly even again is going to be rough.

But either way, GET SOME MONEY or USE THE WARRANTY to get a different guitar. Your choice. Sorry this happened, but stuff like this does. Make sure Guild and Cordoba know about it so they can use this as a training/educational tool for their QC people!!

I know it's hard to wait for the guitar again, but ..... you'll be glad you did. :encouragement:

bobouz

Reaction score
On a new Gibson, I asked for a 15% discount from the seller for a finish flaw. They refunded the 15% to my charge card, and the guitar & I have lived happily ever after. Since then, I've compared mine to others, and I'm so glad I kept it.

If you truly like the sound & feel of this one, do not assume the next one, or the next, will be the same. Stick with the winner in hand.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
On a new Gibson, I asked for a 15% discount from the seller for a finish flaw. They refunded the 15% to my charge card, and the guitar & I have lived happily ever after. Since then, I've compared mine to others, and I'm so glad I kept it.

If you truly like the sound & feel of this one, do not assume the next one, or the next, will be the same. Stick with the winner in hand.
I'm with bobouz on this one, but that's also just ME. I'd rather have the money back and I've picked guitars that were LESS perfect than others because they SOUNDED better. However, I know some people who absolutely wouldn't be able to tolerate this flaw and it would make them crazy (well, okay, maybe MORE crazy..) so, as long as you know yourself, you'll get a satisfactory outcome!!

pjheff

Reaction score
If I could acquire a new instrument which is retailing at $1279 for $1080 and then get a "small refund" -- essentially an unplayed guitar at used pricing with full warranty -- I'd take the money and run. But then I rarely shop new.

macandcheese

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's good to hear both sides! To be honest if I saw this thread and wasn't the OP I'd probably say "live with it" as well. But, for my money I want a new guitar to be, well... new. I'll have plenty of time to give it my own signs of wear.

To Guild's credit - they've been super helpful, acknowledging that their quality standards for this price point are "next to flawless", and suggesting it could have gotten wet in transit. Guild paid for return shipping to Oxnard, and are going to process a replacement directly - I sent the guitar back the other day. Reverb also stood by their refund, which knocked off $80, so for $1,000 I'll (hopefully) end up with a flawless brand new M20 made right here in the USA.

Not bad for an extra couple week's wait :)